• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
layton1985

Who Has Converted Their 205 To 2.0 8V Turbo?

layton1985

Hi I have been working on my car the last few days putting in a 406 sri turbo engine all in all I have been on it around 5 days about 6 ish hours a day and its now running, I was wondering how many other people have actually tried it and pulled it off themselves or bought a dog conversion and straightened it out? There are so many different ways people approach the conversion I thought I would put on here my experiences.

Time taken roughly 5 days at 6 hours per day (30 hours),

engine taken from 1998 406 sri with 73,400 miles,

universal intercooler used,

wiring loom done by myself,

Bottom mount fork extended by 15mm group n bottom mount,

1.9 be3 gearbox,

Standard exhaust downpipe cut angled to suit and welded,

radiator lowered to allow intercooler pipes to pass over the top,

slimline fan fitted to radiator,

bbm turbo coolant hose from back of water distribution block to heater matrix to bottom of header tank,

Also added thatchman cat 1 toad alarm,

Problems :-

Gearbox??? I want a gearbox with longer legs for motorway miles, not 4000rpm at 70mph the revs are way to high missus 1.2 punto does 70mph at 3000rpm much better,

vss??? do people connect this?? were to? I heard it improves the fuel consumption which if it's true would be a very good idea to get connected up, also a couple of other wires that I can't think of off the top of my head,

Intercooler? what other intercoolers are out there that may be smaller I don't like the intercooler poking out for all to see looks rough and I want it to look standard,

Hope this is an interesting and useful thread for people to have a read, look forward to reading your posts.

Miles

On a Friends car from this to

post-43-0-89616100-1323302694_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-68081800-1323302715_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-45115200-1323302819_thumb.jpg

Miles

Intercooler hidden from all

post-43-0-97300500-1323302934_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Baz

If it is doing 70 @4k then it's not a 1.9 box i don't think.

I bought a still-born conversion years ago, fitted the engine and made it run, but didn't like it. The shell wasn't great so it ended up in bits.

205Tapart.jpg

Edited by Baz

chipstick

I bought a still-born conversion years ago, fitted the engine and made it run, but didn't like it. The shell wasn't great so it ended up in bits.

205Tapart.jpg

Never mind the 205. Anymore pics of the RS200?!

welshpug

Not seen many 2.0 8v turbo that doesn't look a mess, though Miles does a good job there of making it a little better!

Sounds like a 1.6 box on 195 50's.

layton1985

very neat job there miles looking at how it started off I have pics to follow, i will mention when I took the engine out the bettery tray/ engine mount was torn all the way accross like paper, it was just hanging in there by the two bolts that go on top of the mount which barely do anything, someone had left the two side bolts out which take majority of the strain, it was about to break.

I will upload pics soon, there are a few things I will be changing in the near future as don't like the outcome for xample the intercooler,

what do you reckomend for a low rpm on the motoway then welshpug, any ideas?

thanks Lee

layton1985

Here's a pic of the wiring loom nearly finished just need to find out if I need vss etc

20111129_232809.jpg

heres a pic of the engine in without the gearbox

20111130_154939.jpg

Edited by layton1985

welshpug

yes you do need a VSS with the turbo ecu.

kyepan

205Tapart.jpg

is that an rs200 in the background!!

Rich_p

is that an rs200 in the background!!

I thought that as soon as I looked at the picture!

mang

IMG_0260.jpg

This was all done by my own fair hands

rallyeash

looks good :), i often work down in gosport, down that direction tomorrow actually

mang

looks good :), i often work down in gosport, down that direction tomorrow actually

Bet you luv the traffic you might see the motor about my misses is driving it at the mo while i put 2lt turbo in her 205

layton1985

Looks a good job that mang, heres a couple more pics, above engine bay

20111208_163832.jpg

front bumper with intercooler hidden behind

20111208_163807.jpg

front of car, I'm not keen on the intercooler pipes being visible I can't put the driving lamps there either as I had to trim the bumper to fit.

20111208_163757.jpg

how do we connect up the vss were does it go does anyone know?

Miles

Just make some up unless your lucky to find some S/H ones are the XSi blanking covers for the lights, The VSS replace's the normal SPeedo out

layton1985

ahh right, I was looking on autodata and the vss cable comes from pin 9 on the ecu which say vehicle speed sensor - signal amplifier - 406, and i have a cable labled as tachometer which goes to pin 46 on the ecu and says tachometer - 406, confused now as toiwhich one I use??

Tom Fenton

Not a 2.0 turbo, but the left hand red 205 is turbocharged and has an intercooler behind the bumper.

Compare it to the standard red 1.9 which is the right hand red 205.

HolmeMossJuly2010003-1.jpg

layton1985

Can't tell the difference looks like a good job

welshpug

green one is a turbo too, isnt the white one supercharged? or is that your bodied MI tom?

with the VSS, you need a 12v switched, an earth, and a wire to the ecu, ignore the references to the signal amplifier as you don't use it in a 309, 205 or a 306 (even with the electronic speedo)

tachometer would be the rev counter, nothing to do with the vss.

Tom Fenton

The white one is the throttle bodied Mi, I had to employ one of my works drivers that evening to take both cars out :lol:

allanallen

20111208_163757.jpg

how do we connect up the vss were does it go does anyone know?

Looks good buddy, I made up some thin ally blanks for my inner fog lamp holes. Dead easy and once you've painted them Matt black they look almost factory.

Have you any pictures of the intercooler with the bumper off?

Al

layton1985

with the VSS, you need a 12v switched, an earth, and a wire to the ecu, ignore the references to the signal amplifier as you don't use it in a 309, 205 or a 306 (even with the electronic speedo)

tachometer would be the rev counter, nothing to do with the vss.

so would that wire from the ecu be the one that i have labled as vss from pin 9 in the ecu? switch live can come from relay from ignition being switched on?

welshpug

yup :)

same as doing a V6 as it happens, just make sure you get the wires the right way round or it wont work :blush:

Edited by welshpug

layton1985
yup :)

same as doing a V6 as it happens, just make sure you get the wires the right way round or it wont work :blush:

I was just wondering how they go, now I have the vss cable, there are a couple of earth's on the ecu, and I have a live when ignition is switched on, what do they go to on the car?

here's a pic of the car on four wheels, looks a little lower than usual, certainly wasn't like that before I started work on it

20111209_142108.jpg