• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
layton1985

Who Has Converted Their 205 To 2.0 8V Turbo?

Daviewonder

Heres a few pics of mine. I managed to fit an Evo IV intercooler and keep it totally stealth like :)

SAM_1413.jpg

Image0117.jpg

• Like 1

layton1985

Nice example of a rare laser green is that a recent pic?

Starting to add up now, cossie intercoolers, evo intecoolers, universal intercooler myself gonna change it tho, I see everyones piping is different to, some have kept factory boost control, gone for a manual boost controller myself not got enough pipe with it tho to reach inside the cockpit, I'm gonna change the air intake to so the filter is behind drivers headlight and pipe goes down by servo because the master cylinder is pressed hard against it at the min and i might ot need to extend the lower bracket?

layton1985

Has anyone got a pic of the vss signal amplifier and a picture of the vss plug please as I have figured the wiring out now I think? but never seen these two parts

a wire from signal amplifier to switch live

a wire from signal amplifier to my tachometer

a wire from signal amplifier to pin 9 ecu

and two wires to the vss plug

Thanks Lee

welshpug

are you using an aftermarket ecu or getting the original mapped? (you said about different injectors)

layton1985

I'm keeping standard ecu as it is, my mates turbo conversion standard ecu with boost turned up made 216 bhp and 280 ftlb torque

here's his print out I'm hoping to get similar figures

dynoprintoutterrys.jpg

dcc

Didnt think standard ECU will boost more than 1.1 bar?

Daviewonder

Here's a link to one of the topics we talked about earlier :)

Link

welshpug

they dont dan, but you don't need much more than that when setup properly for nicely over 200, they will need a map if you use different injectors.

eddie bullit

How does this conversion fare against the usual MI16v and GTI6 conversions for longevity and performance/economy. Where would the Skip Brown conversion fit into this? The reason I ask is that I would like to modify mine but also keep it original..if that makes sense. What performance would you expect from Skip Brown and cost wise. Anyone had one converted recently by SB?

Sorry to hijak.

Edd

layton1985

1.1 bar is about 16 psi and it is mental fast, I couldn't believe it myself alot of people slag off the 2.0 8v turbo engine, but upto now from my own experience with them and my mates car they seem really strong, quite reliable (as so far with a hammering just less than 2 years no faults) and really really fast, as far as mpg goes in the 406 it did 28mpg which isn't excellent but not terrible and for every 25kg you save fuel consumption improves by 2% which will be around 18% so 33 ish mpg if your 205 weighs about 900kg the 406 was 1400kg ish, some sites say less some say more I've gone for the medium.

I had an mi16 309 gti and it was quick, revved right up untill 8025 rpm no problem, power was brilliant and instant not that bad on fuel either was better than my 205s anyway, I've never had a gti6 but can't see it being much different other than its a heavier engine if I remember right? iron block.

eddie bullit

1.1 bar is about 16 psi and it is mental fast, I couldn't believe it myself alot of people slag off the 2.0 8v turbo engine, but upto now from my own experience with them and my mates car they seem really strong, quite reliable (as so far with a hammering just less than 2 years no faults) and really really fast, as far as mpg goes in the 406 it did 28mpg which isn't excellent but not terrible and for every 25kg you save fuel consumption improves by 2% which will be around 18% so 33 ish mpg if your 205 weighs about 900kg the 406 was 1400kg ish, some sites say less some say more I've gone for the medium.

I had an mi16 309 gti and it was quick, revved right up untill 8025 rpm no problem, power was brilliant and instant not that bad on fuel either was better than my 205s anyway, I've never had a gti6 but can't see it being much different other than its a heavier engine if I remember right? iron block.

Cheers for the info!

layton1985

Hi guys, I have put my exhaust and lambda sensor on etc and its running, the fan comes in and everything seems fine, but when i rev it the car bogs down as though its gonna stall before springing into life? it feels really weak I had to fight with it to get it to go up a kerb to get it into the bodyshop today.

At the front of the throttle body there are two plugs a yellow plug and a grey/white plug, below them there are two nipples that vacuum pipes go to, one of them I have going to the boost control and the other to the map sensor that plugs into the ecu they both suck hard, have I got something obvious mixed up here. Hoping to have the car road worthy next week with 12 months Mot etc.

Thanks Lee

layton1985

this is the general layout of my engine with the painted coulours showing the feed to turbo but as said above it bogs down, as I rev it but then picks up as long as its in higher revs it is ok, a few pops ave come fron the air intake pipe to???

turboboostillustration.jpg

Arahan

Getting there eh Lee! Nice!

layton1985

It sure is mate I put in for an MOT and guess what it failed on??? . . . . . I'll just tell you,

it failed on the bonnet insecure at the front and washer motor not working, well the bonnet was insecure as it was a new one and had just been sprayed, I had lost the catch that goes on the slam panel and the washer motors wires I pulled out to re-do as they were a bodge up, the only advisory I had was a front tyre nearly on the limit.

Boosts so hard the intercooler pipe comes off so thats next job to do, oh and it's booked in at PIPE WERX in L40 4BT for a custom stainless downpipe as the rest of the system is stainless and I wont have to buy another in the future and spend all day trying to get it to fit again especially as they are getting harder to order these days.

Also I need to get a 3 pin vss from a Peugeot 306 to connect up to my car.

I will be taking some pictures soon when we have a dry day, I'm off work and the car has had a clean.

Daviewonder

Well Done. Any photos? :)

peter

I've never used the vss thing on my turbo one an it still pulled 13 second 1/4 miles so I wouldn't even bother!

layton1985

Cheers Davie, pics will follow shortly

Well I understand it improves fuel consumption, it tells the ecu what speed the car is doing so it can alter bits and bobs accordingly, I am not overly clued up on it put know for a fact it goes to the ecu and that can be for only one reason really, so deffo gonna do it, it's probably an hour tops to do so worth it.

peter

limits boost at lower speed... (possibly :lol: )

layton1985

Quick update, after completing the conversion and having a custom downpipe making from pipwerx out of stainless steel 2.5", I used the car for I think four week before a rod came through the front of the block on the motorway, the engine is ruined, whislt it llasted it was very fast and loads of torque, but having owned a turbo as much fun as it is when the turbo kicks in I don't think it's as good as a tuned Na car.

So I have decided to for get buying a block for maybe £200 and repairing it, I am going to put a 206 gti 180 engine in my 205 which arrived the other day for £600 with gearbox and shafts and loom that I don't need, and put a decent hdi 90 engine in the 309, the reason I am doing this is the 309 is roomy and has a big boot ideal for up and down the country and shopping etc a daily driver, the 205 can be my project weekend driver and occasional track day car, I have never been on a track as of yet though so all to come.

I will update the rest of this topic with the last pics I took soon and will be starting a thread for the EW10J4S 180 conversion including engine bay respray once I have everything together.

Well and truly skint and gutted wasn't the world when the engine died, picking up Omex management today aswell.

• Like 1

layton1985

Also the rest of the engine, manifold etc is all up for sale if anyone wants any bits?

The manifold is 2.5" stainless that reduces to 2" as I was gonna have the rest of the system is 2.5" later on in the month, so it will slide into a 2" system, engine came out of a disabled 406 sri with 72,000 I still have all the paperwork and mot's for the 406.

omega

sorry to hear about your bad luck after you had done all that work.seen the 180 install and it looks very neat but it looks a lot of work,[ but i dont think you like things easy do you?]

will watch out for your new projects,will be very intrested in your 309 as thats something i would like to do are you useing a gti or a diesel as a base model?

good luck

layton1985

It's a 309 gti auto 2 door, My 205 had a shoddy wired turbo diesel in it from a 306 so gonna transfer everything over to the 309 and neaten it up as I go along, looking for small power splitters and fuse boxes to make the engine bay realy neat, theres crimps everywere, which is not a good look a neat engine bay is easier to work on in the future if I ever need to.

I might put the battery in the boot aswell, in a box sunk into the floor as low as it can go opposite the fuel tank to even it out and make room in the engine bay, not sure yet?

Slo

Ive got 2 of these engines out of 605's one being my own car for 8 years. I gather the gearbox (ME5T) has to be changed as it is massive and wont fit inside the tiny 205 bay which is a real shame as its manual and i have 2 of these as well. Ive read that the 1.9 and even 1.6 box will fit the engine but the part im confused about is the timing. How do you get the timing to work? Do you keep the original turbo flywheel, does it fit the 1.6/9 box or do you swap it with the 1.6/9 flywheel and are the timing marks the same, also what about the clutch?

Henry Yorke

The standard flywheel in a 205 is no good. You need to put a toothed one in. It also means you can run a bigger clutch