• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GTIJIM

205 Gti Ecu

GTIJIM

well put the new ignition amp on with some thermal transfer paste and started it up and the engine is still running the same also forgot to mention if you put your foot to the floor the engine starts to die and the only way it will idle or rev is if you slowly press the accelerator then it will get up to around 6000rpm, past 3000rpm the engine runs quite nice but anything below it sounds like it running on 2 cylinders :(

Carbs4me

have you still not changed the ecu?s

it does sound like the problem i had.. high revin the car was fine, ticking over it was fine. it wernt fast or anything tho when i tryed to drive it (apart from mine didnt cut out!)

one other question Have you pluged in the air flow meter (AFM)? was it smoking when running? sounds like its worth checking

GTIJIM

have you still not changed the ecu?s

it does sound like the problem i had.. high revin the car was fine, ticking over it was fine. it wernt fast or anything tho when i tryed to drive it (apart from mine didnt cut out!)

one other question Have you pluged in the air flow meter (AFM)? was it smoking when running? sounds like its worth checking

still on the lookout for one lol there quite hard to find if you dont want to pay stupid money :lol:

the AFM is definitely plugged in, it smokes allot when running and smells like pure petrol :blink:

Tom Fenton

The ECU on a Jetronic 205 in my experience VERY VERY VERY rarely fails or causes any issue.

Change it if you like but I suggest it is a waste of time.

pug_ham
The ECU on a Jetronic 205 in my experience VERY VERY VERY rarely fails or causes any issue.

Change it if you like but I suggest it is a waste of time.

I agree but have you got the right ecu fitted?

g

GTIJIM

im not sure as its the original ECU for the old engine and because this engine is different it may need a different ECU?

GTIJIM

just got a new AFM off eBay for £3.00 :D so that will rule that out now just got to get an ECU:)

Tom Fenton

Do you mean a NEW AFM? Or do you mean an old second hand one that may or may not be just as knackered as any other?

GTIJIM

well new to me so may be nackered but it did say it was all working when on the last car, it comes with the bracket aswell which is good as mines broken :lol:

Edited by GTIJIM

Carbs4me

Quick Question well might be long winded..

The engine, from what i remebered.... there was a piece of metal with a hose running straight down the middle and a sensor which im guessing is for the water temp, that bolts to the right hand side of your engine.. when looking at it bolted to the cyclinder head to be exact.

Im no pugoet specialliest but from what i can remember my F reg did have this part.... and my new engine didnt need it as the engine temp sensor was at the back of my new engine.

The ecu for the old engine wouldnt run my newer engine (I think it was the newer model)

have you still got the old engine? look at them closesly make sure that there exactly the same engine model. look for where the plugs are placed etc... if its slightly diffrent it will most likely be the ecu. also check that power is going to your AFM plug not sure what power reading you should be getting tho

If need be... i have about 3-4 ECU's and one is chipped! unsure which one it is now tho. i can maybe look though them and send you a couple for a cheap price!

welshpug

is the blue plug on the blue sensor on the thermostat housing? (or next to the SAD housgin on earlier engines)

as a few have already mentioned its quite unlikely to be the ecu, its just a box of resistors at the end of the day, no chips in sight :lol:

Paul_13

Sounds daft but my mate had a similar problem on his mi. It was an earth fault with the coilpack.

Unbolt it from the engine/chassis see if it makes a difference, doubt it will but worth a try

GTIJIM

Quick Question well might be long winded..

The engine, from what i remebered.... there was a piece of metal with a hose running straight down the middle and a sensor which im guessing is for the water temp, that bolts to the right hand side of your engine.. when looking at it bolted to the cyclinder head to be exact.

Im no pugoet specialliest but from what i can remember my F reg did have this part.... and my new engine didnt need it as the engine temp sensor was at the back of my new engine.

The ecu for the old engine wouldnt run my newer engine (I think it was the newer model)

have you still got the old engine? look at them closesly make sure that there exactly the same engine model. look for where the plugs are placed etc... if its slightly diffrent it will most likely be the ecu. also check that power is going to your AFM plug not sure what power reading you should be getting tho

If need be... i have about 3-4 ECU's and one is chipped! unsure which one it is now tho. i can maybe look though them and send you a couple for a cheap price!

hi

unfortunately i dont have the old engine as the previous owner did the swap so ive got nothing for referance, im not sure about the metal with a hose in the middle, ive not seen one in the engine bay :huh: i know the water temperature sensor is to the right hand side of the SAD and there are a couple of senders at the back of the engine though im not sure what there for could one of them be engine temperature?

how much would you be looking for an ECU posted?

GTIJIM

Sounds daft but my mate had a similar problem on his mi. It was an earth fault with the coilpack.

Unbolt it from the engine/chassis see if it makes a difference, doubt it will but worth a try

hi

do you mean unbolt the coil from the top of the inlet plenum? or the ignition amp form the plate on the side of the engine?

GTIJIM

is the blue plug on the blue sensor on the thermostat housing? (or next to the SAD housgin on earlier engines)

as a few have already mentioned its quite unlikely to be the ecu, its just a box of resistors at the end of the day, no chips in sight :lol:

hi

the blue plug with the blue sensor is to the right of the SAD housing under the dizzy :)

Carbs4me

do you know if the engine has recently had the inlet manifold off? could also be a gasket failure... could be a air leak?

I think he means take the plate off and try it with out it been bolted up.

GTIJIM

do you know if the engine has recently had the inlet manifold off? could also be a gasket failure... could be a air leak?

I think he means take the plate off and try it with out it been bolted up.

hi

ive had the inlet off but i bought a new gasket for it when i put it back on :)

ill try taking the plate off see if it makes a difference:D

Paul_13

Take the coilpack off the inlet plenum mate ;)

GTIJIM

Take the coilpack off the inlet plenum mate ;)

OK will try that tommorow :D

GTIJIM

well taking the coil off didnt make a difference :(

when i went to start it today it backfired :( and the back pressure made the AFM blow off the inlet pipes :blink:

could it be timing? as i think ive set it but it could be 180 out?

pug_ham

Are your HT leads definately on in the right order & dizzy timing set fairly close?

Looking at your picture of the 1.9 dizzy below, the cap is on the wrong way imo so it could well be 180' out if you fitted it as it was but so the connectors were at the back.

5tzxgi.jpg

The vacuum capsule (disc on side of dizzy) should be at the back, same side as the lead connections.

g

GTIJIM

this is how ive got the dizzy at the moment with the vacuum capsule at the back with the cap facing downwards

19mjhk.jpg

and the HT leads are set up like this

wlwxfm.jpg

the dizzy is set in the middle at the moment

welshpug

that firing order ois wrong, it should be 1342 not 1243

GTIJIM

ah ill swap 2 and 3 then see what happens :)

GTIJIM

well got the HT leads changed over but not started it as i kind of annoyed the neighbours with the loud pop :lol: will try tommorow:D

it would make sense the leads being wrong as it would be firing on 1 and 3 at the right time but 2 and 4 would be firing at the wrong time hence the running on 2 cylinders and backfiring

we'll se what happens tommorow :D

Sign in to follow this