• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GTIJIM

205 Gti Ecu

jackherer

The metal heatsink plate with the ignition amp bolted to it is suspiciously shiny. Unbolt the amp from the plate and check it has some thermal transfer paste on it, if it doesn't it will overheat and misfire.

pug_ham

Yeah, the head has the correct shape inlet ports so it looks more like a proper 205 GTI engine.

The dizzy is a ducellier type, didn't think they were fitted to the 1.6 though & the ignition amp is in the standard phase 1/1.5 location but looks far to clean & shiny.

What year/reg is your car?

Engine id tag / number is either missing or has been painted over when the block was done.

It should be on the top edge of the block in your picture below;

post-71-0-21728300-1313097603_thumb.jpg

Above the top allen bolt through the engine mount bracket.

If all else fails, whip a sparkplug out & rest a straw on top of the piston to measure the stroke when you turn the crank (by hand).

g

GTIJIM

The metal heatsink plate with the ignition amp bolted to it is suspiciously shiny. Unbolt the amp from the plate and check it has some thermal transfer paste on it, if it doesn't it will overheat and misfire.

Hi

the plate is suspiciously shiny because i sepnt 2 hours polishing it :wub:, when i took the AMP off there was no thermal transfer paste so its proberably been off before :huh:

GTIJIM

Hi

how would i measure the stroke?

and what the difference between a 1.6 and a 1.9 stroke?

pug_ham

As mentioned above, take a sparkplug out & rest a long straw on top of the piston.

Then turn the crank in the normal direction of rotation (clockwise) by the crank pulley bolt & measure its range through one whole revolution.

1.6 stroke is 73mm & 1.9 88mm.

g

GTIJIM

oh right seems fairly simple :)

will get that done tommorow :D

also i found this in my bag of bits

32zuo2u.jpg

looks like the origional gti one, makes me wonder why he changed it :huh:

GTIJIM

hi all

had a go at measuring the stroke today but im not sure if ive done it right, i put a straw down the spark plug hole and set the piston to bottom dead centre then measured where the top of the straw was then i cranked it over until the piston was a top dead centre( by hand) and measured the top of the straw, i kept getting different readings first one being 108mm and the second being 94mm :blink: gone wrong somewhere :(

pug_ham

Its not the most accurate method to measure the stroke tbh & will only give a rough idea but it shouldn't be so far out imo.

Ideally you alsio need to hold the straw in one place against the forward edge of the piston & guide it through-out the stroke so it doesn't catch on the liner or drop to the lower edge or better still get use of a vernier probe that can thread into the sparkplug hole but thease are hard to find unless you know a decent engine builder or garage that has one.

Have you checked for the sump spacer?

What is the part number on the spare dizzy body?

g

GTIJIM

hi

will have to have another attempt at it me thinks :lol:

there doesn't appear to be a sump spacer on it

ive forgotten what the part number was but it looks the same as one ive seen on eBay which was for a H reg 1.9 gti so i assume the spare is the original for the car :huh:

pug_ham

The 1.6 dizzy looks the same externally so a picture isn't much use tbh.

You might have the 1.9 CTI 105bhp engine in which could explain the yellow injectors afaik.

The measurements you got are far to big to be from a 1.6 engine imo.

g

GTIJIM

oh right,

it would be much easyer if the last owner told me what car he got the engine out of lol :lol:

ill try measuring the strokes again tommorow to confirm

if it is a 1.9 then i don't see what would cause it to run so badly as its over fuelling and not idling and sound like its running on 2 cylinders, also it sometimes backfires through the inlet

also ive put a new set of spark plugs in it and somethings made them crack up and ones even broken in half :o

28lrt7b.jpg

pug_ham

Are all the ecu plugs fitted to the correct places? If the SAD & CTS are mixed it'll run like a dog.

How tight did you tighten the spark plug? Its a hollow ceramic plug & they aren't hard to break if you aren't careful removing the socket.

Have you got the correct HT lead order & the incorrect mixture of ecu, afm & dizzy would also cause issues.

g

GTIJIM

Are all the ecu plugs fitted to the correct places? If the SAD & CTS are mixed it'll run like a dog.

How tight did you tighten the spark plug? Its a hollow ceramic plug & they aren't hard to break if you aren't careful removing the socket.

Have you got the correct HT lead order & the incorrect mixture of ecu, afm & dizzy would also cause issues.

g

im not sure about the ecu plugs will have to have a look in a minute, they have been plugged in since i got the car so he might have put them the wrong way round?

the spark plugs were only tightened just over hand tight, they were new about a month ago so dont see why they have cracked so bad :huh:

the HT leads i have triple checked and are definitely in the right order :)

ill have to check the numbers on all the AFM ecu and dizzy to match them up :D

GTIJIM

Hi

are the SAD and the CTS connectors colour coded? like blue connector to blue plug and black connector to black plug?

GTIJIM

Hi all

the spare distributors part number is 0237 009 066 so the spare is a 1.9 dizzy, ill check the ducillier ones part number aswell :)

GTIJIM

right then

the only part number i could fine on the other distributor was 004 0D028, and underneath it says 2525653A which is apparently for a 1.1 tu9 engine :o:huh:

pug_ham

Which distributor, the one fitted to the car or the spare?

g

GTIJIM

Which distributor, the one fitted to the car or the spare?

g

the one fitted to the car, the spare was the 1.9 one :o

GTIJIM

right got the 1.9 one fitted and started the car and its still the same :(

going to try changing the ignition amp for the one i bought the other day see if that helps :)

Carbs4me

i had this problem... After a Engine change 1.9 to another 1.9

was the ECU, you cant run certain engines from a ECU from a older or newer engine. there must of been some change pugeot did. get the part number off your ECU and look for another ECU for a 1.9 with a diffrent part number on it... ideally it would have been great if you could of got the ecu with the engine.

was the ECU, you cant run certain engines from a ECU from a older or newer engine. there must of been some change pugeot did. get the part number off your ECU and look for another ECU for a 1.9 with a diffrent part number on it... ideally it would have been great if you could of got the ecu with the engine.

pug_ham

The dizzy number you posted above is used on various cars looking at this website (2525653a is 16th listed oe number) so not just the TU engine.

g

jackherer

Hi

the plate is suspiciously shiny because i sepnt 2 hours polishing it :wub:, when i took the AMP off there was no thermal transfer paste so its proberably been off before :huh:

going to try changing the ignition amp for the one i bought the other day see if that helps :)

You weren't 100% clear earlier, did you apply new thermal paste on the amp when you refitted it or not?

GTIJIM

oh right never thought that the 1.9 ecu,s were different, i think he just bought the bare engine to save on cost and he's used all the parts off the old car to rebuild it :lol:

will have a look for a different 1.9 ecu see if that cures it :D

GTIJIM

The dizzy number you posted above is used on various cars looking at this website (2525653a is 16th listed oe number) so not just the TU engine.

g

hmm so could still be a 1.9 dizzy?

my brothers 1.1 TU engine has the same dizzy on it so ive sold it to him as a spare lol :lol:

GTIJIM

You weren't 100% clear earlier, did you apply new thermal paste on the amp when you refitted it or not?

Hi

no i haven't put and paste on it when i re fitted it as i didn't know it needed any, i have bought some thermal transfer paste now so will put that on when i put the new AMP on:)

Sign in to follow this