• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
GTIJIM

205 Gti Ecu

GTIJIM

Hi all

can a 1.9 ECU be used on a 1.6 engine? if not then what would be the problems the engine would have

as the previous owner changed the engine and i haven't been able to get it running right as it has a really bad misfire (like its running on 2 cylinders) wont idle and over fuels like crazy and i think he may have changed the 1.9 engine for a 1.6 engine

any help appreciated

thanks

Jim

smithy

I would think the 1.9 ecu will have different fuelling parameters than a 1.6 one.

What you need to do is first confirm engine code to determine if 1.9 or 1.6,will be 3 letter code on plate front left face of block behind alternator mounting bracket.

Then check Bosch number on dizzy,ecu and air flow meter to see if they are all matched.

Pugs in Pieces

sounds like an air flow meter fault, both cars will run using either ecu, albeit not amazingly but i have run either on either engine to test things before. a 1.6 ecu should end with the 3 digits 340, 1.9 most common ecu ends in 359, 1.9 dizzy 066, 1.6 dizzy 086, 1.6 air flow meter 056, 1.9 air flow meter 109. check these match although again the engine will run with any of these. if the engine does not have a sump spacer it is more likely to be a 1.6 engine.

Edited by Pugs in Pieces

GTIJIM

hi there

the engine doesn't have a sump spacer on it and when the person changed the engine he has adapted the wiring loom to fit a different coil and a different distributor which makes me think hes put a 1.6 in it

ill have a look for the engine code in a bit to confirm it

thanks

Jim

Pugs in Pieces

should be no need to alter the dizzy wiring, coil position has changed from wing to manifold or vice versa most likely.

smithy

As above dizzy wiring same for all only thing that can change is if changed from clip cap to screw cap or vice versa.

• Like 1

GTIJIM

well the distributor had the amp attached to it by the looks of it and he's adapted it to fit the amp on the side of the engine bay which would have been where it was originally on the 1.9

smithy

well the distributor had the amp attached to it by the looks of it and he's adapted it to fit the amp on the side of the engine bay which would have been where it was originally on the 1.9

has it got a bosch or ducillier dizzy?? brown or black cap?

sounds to me like a ducillier if there is a flat part that looks like it should have a amp on it.

GTIJIM

yeah its a ducillier with a black cap, the engine came with a different one aswell which i think is a Bosch with an orange cap on it which i think was the 1.9 one?

GTIJIM

hi all

if i buy a 1.6 ecu would i have to get a matching 1.6 AFM or can i use any 1.6 ecu with any 1.6 AFM??

thanks

Jim

• Like 1

Ryan

hi all

if i buy a 1.6 ecu would i have to get a matching 1.6 AFM or can i use any 1.6 ecu with any 1.6 AFM??

thanks

Jim

You can use any, as long as they're both from a 1.6.

It's mixing 1.6 and 1.9 that causes problems.

GTIJIM

OK, just got to find an ecu and an AFM now lol :)

jackherer

The injectors need to match too, 1.6 injectors with a 1.6 ECU and AFM and 1.9 injectors with a 1.9 ECU/AFM.

GTIJIM

oh right

ill have to check if mine are 1.6 injectors, they look original to the engine so i suppose they are but knowing the previous owner he's changed them lol

jackherer

1.6 are blue and 1.9 are yellow.

GTIJIM

mine are yellow :(

looks like im going to have to get new injectors aswell then :(

GTIJIM

hi all

does anyone know what this pulley is off (one on the left)?

2u44i2a.jpg

mmq4oz.jpg

it was on the engine when first got the car and was the original one to the engine but i replaced it with the one on the right so i could fit the alternator belt as with the thicker pulley the belt sat too far out on the bottom so the belt was angled

Edited by GTIJIM

Pugs in Pieces

looks like a gti6 crank pulley on the left, orig 205 one is on the right. injectors and ecu i have if needed.

pug_ham

It sounds to me like you could have either just the dizzy from or the 1.9 engine from a 405 SRI or BX GTI, no sump spacer & ignition amp on the dizzy body.

Do you have the normal 205 GTI inlet manifold?

You need to look for the engine id tag as mentioned above, a small tag with a three digit code on top of the block near the r/h engine mount by the front face of the head / #4 sparkplug.

If it hasn't been removed or fallen off first.

Pulley looks like an XU10 one imo.

g

GTIJIM

It sounds to me like you could have either just the dizzy from or the 1.9 engine from a 405 SRI or BX GTI, no sump spacer & ignition amp on the dizzy body.

Do you have the normal 205 GTI inlet manifold?

You need to look for the engine id tag as mentioned above, a small tag with a three digit code on top of the block near the r/h engine mount by the front face of the head / #4 sparkplug.

If it hasn't been removed or fallen off first.

Pulley looks like an XU10 one imo.

g

hi

the inlet manifold on it is off the old engine as is the injectors and the fuel rail so i think he has swapped them all over for some reason :)

and i think the tags fallen off as i cant find it lol

GTIJIM

looks like a gti6 crank pulley on the left, orig 205 one is on the right. injectors and ecu i have if needed.

sorry mate missed your post somehow :huh:

how much would you want for the injectors posted?

pug_ham

You need to find out exactly what engine you have fitted before buying parts for a 1.9 imo, if it is a BX GTI or 405 SRI lump the cylnder head ports coud possibly be the wrong shape for the 205 GTI inlet manifold.

What is the part number on your dizzy because thats not a 205 GTI one afaik with the ignition amp on the body.

g

GTIJIM

Hi

heres a picture of the engine without the inlet on(not the best of pics lol),

20p4ow2.jpg

the ports seem to match them on the new gasket and on the inlet but for some reason he,s changed the inlet for a 1.9 one with the fuel rail and injectors :huh:

also heres what's been done to the coil wiring

v6546a.jpg

i had 2 coils with the car one being the rectangle plug and one being an oval plug

heres the coil which is on the car at the moment

2drgmr9.jpg

ill have to check the number on the dizzy in a bit but heres what it looks like (its been modified so the AMP is at the side of the engine and not on the distributor itself)

34yvccn.jpg

Edited by GTIJIM

Anthony

Did the person that you bought this car from have a horse tethered outside, a set of pointy boots, and say "Yee-haw" a lot per chance? :blink:

Whilst the coil is the correct basic type, it's from some other car and has the wrong wiring connector, hence the loom has been butchered to make it fit.

The dizzy certainly isn't a normal 1.6/1.9 (Bosch) dizzy, and again, I suspect that it's off another car entirely. I know some of the 405's had similar Ducillier dizzys.

The ignition amp should either be on the drivers side wing near the fuel filter (Phase 2 and late Phase 1.5 models) or on the passenger wing near where the wet coil would be (Phase 1 and earlier Phase 1.5 models) and shouldn't be on either the engine or the dizzy.

GTIJIM

Did the person that you bought this car from have a horse tethered outside, a set of pointy boots, and say "Yee-haw" a lot per chance? :blink:

Whilst the coil is the correct basic type, it's from some other car and has the wrong wiring connector, hence the loom has been butchered to make it fit.

The dizzy certainly isn't a normal 1.6/1.9 (Bosch) dizzy, and again, I suspect that it's off another car entirely. I know some of the 405's had similar Ducillier dizzys.

The ignition amp should either be on the drivers side wing near the fuel filter (Phase 2 and late Phase 1.5 models) or on the passenger wing near where the wet coil would be (Phase 1 and earlier Phase 1.5 models) and shouldn't be on either the engine or the dizzy.

funny enough there was a horse outside :lol:

the Amp is on the passengers side on a big metal plate like so

fc49wm.jpg

iwjd34.jpg

which is where it was originally i believe

i have this distributor aswell which came with the car which also appears to be the original for the old engine

5tzxgi.jpg

Sign in to follow this