• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
pugpete1108

[car_overhaul] Reshell, Restore And Rebuild

james_pug

09511eb2.jpg

Pretty much ready to go now.

You just going to drop that engine straight in yours and run standard management Damien?

pugpete1108

09511eb2.jpg

Pretty much ready to go now.

You just going to drop that engine straight in yours and run standard management Damien?

that all four of them 206 wheels on there?

what are the tyres like?

damien

dont have a clue, it does come with the gti6 loom so that would be the easy option.

on the other side i got the old girl started today (new plugs/leads) and apart from the tapping head the bodies sound great, also upset nextdoor. got them telling me to shut that f-ing thing up. :blush:

oh and sarah tryed to help today by losing my 13m socket down the bloody pit <_<

pugpete1108

dont have a clue, it does come with the gti6 loom so that would be the easy option.

on the other side i got the old girl started today (new plugs/leads) and apart from the tapping head the bodies sound great, also upset nextdoor. got them telling me to shut that f-ing thing up. :blush:

oh and sarah tryed to help today by losing my 13m socket down the bloody pit <_<

best bet would be to unplug yours and plug the new one in with the bodies and stand alone wiring all in place.

just needs a tidy up really.

flog the loom and ecu, plus i might have your old bottom end (ooer :lol: )

james_pug

Or you could flog the standalone and loom to save it needing mapping and raising more funds, when are you getting the new engine? Could get it in and running over a weekend.

I didn't even look at the tyres Pete lol I chucked some air in 2 of them as they were fairly low and I welded up the bulkhead and slapped some underseal on it :)

damien

pick it up tomorrow (sunday) its only in bristol so a 6 hour drive :wacko:

just need to decide on what to do, i liking to the idea of running the standed setup and having a very clean/tidy setup after seeing pics of "GKZ 206" miami engine bay but you cant beat the sound of bodies. if i keep the bodies i keep the managment.

pugpete1108

well the shell got taken away this morning and thus ends an era for me and d638ytf, 9 years of ownership gone :(

good side is i now have space for my nice new, mostly shiny shell :D

i did take a picture but for some reason it deleted itself, the car had the last laugh it would seem

pugpete1108

not really done alot as i have been at work or entertaining the kids as its half term.

got the doors off the new shell.

removed the rear beam to give back to james, just gotta do the front subframe and tank oh and servo etc, then i can start stripping the underside ready for underseal.

also had the wiring loom all over the front room floor much to chars joy and have tidied it right up so i only have the bare essentials in the engine bay.

bought a new headgasket and wellseal and am going to put the engine back together and see how it goes (using a good torque wrench and angle guage this time :ph34r: )

i'll get some pics up tomorrow.

how's your's going?

damien

been working all week, but off this weekend so im aiming to get the engine out tomorrow, sunday im planning on painting up the new engine and cleaning the engine bay ready for you to pop over and sort that hole out

pugpete1108

right a mini update:

made a good start on tarting up the engine bay, and tbh there is not that much rust. plenty of surface but thats all in hand.

before:

DSC_0047.jpg

after;

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

hopefully i can get some free time at the weekend seeing as its fathers day and get some more done.

pugpete1108

bit ore done today.

mocked up some new ally waterpipes from the heater.

DSC_0054.jpg

also got the rest of the bay done in primer.

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

just need to get the engine back together and in to adjust the exahust manifold so the engine is not tilted anymore.

james_pug

Getting on well Pete, water pipes look good were they from?

pugpete1108

I painted I black today so looks even better.

Should briefly have the engine back in soon to sort out the manifold etc.

The pipes are just some 20mm ally pipe and some hydraulic clamps im looking for a ph2 header tank to finish it off

damien

pics? i want to see the blackness

pugpete1108

just a quick one then Daim.

this is just one coat, will need a couple more for sure. but i ran out of paint.

DSCF0223.jpg

hows yours coming along?

Edited by pugpete1108

damien

havent done anything since you was round as ive been on a 15 night stretch and today is my first day off, im going to crack on with getting the bumper off, taking that light rust off painting the engine bay tomorrow.

what paint is that? high temp engine? matt? rattle can? as thats how i want my engine bay

pugpete1108

Its super tough satin black from euro car parts. 5.50 a can

pugpete1108

right, i had a cheeky day off today as we ran out of jobs at work so thought i would get cracking on the underseal (been putting it off for ages)

firstly i cleaned of 20yrs of crud and oil, then i used a wire brush on my drill to remove all the rst bubbles and bits of flaking underseal. (no pics sorry)

then i went over all the bare metal with some anti rust primer, then over with one coat of waxoyl based underseal.

i brushed it a little thin as i plan on putting another coat on when this has gone off a bit even though it says it only needs one coat.

DSCF0240.jpg

DSCF0242.jpg

DSCF0239.jpg

then i thought id get the fuel pipes done, and it turns out my set were in very good condition, with only light surface rust which came of with a bit of wet n dry.

i then gave them 2 coats of hamerite smooth silver (whilst hanging them on the kitchen light :ph34r: ). note the tyre marks on the wall and the gearbox and battery tray in the corner, i think im pushing my luck with this one as the old lady is getiing the right hump.

before:

DSCF0243.jpg

after:

DSCF0245.jpg

now need to start on above the fuel tank and boot floor where there is slightly more surface rust, but nothing too serious thankfully

pugpete1108

small update,

rear beam now back on along with the tank.

new brake lines and fuel hoses in place, so im pretty much done with being under the car thank god.

time to get the front end built up for tilting the exhaust manifold and turning the car around in the garage then to start on the inside.

pugpete1108

well she is back on her wheels, for a while anyway whilst i get the engine in and out to mock up a few bits before painting the subframe and engine etc.

looks a little high at the back? hoping it will come down when the engine is in.

enjoy:

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0087.jpg

clean bay :wub:

DSC_0089.jpg

pugpete1108

little update before i go off on holiday.

the engine bay is basically ready for the engine to go back in, exhaust manifold is angled and rewelded:

DSC_0091.jpg

also flatted off and polished the front valance after i sprayed it (rattle cans too). gave the bumpers a quick coat of satin black to make them look new and put them all back together ready.

DSC_0100.jpg

DSC_0102.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

pugpete1108

made alot of progress really now that my boy is also at school, i have free time when i work the late shift woo hoo

mostly been cleaning alot of stuff but today i made the effort to get the downpipe manifold mod which is now required seeing as i reangled the manifold and apparently didnt need to :lol:

i dropped the subframe which was made easier given the fact i have nothing really bolted on to it (other wise i think i would have remove the two top mounts and pulled the engine forward).

then i chopped both the downpipe and manifold flexi joints off and welded them together.

ta da:

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

its now refitted along with the subframe and is real snug :)

i did have to cut off and move the lambda bung which meant patching over the existing hole, but 3mm steel should be sufficent for that.

then the postman bought me a nice gift:

IMG_0026.jpg

i can now get on with rebuilding the struts etc.

Edited by pugpete1108