• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Obey_R

[car_overhaul] 1992 1.6 - Small Restore And Getting Road Worthy!

Obey_R

Colour is on! Sorry for the bad photos, taken on my phone.

Need a rub down and polish, but getting there!

IMAG0060.jpg

IMAG0058.jpg

IMAG0059.jpg

toddydal

how much are you paying mate,it would have been better to have stripped it down a bit more,ie take sunroof trim off handles, locks,bumbers etc it just looks like a flash over

Obey_R

I didn't take the rear bumper off, but all the front end is stripped down - sunroof trim neither of us had the time to do so he pulled it up enough to get the paint underneath. I'm not paying bodyshop prices so I don't expect it to be perfect, but it will be alot better than it was.

tomcolinjones

Looking a lot better, like toddydal says it would be a nicer job if you striped it as far as you could, but if thats all you had time for then you did your best!

cant wait to get mine all nice and white!

keep up the work.

Obey_R
S6300161.jpg

wracing

looking great mate :ph34r:

welshpug

OH DEAR GOD NOT NANGKANGS!!!!!!!!!!!

:ph34r: just noticed they're 195 50 15 and you've got 14"'s, PHEW !

Edited by welshpug

Anthony

That was my reaction as well when I saw the photo, until I spotted the size :ph34r:

Obey_R

Noo, they're just a set of wheels at work. However I am getting them wrapped in some lovely budget £30 per corner tyres on Monday! :ph34r:

As soon as funds allow I will upgrade, but I need these wheels on before I can fit the calipers and that needs to be done asap! MOT on Thursday...

Anthony
Noo, they're just a set of wheels at work. However I am getting them wrapped in some lovely budget £30 per corner tyres on Monday! :ph34r:

As soon as funds allow I will upgrade, but I need these wheels on before I can fit the calipers and that needs to be done asap! MOT on Thursday...

Decent tyres can be had for that sort of money per corner though, so why on earth put budget rubbish on there?

Falken ZE-912 in 185/60R14 are £32.50 a corner (inc VAT) from Camskill

Obey_R

Purely because I need them fitted on Monday, deadlines and such. If there is anything for that kind of money, up to £45p/c where I can get them fitted by Monday I'm all ears?

Anthony

Falken's are fairly commonly available, although whether anywhere would have that size in stock is another matter entirely.

Camskill normally keep them in stock and do next day delivery though if you can hold off until Tuesday?

Obey_R

Cost then rises with postage and fitting, though. I'll have a call around for some Falkens tomorrow at work, but chances are they're going to have to wait until it's MOT'd, wouldn't be anymore than a month.

Anthony

£35 including postage per tyre, still leaving a tenner a tyre from your £45/corner budget to get them fitted (normally I'd expect to pay half that). I'd be surprised if somewhere local couldn't get them in quickly and for a reasonable price though.

Obey_R

I'll have a phone around tomorrow and see - are there any other good ones I should be looking out/asking for?

Thanks

Anthony

There was a recent(ish) thread about tyres for 14" wheels with a few suggestions, so best off doing a search.

There's not a brilliant selection of decent performance-oriented 185/60R14 tyres out there for 1.6 wheels these days unfortuntately, certainly compared to 195/50R15 for 1.9 wheels that still (for now atleast) has plenty of decent options available.

miamichris

As Anthony says, go for the falkens, I have 512's on my rallye steels and they're a great tyre. You should be looking for 912's though as the 512's are the old version of these.

Obey_R

Thanks for the encouragment Anthony, I'm getting 5 Falken 912's fitted on Monday morning for £37p/c :lol: Happy man

Anthony

That's a pretty good price, and sooooooo much better than going for some ditchfinders as you were originally intending.

Obey_R

Half of the car is now polished to a very good finish, still waiting on the shuts and bonnet to be painted - he says we're still on for a Tuesday/Wednesday finish. Tyres are getting fitted tomorrow, 5 x Falken ZE912 at £37 fitted inc. VAT. That means I can get the 1.9 brakes fitted and hopefully the whole system bled.

I've got the underlay and carpet back in this evening, along with a drivers seat - I forgot how good it was to sit in a 205! It's been almost a year :lol:

So plan for tomorrow is get the brakes fitted and bled, wheels on then hopefully get the bumper on.

Deadline is 0915 Thursday 17th.

I'm getting insurance sorted out tomorrow so I can drive it to the MOT to make sure brakes are bedded in properly etc, best price so far is £1269.27 - not too bad...

Obey_R

Sprayers cracked the windscreen getting it back in! So have to find a new one and get it fitted before the MOT on Thursday!

qwerty
Half of the car is now polished to a very good finish, still waiting on the shuts and bonnet to be painted - he says we're still on for a Tuesday/Wednesday finish. Tyres are getting fitted tomorrow, 5 x Falken ZE912 at £37 fitted inc. VAT. That means I can get the 1.9 brakes fitted and hopefully the whole system bled.

I've got the underlay and carpet back in this evening, along with a drivers seat - I forgot how good it was to sit in a 205! It's been almost a year ;)

So plan for tomorrow is get the brakes fitted and bled, wheels on then hopefully get the bumper on.

Deadline is 0915 Thursday 17th.

I'm getting insurance sorted out tomorrow so I can drive it to the MOT to make sure brakes are bedded in properly etc, best price so far is £1269.27 - not too bad...

wow £1269.17, that sounds steep!

Daviewonder
wow £1269.17, that sounds steep!

I thought it was quite reasonable considering I paid the same price when I was his age around 12 years ago.

Obey_R

Yeah for a 19yo with only 2 years no claims, fully comp. I think it's fairly reasonable - especially seeing as I was paying more than that for my 1.0XE only 2 years ago!