• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Obey_R

[car_overhaul] 1992 1.6 - Small Restore And Getting Road Worthy!

Obey_R

As this is slowely nearing completion (hoping for early Feb MOT) the welding is very close to finish now. James has been again today and done a cracking job on fitting the wing, getting all the joins sealed up and a few coats of filler. He's also put a plate above the hole under the rear bench seats.

So since he started the work for me he has chopped out a donor quarter pillar and sill, chopped out my old one and welding the new pillar in, fitted a new n/s sill, fitted the wing, patched up the tank rust and sealed/filled the whole lot - take this as your official big thank you!

Photos of todays work...

s6300096.jpg

s6300088s.jpg

s6300089.jpg

s6300095.jpg

So all thats left now is to get the tank fitted so I can start servicing the engine, just an oil change and filter, coolant etc, fit the 1.6 injectors in place of the 1.9's. Then get the interior back in, clean the carpet, fit the (hopefully) reconed seats if my nan gets a move on! <_<

Collecting the new beam from Anthony on Sunday so get that fitted with new mounts, fit the drums back on with new cylinders and handbrake cables - all the copper brake lines were finished the day before yesterday, calipers are fully refurbed waiting for fitting. I've got the top coat ready to do the wheels, probably monday evening. Need to get some new disks on there but I think they'll have to wait until first few days of Feb when I get paid.

So as soon as James has got the top coat of filler done (hopefully next weekend) then it will be booked in for the respray!

allye

red calipers you tart -_-

Looking good though. I NEED to finish mine by mid may <_<

dumbiron
red calipers you tart -_-

What is this seasons colour then ?

CallumCurwood

My Pm isn't working at the moment for some apparent reason :/

Would it be possible to put some pics of the driver door please before i pick it up on monday please? -_-

Obey_R

Yes mate, I've just got in from work so I will get them done tomorrow afternoon after the other job!

Atari Boy

Looks as though it is coming on well Ross.

I bet you can't wait to get it back on the road.

Obey_R
Looks as though it is coming on well Ross.

I bet you can't wait to get it back on the road.

I think back is the key word there, Jonny! I've only ever driven it 30 seconds down the road to get petrol <_<

But yes, it's all coming along nicely, not long left -_-

wracing

No worries mate, anytime.

A few pictures showing the sill work. sorry they are late.

164895_495674081838_700946838_5775236_4318148_n.jpg

163749_495674586838_700946838_5775252_1236870_n.jpg

Little more adjustment needed on the door then ill be happy. Just a shame that it has taken us so long!

Thanks

James

Obey_R

Well time was never an issue, at least not until I realised I've only got 3 weeks to finish it lol

Just had a look in the daylight, all looks fine but like you say the door could be jiggled around a bit, where needs more filling? Because to me it all looks fine?

zebedy101

It's looking really good mate!! Can't wait to see it on the road. Time has flown past since you first started it.

wracing

the rear quarter isnt flat enough yet, if your going the whole hog and getting it a full respray then i've got to make sure it is dead flat :lol:

Obey_R

You know more than me, so do what you want :D

First top coat on the wheels, I like the silver very much!

s6300105m.jpg

Obey_R

Just come a' cropper with the last wheel - sanding it down with wet 800 to flatten the primer ready for paint and it was bubbling :) Don't know why, I don't think it was the damp as I didn't wash them before the primer, perhaps a build up of dust... Either way it now needs another few coats of primer on the bits that are now bare metal again, then a sand before the first top coat.

As for good news, I've got 4 wheels now with two layers of top coat on the rear and all with a single layer on the fronts (as per photo above) - I'm going to sand them with wet 1200 between each top coat, then again before the laquer, after probably 3 coats.

Obey_R

Just had some more of the bodywork done by James - all done now apart from a final sand of the rear quarter and an 'end cap' to be riveted to the front of the sill. Unfortunately the father of the bloke who was doing the respray died a few days ago so that might hold things up a bit.

Picking a new beam and some other goodies up tomorrow from Anthony, so I can start on getting all the brakes together and bled, new calipers and bearings etc. I took my carpet to a handcar wash and he did a superjob for what only cost me a pack of festoon bulbs from the shop - bargin!

Work until 0530 this morning so the plan is to get home, work all through the morning getting the old beam off and load them into the car ready to exchange for the new one tomorrow. So by the time I've done that, fitted the new disks, pads and calipers it should be about time to have breakfast and leave for Baz's!

rallyjonesy205

This is looking like it's going to be a nice car. You going to bring it to marham track day in April for a blast. I should hopefully be there with mine.

Obey_R

I might well do - depends how I get on with finishing it but I'm hoping for mid Feb MOT still .... somehow!

Where abouts in Lynn are you?

Collected my new beam from Anthony today - thanks. Got the rest of the copper lines sorted for the rear and the flexis attached, bolted the beam into place and then reaslised I couldn't move the car back into the workshop because I had no wheel bearings .... bollocks!

So new wheel bearings and possibly drums here for Tuesday!

Got the new disks, thermostat, rad. cap and brake reservoir fitted. Need to flush the rad with clean water, attach the new metal pipe then fill with coolant.

Edited by Obey_R

Obey_R

All bodywork is now done - ready for paint. Feul tank is fitted, all the copper brake lines are done. New rear wheel bearings fitted, wheel cylinders, etc Big list of things to get it ready for the MOT but they're all little 'peicing together' type jobs - should fly by once the respray is done, which should be in a few days time.

Edited by Obey_R

wracing

A few pictures of the progress. Just a little better than before :(

168775_10150090020376839_700946838_5880523_4020361_n.jpg

167883_10150090020926839_700946838_5880532_5742914_n.jpg

Obey_R

Handbrake now fully functional and she drives, so that's great B) Just got to fit a new plastic pipe that goes from the thermostat to rad. top hose and then she's ready for the respray!

Whilst it's away the plan is to get the wheels painted and tyres on, so when I get it back I can fit the 1.9 calipers and bleed the whole system. Then as long as I get a seat and seatbelt bolted in she's ready for the MOT!

Obey_R

Off for a respray today - should have it back in about a week.

imag0023g.jpg

imag0028vp.jpg

wracing

Have you put more primer and high build on the quarter. good luck for the 14th :lol:

James

Obey_R

Didn't get around to it mate, the painter is going to take care of it - I've booked another MOT for the thursdays so I've got all bases covered, here's hoping!

Obey_R

Progress with the paint is coming on nicely...

IMAG0038.jpg

IMAG0037.jpg

Wheels are coming on well, too. Tyres are getting fitted Monday...

IMAG0049.jpg

IMAG0056.jpg

Edited by Obey_R