• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Obey_R

[car_overhaul] 1992 1.6 - Small Restore And Getting Road Worthy!

Mr_E

All the bumper mounting bits are still available from Pug, you dont have to buy a kit. You can just buy the rubber nut thingy separately. Pop to Pug and they should be able to show you on the computer which bits are missing and what you would need.

Obey_R

I'll need the whole kit for both sides though, that's the problem. Guess I'll just have to suck up and buy it! :P

zebedy101

Is there any updates on this Ross? Have you got that rust done yet?

Obey_R

Loads of small updates I just haven't had the time to do anything!

James who was meant to be doing the welding crashed his car a few weeks ago so it all had to be delayed. He's meant to be calling me today to sort out getting it started, hopefully next week!

I've taken the rear beam and tank off in preparation so when the welding's done I'm going to grind all the surface rust on the underside down and put some underseal on it, redo the copper pipes etc - I figured it's not going to be very often I can get to the bottom of the car like that.

I've sourced the two leaks into the cabin - one of them is a leaky door seal on the o/s so I've got two matching (non leaky) seals in the barn I'm going to put in. The other leak is the n/s 1/4 window, leaking between the car and the seal rather than the glass and the seal. Plan is to whip it out and just slap some silicone on the inside of the seal when I put it back. Only problem with that is the window frame has rusted slightly where the waters been sitting so I need to tackle that, too. Will probably end up grinding that back, primer then a top coat of some grey just to make it water-tight before the respray.

The 1.6 wheels are almost ready for paint - got them all sanded down with 80gt and should have them smoothed over with 240 ready to take the primer next month.

Not sure on colours yet: Either keep it safe and do them normal silver but I really like the idea of doing them white.

zebedy101

White does look dam good on a red car but I think I prefer standard silver on pepperpots.

Sounds like it's coming along nicely, can't wait too see it finished. unfortunatly I have'nt been able to get my momentum going again with the 205 so it's definatly going now. :lol:

In a way I'm happy but then at the same time pretty sad.

Obey_R

Make up your bloody mind!

Will be a shame for it to go, did the last sale fall through or just never progress?

zebedy101

No, I couldn't bring myself to do it last time. This time it's for sure though, there's someone coming over shortly to view it and possibly buy.

I will have another track one though when I can afford it.

Is yours going to be getting resprayed or are you still um decided paint wise?

Obey_R

Nope it going to get a full respray as soon as I can afford it, well after all the rest of the work is done. Will be the last thing I get done though, plan is to get the rust done over the next week or so, then I need to get a good beam made up from the 2 I have. Hopefully I the trailing shafts from the base model are good enough to put into the GTI beam. By that time the wheels will be painted. New shocks, springs and mounts when the beam goes on, fuel tank back on after the underseal. Interior back together with hopefully new bespoke seat covers on. Engine tinkered with and afm, sad etc cleaned and providing it all runs well, I'll get the spray then. Hopefully not long after xmas.

lukesaddy

looks quite tidy from the offset mate, shame about the rot though, looks like it needs plenty of patching.

get it stripped and get all the rot on it repaired and seam welded :rolleyes:

wracing

A small post on behalf of ross, I have been welding for him. It have taken ages to get on with the work due to all sorts of delays but now started, it shouldnt take long!

149672_454558051838_700946838_5176195_1792362_n.jpg

75032_454558141838_700946838_5176200_3852533_n.jpg

the rear quarter and sill rot

40150_454558236838_700946838_5176203_3182331_n.jpg

the b pillar and separated so this was measured and braced.

76227_454558446838_700946838_5176212_6598150_n.jpg

starting the chop.

76539_454558501838_700946838_5176215_7174102_n.jpg

76881_454558646838_700946838_5176221_3267408_n.jpg

new section in

149131_454558806838_700946838_5176227_6328963_n.jpg

b pillar welded

74504_454559016838_700946838_5176237_1035693_n.jpg

Painted ready for more work next weekend.

Ross I have some brake discs if you want them.

Thanks

James

Edited by wracing

allye

Wow! Thats fiarly commited. I was bummed when i found a hole the size of a 10p around one of the brake line bracket holes in the floor! Now I count myself lucky! Looks like a good job though and I'm glad all those horrendous chavy parts have come off.....just the wheels to go now :)

Obey_R

Thanks for that James, I'm very happy with it so far!

The wheels are prepped ready for paint, need to get a new beam and brakes then its pretty much ready for the mot!

I'll give you a call about the disks later James, I've still got those rearlights if you still want them.

wracing

Hey sorry I missed your call kinda work is very hectic as always. I'm glad your happy, still lots for work to do but its a good start and the car is so much stronger. I've been thinking about the B pillar on the passenger side that may need a closer look but I will have a chat with you over the weekend.

As long as all goes to plan you will never know its been repaired ;)

James

Obey_R

Hmm, didn't think the B pillar on the n/s was bad? We'll have a chat about that some other time anyway. The sill should be arriving tomorrow so I'll let you know when it does.

wracing

Very quick update some progress today. far to cold to be outside though :lol:

76070_460363696838_700946838_5253172_5735464_n.jpg

39568_460359806838_700946838_5253064_1277918_n.jpg

40148_460357106838_700946838_5253016_3278540_n.jpg

149767_460354221838_700946838_5252989_1598972_n.jpg

The back doesn't look right from this angle as it need trimming due to the fact the donor was a base model.

One side almost done!! :)

James

Obey_R

Looks good, I havn't seen it in the flesh yet because I'm too lazy to go outside! I'll have a look in a bit.

As for brakes, I'll have the 1.9 calipers as long as the nipples are free etc and the pads but I'll need to put some new 1.6 disks on it unless I change the hubs due to the ofsets etc. So dig them out next time you're at work if you can and I'll have a look. Did you take those rear lights?

Oh, I also got a quote today for the respray. Full outside and door/boot shuts for 500-600£. Hopefully will work out well as he is only 2 miles down the road!

Edited by Obey_R

Obey_R

Amongst getting the welding done, I've also put the back bumper back on, fitted the reverse and fog lights and got them working again! The new clocks are in and fully functional (as far as I can tell without the engine running) so we're getting there.

The only bits that need doing now are a new beam, full respray, new brakes up front and then just putting it back together really!

wracing

Sounds good, make sure you see some of his previous work first B) Nope I didn't take those lights, I'm going to give you a call in the morning about tomorrow not sure whats going on.

James

Obey_R

Ok, well I don't mind if you're going to do next Saturday instead as I know how much grief the other half can deliver, mine included.

Obey_R

Well the welding hasn't come on any further since the photos, but I've got a beam being made up by Anthony so that will be fitted early new year. I've also picked up some 1.9 Girling calipers from James (thanks!), stripped them down and found two of the slider gaitors were split so have decided to rebuild them, probably with a BiggRed kit. So popped the pistons out, out with the seals and had them shot blasted - this is the result:

5283854804_8bb6f957b3.jpg

Am going to give them a lick of Hammerite, just black nothing fancy then pop the new seals in.

Obey_R

Calipers are well on their way to being finished, I've ordered a seal kit to rebuild them once the paint is finished - I'll post photos soon. Got the new bolts from Pug to get them fitted.

Just put a few layers of primer on the wheels which I sanded down months ago! Hope to have them in colour and possibly laquered by the end of the week...

The deadline is Feb 10th to get it in for the MOT so everything has to come together pretty soon. I've still got to get the welding finished (should be this weekend), booked in and resprayed Cherry Red and windscreen refitted, fit the new beam from Anthony, plasticare all the trim and fathom a way of fitting it back on. Have the seats put back together after a bolster repair, put all the interior back in after cleaning the carpet, refurb the rear drums, fit the new calipers, new disks, fit the new driving lamps and finally give the engine a full service!

Obey_R

imag0003s.jpg

imag0005j.jpg

Just got to give them a final rub down with wet 800 and then time for the top coat... white or silver?

Edited by Obey_R

DaveW

At last :) good to see it comming together hope to see it on the road soon, man that time has flown by when you said you're going to wait till Feb it just seemed ages away!

Obey_R

Tell me about it, now I'm hoping to book the mot in less than a month and its still a sell with nothing in!

Obey_R

Calipers painted and rebuilt using a Big Redd kit, didn't seem to bad of quaility putting them together but I'll see how they hold up. They look very orange in the photos but are a nice glossy red up close.

Also spent all yesterday evening putting the new copper lines on the underside and new flexis, just got to finish off when the new beam arrives!

post-15908-1295048103_thumb.jpg