• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Obey_R

[car_overhaul] 1992 1.6 - Small Restore And Getting Road Worthy!

Obey_R

Purchased for £385 April '10.

I can't really justify insuring it until Feb '11 when I'll get another years no claims so it was meant to be a long term project just doing bits here and there.

Failed an MOT straight away on 14 points, nothing serious apart from needing new rear beam and 2 points of structual rust welded but it had been sitting for a year or so, so plenty of little bits to sort out!

I'm hopefully going to update as I go along with rough prices of things to help me keep track but also show everyone how much it will cost to get bits done!

Here's a few pictures of the day I got it home.

Aftermarket grille..

4531805976_952386852f.jpg

Lovely rear lights...

4531173161_291a8286a8.jpg

Very tasteful bright blue interior!

4531176459_8992e4dc03.jpg

Obey_R

Some pictures of the rust and what needs welding.

Front n/s sill needs patching and wing needs replacing. Got a used OE wing in graphite grey for £10.

4587239516_a5ef9c7287.jpg

Drivers side B piller needs sorting as does the bottom of the quater panel.

4587236984_585be3fc4b.jpg

4531807348_043cd3ca08.jpg

Obey_R

I have had quotes of the rust to be sorted for £200, but will then need to think about the cost of getting it sprayed.

The lacquer is peeling on the roof and is quite orange in places so I will consider a full respray, but I will need to get at least 3 panels done after the welding anyway...

THe price will probably go up a little for the welding, as I'm planning on stripping the carpet soon to replace the underlay and see what condition the floor is in. Chances are there's going to be a few spots that need doing, too. There is already another small spot just above the tank.

scotty

Looks like a good base to start your project from and i will watch for your updates ;)

Obey_R

Have done a fair bit since, just wanting to break it all up.

Anyway, the engine runs very well. No oil pressure but have grounded the gauge and it proves that guage is a dud so new set of clocks for £15 and they'll be fitted when I strip the carpet etc out. This will also cure my broken odometer stuck on 99,999.

The first things I wanted to do was get rid of that awful blue interior peices so I went off to visit MrG and picked up some bits and bobs.

I got replacment dash sections in black, sidelight connector, handbrake surround, washer bottle and probably some other bits but I've forgotten, for £40.

Got the dash bit's fitted along with a new gearknob from Zebedy101 for £5 and the dash now looks a lot better.

4730124362_5f94e561df.jpg

Edited by Obey_R

Obey_R

So my next job was sorting something out with the interior light cluster as it didn't work.

Popped off the cover and immdietely it started smoking! Under further investigation the original central locking sensor had shorted to the roof and completely burnt itself up so removed that. Which then left me with a small hole in the cluster.... I needed to fix the not very reliable rocker light so hey-presto, a small switch wired into the 12v live and I have a fully functioning light (albeit not working with the doors) and no unsightly hole!

4729478453_d3ed6d084d.jpg

Edited by Obey_R

Obey_R

Just had wracing (James) round to take a look at the rust and think the main sill rust is down to a poorly fitted pattern wing.

Got to take the wing off to inspect the inners and find out how bad it is and if it's worth repairing!

wracing

Sorry to be the bringer of possible bad news! Hopefully when you take the wing off it will be nice and clean :)

The way that has rusted I have a distinct feeling that it may be beyond economical repair, hopefully not though.

On the drivers side I think it may be worth removing the lower section of the rear quarter, welding a brace in position just to be sure. cutting the bottom of the B pillar removing the top of the sill and replacing (hopefully we wont find anymore rust :angry: ) then getting a B pillar section off a scrap car. I'm just unhappy about placing patches over the top as it needs to be structurally sound!

Do you know anyone with a car trailer??

James

Obey_R

No I don't, that was the problem with getting this one here! Cost me £75 in the end from Cromer.

I could get it done, but just not cheap.

wracing

I'll have to dig my single phase welder out. let me find some prices on replacement panels :P

James

Obey_R

No problem, I'll get onto the lad with the 1.1 junior and see if I can still have it for £100 then think about getting it back here if the shell is okay. That would sort out all of the panel problems wouldn't it?

CallumCurwood
No problem, I'll get onto the lad with the 1.1 junior and see if I can still have it for £100 then think about getting it back here if the shell is okay. That would sort out all of the panel problems wouldn't it?

Re shell that bad boy and get it Mot'd, would look lovely :D

Obey_R

No, I would just cut the 1.1 to bits to use as I please :D

Obey_R

Got the front n/s wing off today so we could assess where the rust is coming from, but also how bad it is inside!

I think, it's good news, but I'll wait for James to confirm.

Taking the wing off is a bloody PITA, I tried to take the bumper off, but the bolt was too long for me to get my 13mm socket onto the end so I though as I'm not wanting to keep the wing I'll see how it goes with the bumper still on.

So off with the 10mm nuts holding the wing on and it pulled straight off apart from where it's attached to the bumper. So with a bit of jickery and pockery one half of the bumper was loose enough to get the rest of the wing off. However I did manage to shear the bolt which holds the support girder to the inner arch - so that will have to be re-drilled and bolted back on.

Pictures of the wing off and the only rust is on the bottom of the sill NOT on the main structural columns, so hopefully it's still do'able.

4738354172_bd0010f420.jpg

4738354598_e1b0868232.jpg

Then another small bit of good news, an up the skirt shot of my rusted sill shows that it is just the outer skin that's rusted, and the main sill is still looking very presentable!

4738356198_278c4fc1cc.jpg

Edited by Obey_R

rallyman205

hi i am about to cut apart a good shell for panels in the next couple of days if you need the a panel or section of it let me know and if its good i will cut it off for you

zebedy101

Are you going too use genuine parts mate? I would recommend using a genuine n/s/f wing as they will fit better and last a lot longer and are galvanised.

Obey_R

I already have a wing here. I'm 99% sure it's genuine but don't know how to tell.

Only problem is it's in graphite grey so am going to need a respray!

Obey_R

Next few jobs were wiring in a new horn due to it not having one! Carpeted the boot with some black felt, makes it look much nicer, and changed the lexus lights back to standard phase 2, also got the number plate and fog lights working, too!

4604091626_a77511242b.jpg

4729474487_0f04d7fcaa.jpg

Obey_R

Oh, the brown multiplug was also tackled around that time. I had hoped to cure the oil pressure guage as it didn't give a reading, however it did nothing.

I did feel it was a good chance to learn about everything under the bonnet and eliminate it as a cause for any more problems!

4730120952_1569b7799b.jpg

Obey_R

Quote of £400 all in for getting the welding sorted which will include 2 x new sills supplied and replaced, donor B pillar and rear quarter welded in, front n/s wing fitted and sealed and all filled/primered ready for spraying.

I know I could probably reshell for the same kind of money, maybe a bit cheaper but I like the idea of this is my 205, and I want to keep it on the road!

GLPoomobile

I'm no expert but that sounds pretyy reasonable for the amount of work. Does depend on quality though. Have you seen any of their previous work?

Yeah you could possibly re-shell, but it's going to be a s*it load more work for you, and most 205's you buy at that sort of price are likely to have rust. Plus it's a bonus to keep a 205 GTI on the road :)

Obey_R

Yeah exactly, another on the road is always a good thing.

The person doing the work is wracing from here, so hopefully he'll be doing a good job! :)

Just taken the bumper off after half removing it for getting at the wing and what a pain!

When I took the n/s bolts out, the 'girder' type bracket holding the bumper on was bolted straight to the bumper, one 13mm nut and it's off whereas on the o/s, there was a weird looking lump, which I'm sure was meant to be the otherside, but wasn't.

4758586888_f354f3767d_b.jpg

How easy are these to get hold of? (Not looked on SB yet). Are they essensial, obviously the otherside was bodged, but how bad can it be?

jimistdt

They do a bumper fixing kit Part No 6994.53 for £25.45. I'm struggling to remember if the girders and donuts where all included in the kit, I seem to think they were, I don't think I ordered anything seperate when I did mine, I'm 85% sure it's all in there. Someone will confirm though.

Obey_R

I dont think I explained myself very well, on one side there was no girder and donut, whereas on the driver side there was.

I'm thinking, is it worth spending £60 on a new set for each side if the person before me managed to get the bumper attached without the girder/buffer? I know it's not ideal, but nor is spending £60 lol