• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Obey_R

[car_overhaul] 1992 1.6 - Small Restore And Getting Road Worthy!

Obey_R

Yeah got the front calipers fitted and the whole system bled - then test fitted the 14" Speedlines with new Falkens fitted, luckily they went straight on and no rubbing at all :)

I've got the sealbelts in, centre consol and a few other bits of interior.

The bonnet is all painted up now with the valance and grill, tomorrow he is going to finish off the door shuts then all the paint is finished.

Also fixed up a join from the manifold to centre box where it was blowing out - repair paste and some exhaust tape sorted that.

So for tomorrow I've got Silvershield windscreens coming out to fit a new tinted screen, I'm going to mount the front bumper and valance, grill and headlights ready for the MOT. Bonnet will have been polished up and put back on, door shuts will have been sprayed. Then it's just a case of fitting the quarter seals and windows, door seals, wing mirrors, hopefully get the passenger seat fitted but that's not top of the list at the mo. Oh and pop all of the trim back on, arches, doors etc.

I think everything is on target for the MOT - although it might take an all-nighter tomorrow to make sure it's ready.

I'll take the digital camera tomorrow and get some up-to-date photos.

Obey_R

Right.... MOT is about 14 hours away and she's pretty much done!

Today the new tinted windscreen went in, whole front end back together and electricals checked and working.

almostfinished.jpg

So I'm going to have to work through the night to get it ready for the MOT but it's only a small list of things that NEED doing, there's a few bits I want to do but don't need to be done for the MOT, like passenger seat, radio etc.

So essentials are...

- Change centre exhaust bracket

- Fit quarter seals and windows

- Fill up with screenwash

- Fit rear seats

- Fit wiper arms back on

- Trim, arches, door trim etc..

Almost there! :)

zebedy101

It's looking great mate!! You've put some serious dedication into this project and its really paying off. Looking forward to seeing the car in the flesh in the next few days!!

Obey_R

Well I'm now finished for the night, all that's left to do in the morning is give it a quick hoover, fit the door strips, fill up with petrol and antifreeze and she should be ready for the MOT!

Obey_R

It passed!!! :):D :D

Only 3 advisories, coolant leak, front wheel bearing on its way and front suspention bush. Words cannot describe how happy I am!

Anthony

Well done - good result for all the hard work you've put in :D

Now, sort out the advisories that need doing, and get out there and enjoy the fruits of your labour :)

Daviewonder
Well done - good result for all the hard work you've put in :D

Now, sort out the advisories that need doing, and get out there and enjoy the fruits of your labour :)

And show us some pictures!!!!

Obey_R

I'll get some photos tomorrow after a good clean and polish! Very happy with it so far - had a bit of a scare when the expansion overflow pipe dribbled a bit and expelled some steam from under the bonnet!

So far it feels very planted in the corners and certainly a lot better than my previous Hyundia Amica :)

Obey_R

This is the only photo to far - I've since Plasticared the rear bumper and door handles, still got to do the sunroof trim. Also need to get the red trim in the doors etc.

I like how the wheels are a little darker than standard...

IMAG0073.jpg

Also need to change the heater matrix before I can fit a stero, not too much of a problem as its only £20.10 inc VAT from ECP.

I'm doing my first major drive tomorrow morning, only about 50 miles each way but probably end up sitting in traffic for the most of it...

Edited by Obey_R

qwerty

Thats looking awesome, can't beat the red ones :angry: sits really nice, it'l look great with thered trim in

top job :D

Edited by qwerty

Daviewonder

Any photos of the finished article?

Obey_R

Well had the wheel bearing done today, but by the time I get home from work it's still dark! I've got a couple of photos without it's red trim still, but I'll get those up soon.

Obey_R

So after passing the MOT I've had to change the alternator as it got to the point where the battery wasn't able to turn it over. The alternator was still pumping out 12.3v, but it wasn't enough to keep everything running properly.

So whilst changing the alternator over, the bolt holding the tensioner/adjustor to the block snapped, bollocks! Had to remove the rad. to get to the sheared bolt and drill it out, then retap the hole to accept a new bolt. That's all done now and charging well.

Whilst I had the radiator off I thought to change the leaky heater matrix, again, not without problems! The new unit didn't fit well enough into the hole so it wouldn't sit right 'home', so in the end I put the old unit back in with the new pipes and seals (as it was the pipes that were leaking).

So with the alternator and heater matrix done, the only bits left to do were front wheel bearing and suspension arm bushes. Got the bearing done today for £25, so can't really argue!

Still need to get the red trim fitted but I need a clear, warm(ish) evening and enough time for the tigerseal to set before I have to go anywhere!

IMAG0111-2.jpg

Obey_R

Before:

4531173161_291a8286a8.jpg

After:

IMAG0073-1-1-1-1.jpg

Before:

4531805976_952386852f.jpg

After:

IMAG0077.jpg

Edited by Obey_R

Daviewonder

Looks so much better now. Is Plasticare going to be used before you refit the red trim?

Obey_R

It's all been plasticared. The only bit that hasn't in those photos is the rear bumper, but that's since been done! I've still got to plasticare the sunroof trim and spoiler, but all the arches etc are done now :)

wracing

whan are you coming over mate?? was at work till 9 wednesday but i didnt see you?

allye
:o What a great turn around, really amazing job there, you've saved another GTI from the chav tastic bits and pieces then more than likely scrapper!

GLPoomobile

Still need to get the red trim fitted but I need a clear, warm(ish) evening and enough time for the tigerseal to set before I have to go anywhere!

You're not planning on Tigersealing the trim on, are you? :o

Obey_R

James: I didn't realise you wanted me to come to your work? I did drop you a text but didn't hear anything back - not to worry I'll call you tomorrow sometime.

And as for the tigerseal I can' think of a better way? The clips are missing and most of the rivets are no longer there, I've tried trim tape but it doesn't work on the longer bits, only the small bits on the front arches.

Any suggestions?

Daviewonder

You can buy the rivets for about 50p each from vauxhall dealers as they're the same a Calibra rivets. I'll try and find the part number for you.

Daviewonder

You can buy the rivets for about 50p each from vauxhall dealers as they're the same a Calibra rivets. I'll try and find the part number for you.

Vauxhall Part no is 90033713

Obey_R

Update time!

Had the exhaust welded up so the leak is now no more! During the recent heat wave here I found out my fans didn't kick in! Only 6v at the fan and a dodgey thermoswitch, part no. XEFS210. Switched that over and now have a fully working fan! Also swapped the ECU temp sensor in the hope of making her a bit better with fuel.

Some bad bits, the breather from the oil tower to the TB snapped off, so I'm awating a new oil tower. Also the plastic outlet to the SAD had snapped so it's currently running with no SAD, not fun in the mornings!

I've changed the dizzy cap, rotor arm and HT leads. Just done an oil change + filter, also fitted a new engine mount and 2 new buffers to try and stop the violent kangerooing.

I think that's about it for now. So as soon as my breathers and SAD are connected back up I'm going to be setting it up as per the Haynes, to try and get the idling perfect!

Will Eastman

Looks nice alot better than before!!

Was wondering why you changed the side the exhaust came out at the back but then realised you had flipped the picture haha