• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hothatch

[engine_work] 1989 (restoration) Project Black And Yellow Fast Road

SurGie

Push type and you can use the old 1.9 gti alternator bracket tensioner thing, thats what i'll be doing and iv got the push mi16 fast road clutch from Helix for my VTS box. But all this will only work when you use the 1.9 gearbox selector and clutch arms in what ever box you use ok.

Edited by SurGie

hothatch
Push type and you can use the old 1.9 gti alternator bracket tensioner thing, thats what i'll be doing and iv got the push mi16 fast road clutch from Helix for my VTS box. But all this will only work when you use the 1.9 gearbox selector and clutch arms in what ever box you use ok.

right thanks for the info.

when you say selector what selector do you mean ? how can you fit the normal clutch arms onto a box with pull type? aint the pivot ball in a different place?

Nickmatthewsrallying

Nice little project you have got on the go.

Have you got any plans for a cage, or any suspension changes?

hothatch
Nice little project you have got on the go.

Have you got any plans for a cage, or any suspension changes?

thanks, im trying to make it as clean as possible spending the least of time (eager to get it done) though it wont be rushed. not going to be show car standards but respectible if you know what i mean.

yeah ive just bought some new springs (nothing special apex 30mm) bbm group n strut top mounts and fork bush. think im just going to go for uprated bilsteins as its only for the road and they do a decent job. also powerflexed anti-roll bar and bottom arms and uprated mounts all round.

after the front end is finished and i get a new rear axle on i will be looking for an omp 10 point as i haved on my old car, i loved it. its just the price of them :) so will be after its all up and running.

Nickmatthewsrallying

cool should be good when its finished. is it just going to be a fast road daily driver then? or are you planning on taking it out for a few track days as well?

Edited by Nickmatthewsrallying

hothatch
cool should be good when its finished. is it just going to be a fast road daily driver then? or are you planning on taking it out for a few track days as well?

yeah hopfully, thank.

well its just going to be a hibernating road car which comes out on dry weekends. i might be tempted to have a go at a track day but im a complete virgin !!! would love to give it a go so maybve one day.

i just enjoy driving the b roads on a sunday evening, ive been suffering for two years though as i havnt had a toy to take ! so you can imagine how keen i am to get this done !!! :)

Daviewonder

Hooray some new pics at last :)

Love the yellow and black engine, should look really good when its fitted. Looking forward to seeing this one finished!

Nice one B)

hothatch
Hooray some new pics at last :D

Love the yellow and black engine, should look really good when its fitted. Looking forward to seeing this one finished!

Nice one :P

haha :) i know !! its the f**k*ng mother in law on facebook ! i dont get a ba**ard look in :) she does pay the bill though haha.

yeah thanks davie, if i carry on at the rate im going it could be done in a couple of months. you can expect most uploads on a sunday and monday so keep your eys pealed lol B)

anyway thanks for the comments guys

hothatch

Update-

i managed to order a timing belt kit , water pump (gates timing kit) and a saches mi 1.9 16v clutch.

got them for £215! bargain!

fit these on the weekend.

hothatch

got my timing belt kit and water pump. going to fit these now soon, and also my stat housing and gasket. pics later.

hothatch

went out and fitted my gates power grip belt, tensioner and roller. also a water pump last night. so much easier out of the car!!! i think will take the engine out if i have to ever do one again !! less stressful !!! :)

post-15742-1273400562_thumb.jpg

post-15742-1273400588_thumb.jpg

hothatch

also put the timing covers back on :)

post-15742-1273400737_thumb.jpg

SurGie

Where that pulley is at the bottom, you can get an alloy light one from 306gti6 forum to help give less engine drag.

hothatch
Where that pulley is at the bottom, you can get an alloy light one from 306gti6 forum to help give less engine drag.

i might do just that, thanks mate.

but ive threadlocked the bottom pulley bolt in now ! :D DOH !!!

CosKev

Looking good :ph34r:

Cam cover gaskets arrived today,

Where did you get these from?????? :D

As I've been told you cannot get them,if you go to Pug you have to buy complete cam covers,no seals listed :D

hothatch
Looking good :o

Where did you get these from?????? :)

As I've been told you cannot get them,if you go to Pug you have to buy complete cam covers,no seals listed :)

thanks mate!!

you know what , i told two guys on here the other day that you can get them seperate from peugoet after failing to get the correct onesfrom my local motor factors,they were on order when i told the guys and when they came they were totally wrong !!! i felt like a right tit !! :) so i think im going to go for some gasket sealer as the surfaces are smooth if you pull off the seals and it should make a seal? anyone done somthing simalar ?

hothatch

the ones i said arrived today were from my local motor factors and were totally different.

NeilGTi85

I have recently had problems using RTV to seal the cam cover.

I brought a new cam cover powder coated and it came without the original seal.

I am still to get it to seal propperly, most people say theve's done it with RTV.

My next option is to buy a sheet of FDM and cut my own out, If I have to go that route I will try and make a batch up (depending on cost's etc) as my brother works in a laser cutting place I could get lots cut quickly :)

My thread about it - http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...p;#entry1076364

Neil

Edited by NeilGTi85

hothatch
I have recently had problems using RTV to seal the cam cover.

I brought a new cam cover powder coated and it came without the original seal.

I am still to get it to seal properly, most people say theve's done it with RTV.

My next option is to buy a sheet of FDM and cut my own out, If I have to go that route I will try and make a batch up (depending on cost's etc) as my brother works in a laser cutting place I could get lots cut quickly :)

My thread about it - http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?s...p;#entry1076364

Neil

Quick update

havnt done a lot due to the beautiful weather we have had and also the girlfriends nan has been in critical care unit and its also the mrs s birthday so I've been trying to make life a bit more pleasant for her at the minute.

I have however got the inner wing repaired and I'm now waiting for a few people to get back to me on my paint options for the car, I'm having the outside and the bay freshly painted.

There's not many parts left I need now. Will be purchasing a 16v hose kit and stat adapter from BBM. I also need to acquire a gearbox soon.

Neil I did post on the thread about the cam cover gaskets as I do really need a pair of these. How did you get on with temperature rating on them?

This would be very much appreciated. Thanks

ben

NeilGTi85

I'm still waiting for price's for the gasket's, but have been told they have some "special" material which will meet our need's :)

As soon as I get some price's I will get back to everyone :)

I managed to seal mine using the old seal, I carefuly scrapped the old one off without breaking it and re-applied with some RTV and all is fine :(

hothatch
I'm still waiting for price's for the gasket's, but have been told they have some "special" material which will meet our need's :P

As soon as I get some price's I will get back to everyone :)

I managed to seal mine using the old seal, I carefuly scrapped the old one off without breaking it and re-applied with some RTV and all is fine :)

ah that's great mate ! A speail material ! Ha elephant sp**k I expect lol ! :D

The trouble with mine and rtv sealant is that mine has a split in each one so there's going to be a slight gap in them. So I'm not really sure, I might just wait until you get some prices but I doubt you will be needing them now ? ! Lol

Cheers

NeilGTi85

Depending on price's and what people want to pay, I will still go ahead with it :P

flipperthebushkangaroo

Have you still got the old 1.6 engine looms? If so would you sell them and if you would how much would you want for them posted?

Regards

Roddie

hothatch
Have you still got the old 1.6 engine looms? If so would you sell them and if you would how much would you want for them posted?

Regards

Roddie

Ah mate problem :/ I chopped all the wires just befor the ecu plug, I also chopped the injector plugs off because a rat chewd through my boss's 850i beemers injector plugs, they happend to be bosch :/.

hothatch

I have some updates ! Will post pictures in the next few days.

I got the car down to the garage last week, she is now up on axle stands and the work has commenced !!! I remove all the suspension and subframe to renew, clean and paint components and the bay. I have some bits I'm posting in the for sale section now if anyones inrested, whole 1600 hub and strut assemblies with g-max lowering springs.

I'm goin to get the subframe up to work in the week to use the steamer to remove all the grease and oil. Removed the old MC and now the next step is removing the servo and pedal box. Pics will be up one day soon.

Ben