• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hothatch

[engine_work] 1989 (restoration) Project Black And Yellow Fast Road

SurGie

The reason i said that was people that could help are less likely to read your project thread compared to reading a topic thread about the problem you may have. If you still dont get any answers, try the 306gti6 forum for answers.

hothatch

Cam cover gaskets arrived today, need to order stat housing gasket , inlet manifold gasket and exhaust manifold gasket.

anyone have partnumbers for these please ? thanks in advance.

DrSarty
anyone have partnumbers for these please ? thanks in advance.

Just give them the reg of the donor vehicle (call Ash), or join ServiceBox (it's free) and look them up.

Alternatively buy them from eGay.

In fact I'd only use an inlet gasket, if any gasket at all, as these days I much prefer products from Loctite such as (inlet) 5926 or 5699 and (exhaust) 5920.

Edited by DrSarty

hothatch
The reason i said that was people that could help are less likely to read your project thread compared to reading a topic thread about the problem you may have. If you still dont get any answers, try the 306gti6 forum for answers.

Ok cheers

hothatch
Just give them the reg of the donor vehicle (call Ash), or join ServiceBox (it's free) and look them up.

Alternatively buy them from eGay.

In fact I'd only use an inlet gasket, if any gasket at all, as these days I much prefer products from Loctite such as (inlet) 5926 or 5699 and (exhaust) 5920.

Yeh will do thanks.

Did you get I pm? I will pay for that relay tomorrow if that's ok ?

hothatch

took a step back today and rubbed back my inlet manifold and cam covers ! dimwit as what i am lol i used normal primer on ally ! :D so acid etch primer and fresh paint tomorrow ! took ages rubbing all my paint off lol !! :)

live and learn B)

Daviewonder

Need more pictures :)

hothatch
Need more pictures :)

i know tell me about it, in fairness i hardly ever get a chance , im not connected up my house anymore and only get to upload down my gfs house so apoligies for the lack of pictures people. bare with me i will try my best. i usually upload what i can on a sunday night after a session in the garage. will upload a lot more for you all this weekend. ok?

DrSarty

Your relay should be with you by tomorrow. :lol:

hothatch
Your relay should be with you by tomorrow. :lol:

brilliant ! thanks sarty much appreicated ! suppose i could get a pic of that up lol :P

not many parts left to accumalate now. will defo get a lot more pics up soon.

hothatch

update .

right i managed to clean the engine right up this weekend took a while ! :) power steering fluid was everywhere !!

give a lick of paint aswell :)

post-15742-1272905231_thumb.jpg

hothatch

more pics

post-15742-1272905330_thumb.jpg

hothatch

i also removed the old timing kit, water pump roller and tensioner etc.. also the clutch.

im going to pick up my new timing belt kit this week along with a water pump. i was also going to pick up an mi 1900 16v clutch but im unsure what box i am yet going to use, rubyna lives near me and sais he going to take me for a spin in his 205 16v which has just had a xsara vts box fitted to help make up my mind, what clutch system will i use if i choose this box though? pull type? some one fill me in on this please? thanks.

post-15742-1272905718_thumb.jpg

hothatch

i also stripped back all the paint off my cam covers and inlet mainifold in order to use the correct primer (etch). i have now repainted them, the finish is pretty good but its still awfull soft and i think it will come off really easily so im going to make them the last things fitted when the engine goes in and try my BESTEST :) not to scratch them lmao ! see how it gets on with heat, if it starts flaking or reacting i will strip it back down and let my mate paint them simply because thats his job, PAINTING!!! :)

post-15742-1272906014_thumb.jpg

rubyna

Mi16 clutch mate..

hothatch

when i went out this morning to see my inlet and cam covers dry i wondered WTF i was doing going for yellow and really regretted it ! lmao :) but when i put them on the engine just to see how it looked, it looked just how i imagined !! awsome i think, others may not like it, what you think? :)

post-15742-1272906236_thumb.jpg

hothatch

more pics

post-15742-1272906379_thumb.jpg

hothatch

one more

post-15742-1272906489_thumb.jpg

hothatch

also had a quick ganders at how im going to tension the alternator which to be honest i have no idea yet haha! might jus make some kind of bracket with a thread and a long bolt which will push the alternator away from the engine mounting when tightend. what belts have you guys used ??

anyway so far so good!

post-15742-1272906842_thumb.jpg

Henry Yorke

I like the yellow. Why not get some wet and dry on a sanding block and pick out the 16v on the rocker cover so it is shiny? Just a thought :)

hothatch

so heres whats next,

-get my timing kit and water pump

-what clutch to use ? can i use a push type on all boxs ?? fit these then next weekend.

-ive got to get my arse into gear and get that tiny hole behind the headlight welded, will do this next weekend and trailer the car down to the garage. its at my yard in work atm.

-take off subframe and replace all suspension parts and give a nice lick of paint. ive got slight play in a inner steering joint on the rack so i will also get this sorted .

-remove my master cylinder and brake servo, new cylinder to be fitted and servo to be painted.

-paint engine bay while subframe and servo are out.

-refit new mc and servo at adjusted angle, i might do the washer trick (3 at the bottom 2 in the middle and 1 at the top) hopfully will be enough to clear cam cover.

-refit pre-built subframe with my new goodies.

-i can then start getting the engine into place with the exhaust manifold cut in order to bend and get the bulkhead clearance. then remove for reweld.

SOOOO plenty to get on with at the minute. any help and suggestions on the quistions i have asked is much appreicated guys, and thanks again.

:)

rubyna

Looks o.k. mate when its in the car it should compliment the black engine bay and the other bits youve done black, good idea

Henry has about the 16v part aswell..

Edited by rubyna

hothatch
I like the yellow. Why not get some wet and dry on a sanding block and pick out the 16v on the rocker cover so it is shiny? Just a thought :)

thanks i s**t myself this morning when i seen what i had done lol :) but it turns out quite nice.

i think that would make a nice touch! thanks. :D

hothatch
Looks o.k. mate when its in the car it should compliment the black engine bay and the other bits youve done black, good idea

Henry has about the 16v part aswell..

yeah thanks, thats the plan so fingers crossed. :)

Edited by hothatch

hothatch
Mi16 clutch mate..

the push or pull type lol? im confused, 1.9 mi16 uses normal push type, 2.0 mi16 uses pull type, your vts box is a pull type or can you convert it ?

lol am i missing somthing? :)