• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
hothatch

[engine_work] 1989 (restoration) Project Black And Yellow Fast Road

hothatch

Oh well I have accumalated enough parts to keep me busy for a month or so , its now time to start my thread!

I'm not going to tell you the time of this year I was hoping to get it finished as its a tad optimistic haha :)! But if I go past the time. I will tell you all lol.

Right I managed to get myself a 1989 black 1600 for 150 quid !!! Off a friend who lost all intrest in the car so I snapped it up! Can you fault me !?

I sourced myself a gti6 engine out of a v registration 306 courtesy of the dr s !

I am now looking foward to starting my project! Watch this space!

I'm in devon till tomorrow so will upload pics on the weekend, unless I can upload from my phone.

hothatch

I might as well explain what has been done so far.

Pulled the old 1600 engine out, had her running though ! Was quite funny watching her cough and splutter backfiring and blue smoking away lol, she had a hard old life and is now living in the grave yard in work along with an old jcb and landrover from 1970 lol.

I've takien the front slam panel off along with the rad which needs attention before refitting but that's a while off yet tbh.

Front bumpers off

Headlights spots and indicators out which will be replaced by new.

I pulled the expansion tanlk and old coil wiring along with the old engine loom all out from the bay.

I was a little disapointed when I found a small hole and bad corrosoin starting to eat away the n/s front wing but its only inticed me to give the whole engine bay a good lick of paint after a nice stainless steel plate is welded neetly in place of the corrosoin. :) I hate rust ! But will be good as new soon so not too worry!

I removed from the 306 gti6 engine the starter motor , power steering pump, tensioner, alternator and air con pump which are all now for sale if anybodys intrested? Will post them in for sale soon. I can't wait to get the disc cutter through the big bulky bracket sticking out ! Looks s*ite las it is! This is as far as I've got so far but I'm planning to spend a good bit off my time cleaning and painting on the weekend while mrs catchs up with some friends (and leaves me in pease!) .

The next post will be the photos of work done up until now and as I go along and get stuff primed !be on here by sunday !

I've seen a few projects on here that have just been abandond, I'm not sure of the circumstances but I intend on finishing this thread just as I've started it.

Edited by hothatch

paul205mi16

Stainless Steel Plate welding in place of the corrosion?

Edited by paul205mi16

hothatch

Cheers sarty!

Yes exactly what I said. Cut the piece of metal out that has suffered from rot and weld in a lovly piece of high grade stainless that we use in work.

hothatch

Here she is just after removal of engine.

post-15742-1272046713_thumb.jpg

Edited by hothatch

hothatch

here she is with the front end removed you can see the rust where the washer bottle has been sat, get this welded up next im not too worried as the rest of the car is solid. be stripping the rest of the bay down for painting so shes nice an shiny before my 6 lump goes in !!

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/ho...100418-1403.jpg

the old 1600 ecu and engine loom removed.

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/ho...100408-1729.jpg

Heres my inlet manifold from the 6 engine thats going to have a good lick of paint before reassembly !

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/ho...100423-1650.jpg

at the moment the engines at a mates, parts are at my garage and the cars at work! so the next step is to get it all under one roof ! this weekend hopfully ! i will then show my progress step by step asking quiestions along the way to hopfully help anyones else doing a conversion.

Edited by hothatch

hothatch

Got the 6 lump down at the garage today began stripping all the coolant hoses and oil breather hoses , engine mounting bracket and wiring guide brackets.

One of The pas pump pipe had a bad leak on the 306 for quite some time by the looks of things so I've had the old GUNK cengine degreaser out which is awsome stuff to use, managed to clean most of it off, going to get the rest off tomorrow and hopfull give the block a few coats of black.

I stripped down the inlet manifold along with the helmholtz resonater which is going to be blanked off permenatly , hope this is a good idea ! After all I have read on here its the thing to do for good noise without losing engine torque! I gave the inlet a good wire brush off and is looking rather clean, was going to paint this but not to sure now as I don't know how well the paint takes to the cast ally, what primer to use ? I was going for the normal u-pol stuff but is a higher temp coating needed ?

Edited by hothatch

hothatch

Quick update, managed too get a fair bit done in the garage today fairplay was left in piece!

I've got a new plan now due to work and other commitments, I am now only going to do work on sundays I think I will get far more done just worlking one full day a week and suits my life a lot better.

Also can't believe how money you can spend on sundries like degreasing mateirials and paint etc... Really does all add up.

Any way I did a fair bit today,

Managed to paint inlet manifold and other various parts and brackets including the cam covers now awaiting the rubber gaskets to be delivered at work tommorow, also need new exaust , inlet and thermostat housing gaskits. Going to order a new timing belt kit tomorrow as well. Are the crankshaft pullys keyed or tapered ? Any light on this would be appreicated.

Cut off the pas pump bracket from the mount ready.

Removed the exhaust manifold to take to work tommorow too cut and weld. Any one got a rough idea on how much of an angke needed to clear the bulk head? I was going to go for 15 - 20mm ? Too much ?

I had a good look at the wiring today also, I know where most of the plugs go but need a bit of light shed on a few plugs , again would be much appreicated! Thanks in advance!

I will post up the links for the images later tonight ok. Thanks all.

hothatch

i intend on painting every part i can from the engine and car as really want to make this stand out quite well, dont get me wrong its not going to be show car standards but it will look smart. hopfully :)

post-15742-1272231906_thumb.jpg

post-15742-1272232082_thumb.jpg

hothatch

Also my inlet in paint , not finished yet though. excuse the bad picture qaulity :D

I also managed to get pas part of the engine mounting bracket cut and painted, the bit i cut off! i like getting rid !! :)

post-15742-1272232204_thumb.jpg

post-15742-1272232356_thumb.jpg

Edited by hothatch

hothatch

i am pretty sure where most of the plugs go off the gti6 loom but was wondering if anyone knew what these were for ?

the brown one charcoal filter ?

the other two, pas and air con ? hopfully lol :)

post-15742-1272232615_thumb.jpg

post-15742-1272232715_thumb.jpg

hothatch

And these two !

Cam position

and

Lambda?

Also do i need a relay for the bottom one ? the big plug by the ECU ?

post-15742-1272232875_thumb.jpg

post-15742-1272232896_thumb.jpg

post-15742-1272232971_thumb.jpg

Daviewonder

Bottom one is for twin relay, only one I can help with I'm affraid :)

hothatch

I bought the loom already converted so i was wondering if any of the boys on here who are doing looms all the time could quickly confirm if these look right ? please ? :)

and what is this one for? the bottom image ? speedo sensor?

also i cant think for the life of me where any of these 3 biege coulored plugs go that hang down around the throttle body area accept for maybe one on to the reverse light switch on the box ? :D

Any help is much appreicated , thanks

post-15742-1272233127_thumb.jpg

post-15742-1272233143_thumb.jpg

post-15742-1272233464_thumb.jpg

Edited by hothatch

hothatch
Bottom one is for twin relay, only one I can help with I'm affraid :D

No worries thats great thanks. i need to find one of these relays then as i dont have one lol ! :)

hothatch

And my exhaust manifold and torque bush mount, take these to work in the morning. get rid of that oe bush and make way for a bbm one.

with the exhaust i was going to cut and bend so it lowers the flange by about 15-20mm, is this enough, or too much ?!

im asking too many questions now arnt i lol! dont worry this is enough to keep me going for a while lol. :)

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac71/ho...owmuchangle.jpg

hothatch

Also got my cam covers primed as well, new rubber gaskets for these tomorrow. :)

post-15742-1272234069_thumb.jpg

DrSarty
No worries thats great thanks. i need to find one of these relays then as i dont have one lol ! :D

I have one Ben.

£15.00 posted (they are £40 new from Peugeot :) ).

Work's looking good there.

Reference the loom questions, firstly there are some really clear topics/guides on here that show GTI6 conversion wiring, and secondly you should find that colour matching and/or plug matching should be quite easy as each of the JPT plugs has a slot in meaning it should only go in one place.

Think of a French production line - people just have to throw these things together quickly, so all of the plugs should be pretty easy to match up without even think what they do.

Edited by DrSarty

hothatch
I have one Ben.

£15.00 posted (they are £40 new from Peugeot :) ).

Work's looking good there.

Reference the loom questions, firstly there are some really clear topics/guides on here that show GTI6 conversion wiring, and secondly you should find that colour matching and/or plug matching should be quite easy as each of the JPT plugs has a slot in meaning it should only go in one place.

Think of a French production line - people just have to throw these things together quickly, so all of the plugs should be pretty easy to match up without even think what they do.

Excellent stuff rich ! Much appreicated :D will pm you later for details. Thanks saves me few bucks !

Yes you are right dr , and I don't want to aggitate people with stuff that's alreafy here in the forum but I was just thinking it would be nice going into that extra detail and covering it all in one thread, I'm pretty confident with most of the things. But I just wanted too make it easier to understand forpeople who REALLY struggle and also a guide for myself.

Perhaps your right though, may cut back on some of the easier stuff. :)

welshpug

with the manifold, best bet is to cut it, bolt it to the head in the engine bay, then bend and tack, remove and weld up :)

hothatch
with the manifold, best bet is to cut it, bolt it to the head in the engine bay, then bend and tack, remove and weld up :)

Lmao ii just been looking at it now haha I don't know what I was thinking 15-20mm ! That's waaaay too much lol.

Yes thanks welsh pug I will be doing just that. Will be certain then that it fits .

Any chance you could answer a few of my wiring questions please buddy !? Don't worry if your busy but is much appreicated. Thanks bud.

hothatch

No one going to answer any wiring questions ? No ? Lol nevamind I wll manage not to worry !!! :)

SurGie

TBH mate please read the top where it says 'And finally, use this topic mostly for presenting the work and ask technical questions in adequate technical forums'. It may help you more.

If you use the google page to search topics you will get more detailed topics, iv recently seen a few threads about such plugs so they are out there i just cant remember which forums they are in.

hothatch
TBH mate please read the top where it says 'And finally, use this topic mostly for presenting the work and ask technical questions in adequate technical forums'. It may help you more.

If you use the google page to search topics you will get more detailed topics, iv recently seen a few threads about such plugs so they are out there i just cant remember which forums they are in.

I asked someone too answer the questions , you get lots of this on here.

I'm alright with the wiring, its people who are thinking of doing the conversion but are not too sure. I'm asking all the questions I was asking when I wanted to do it.

It is hard to find all the info in one place, its all scattered about so hence my ways.

And anyway I've seen the threads with the plugs. And they DON'T cover the plugs I have shown accept for pas and the relay.

Anyway back to it :)

Edited by hothatch