• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

[misc_work] Operation Super Shed

miamichris
great work Matt, looks very tidy and proffesional, you should take it up full time!!

i dont know how you've tied in the roof truss crossmembers ?

when i put the extension on my last house, we had to use nail plates either side of each crossmember and 30mm square twist nails, as per THIS

^^ Also, I agree with the above, get those nail plates on or you could even cut 1/2" plywood gussets, I would glue and screw them on either side, they will give the trusses some extra strength.

M@tt

calvin to answer your question....this :lol:

85 x 3.6m pressure treated waney lap boards I think i might have ordered too many looking at them but we'll see ;) I'm going to have to run a circuar saw down some of them to make them more managable and parallel but i think they should look quite good.

IMG_0596.jpg

cheers for the comments Chris ;)

yeah the only thing is that kingspan stuff would work out something daft like £1k which i cant really justify :(

I've fitted the nail plates as suggested so them crossmebers aren't going anywhere :ph34r:

M@tt

After thinking about what Chris said about insulation, i had another trawl on the internet last night and found that there were places that dealt in "seconds" of the insulation boards, after phoning round a couple of places i found one www.aandainsulationservices.com could do 2400x1200x100mm foil backed sheets for the walls @ £21 and 2400x1200x65mm sheets for the roof @ £16 which is quite a good saving and would work out about £470 inc delivery to insulate the whole workshop (excluding ply boards to cover them up)

so i think i'm going to go with that option :lol:

miamichris
After thinking about what Chris said about insulation, i had another trawl on the internet last night and found that there were places that dealt in "seconds" of the insulation boards, after phoning round a couple of places i found one www.aandainsulationservices.com could do 2400x1200x100mm foil backed sheets for the walls @ £21 and 2400x1200x65mm sheets for the roof @ £16 which is quite a good saving and would work out about £470 inc delivery to insulate the whole workshop (excluding ply boards to cover them up)

so i think i'm going to go with that option :huh:

Some good bargain hunting there and a good decision too! :)

Dj_mini

Wow what a workshop great bit of diy!

As for the kingspan / celotex i used 50mm seconds in my old garage it doesnt look great as there will be a few dents and rips but they still do the job and make such an improvement if you can afford it definetly go for it.

M@tt

Ive managed to tick a few more jobs off the to-do list over the weekend. First was to finish the last bit of wrapping the frame in breather membrane, so now its completely covered. With the rain kicking in a couple of times over the last week i decided the second job was to cover the roof boards in membrane to prevent it from absorbing water and possibly swelling and distorting so that took the best part of yesterday afternoon to do as i had to keep repositioning the ladder to fit it as the membrane was incredibly slippy and meant standing or sitting on it was impossible otherwise i would have slid right off the roof! :P

before i laid the membrane i fitted the plastic drip edge boards to the roof boards which protect the wooden fascia boards and will channel the rain water straight into the guttering.

IMG_0600.jpg

today's job was to size up some of the board so that they were all similar width. i didn't get too far as i had to spent some time with the family but hopefully i should make some good progress this week finishing cutting the boards and also starting to fix the cladding.

IMG_0602.jpg

IMG_0603.jpg

Luckily my neighbours are away for a fortnight so i can dismantle the trellis fencing between the side of the shed and their bushes which will mean i can hammer in the cladding boards better as there really isn't enough space to swing a hammer at the moment

so that's it for now...but stay tuned

hexhamstu

Looks huge now that it's more of a garage shape! Get a photo of the inside!

M@tt

update time

I've made some good progress since my last update, i can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel :D

Since last time i've managed to clad the wall which borders my next door neighbours fence, it was a complete mission as i had to try and hold all the timber lengths in place whilst leaning over the top of the frame to nail them, i came up with the idea of using some wire lassoos which i slid the planks through and wrapped round the trusses to hold them at the correct height, genius!!! anyway that took a good couple of days to complete.

Once that was done i could finally finish boarding the other half of the roof and covering it in its protective membrane.

with the roof now temporarily water tight (still need to fit all the felt shingles) i turned my attention to the cladding as i could do this in the evenings after work without pissing my neighbours off too much with constant nailing of the roof which makes such a racket!!

anyway heres a few pics

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0614.jpg

IMG_0616.jpg

pugpete1108

thats some attention to detail there with the shiplap along the wall.

nice touch B)

i've been watching this thread for a while, it would be nice to see a car in there to actually see how wide it is.

still quite jealous though :D

miamichris

Nice scribing work at the stone wall sir, I tip my hat to you! ;)

M@tt

cheers chaps

I could have done with one of those proper profile tools but as i didn't have one i used pointy stick with a hole in it and pushed a nail through it and made small indents in the plank thus showing the profile. i then just joined the dots ;) made the job 5 times longer but i think it's worth it

Iain-gti

Looks very smart matt wish i had a garage like that in my garden. The builder has turned off his reviews/feedback so know one can see it. Sounds like a bit of fool but least the garage looks good.

flipperthebushkangaroo

WOW,

I want one, unfortunatly i have no room :huh: , cracking job though top quality too.

M@tt

update time

i've manged to finish cladding the front of the building, and i'm really pleased with how it looks :) its still got fasica boards to go on the roof edge but i'll fit those once i've finished fitting the shingles to the roof

f9c089a2.jpg

I've also made a start on the long side, that should go up pretty quikly as theres no fiddly cutting of the planks to match the brickwork involved, so hopeully by next weekend it should be up.

As i can only really hammer and use the circular saw till about 8.30pm each night without pissing the neighbours off i think i'll make a start on fitting the wiring to the plug sockets and lighting as well this week.

Edited by M@tt

M@tt

mini update

managed to get some more of the side wall done, more to do this weekend

d1686251.jpg

M@tt

got most of the long side done today and also cut some of the internal ply lining to size, ready for when the insulation arrives on Monday

IMG_0634.jpg

IMG_0633.jpg

toddydal

i always look forward to this thread what a great job your doing matt how long do you think it will be before its finished

Baz

Coming along fantastically! And not taking long really either, top job! :D

M@tt

cheers gents, i can't wait for it to be finished, i'm bloody knackered!!

i reckon another month realistically as all the little bits will take time

as the weather was good today i decided to crack on with fitting the roof shingles, i was pretty much at it all day and still not finished by got a good 75% done

it was getting a bit dark when i took this pic but hopefully you get the jist

IMG_0639.jpg

M@tt

well the insulation arrived today, just a small matter of cutting it all up to fit between the studwork!!

IMG_0656.jpg

Henry Yorke

Has the garage door arrived yet? Shout if you need a hand one night :)

M@tt

yeah garage door has been here for a month! its actually light enough to install single handedly! the joys of extruded aluminium

M@tt

well i've spent a couple of evenings cutting and fitting the insulation. Almost there!

Cutting the slabs with a circular saw made the job alot easier but the dust went everywhere!! fine gritty particles in the eyes and lungs!! i had to fashion a mask from some (clean) boxer shorts as i had no dust masks/sealing goggles to hand!! :)

IMG_0666.jpg

Iain-gti

Looks really smart, you fancy coming to make me one :)

miamichris
i had to fashion a mask from some (clean) boxer shorts as i had no dust masks/sealing goggles to hand

haha!! Buy yourself a mask you skinflint! :) and a bluntish handsaw cuts that insulation quite well.