• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

[misc_work] Operation Super Shed

M@tt

cheers chris

i was going for the full spanning beam design partly because i was lazy and didn't fancy having to to cut bird mouths in 18 trusses (based on 600mm spacing) :lol: but also i have the added problem that the drive actually gets narrower the further along it you go so the side walls are not going to be parallel. Therefore having the full cross beam sitting ontop of the walls will allow for the difference in width. It's not a massive difference in width (about 15cm) but its enough to not make the bird mouths possible :)

M@tt

hmm having a bit of a dilemma now...

i've just costed up the inspection pit and its looking like costing about £600 in materials (plus labour to dig the hole)

working on 3.7m x 1m wide x 1.8 deep

ive got (inc VAT)

192x 9"x9"x18" Hollow Blocks for walls = £262

1x 4mx15m visqueen sheet = £30 inc vat

1x 1 tonne grey sand (for brick mortar) = £35

20x 25kg cement bags = £85 (enough for concrete base + wall motar)

1x 1 tonne ballast for concrete base mix = £35

1x digger hire (half will be spent on block paving section so not wholly on pit) £150

boards for shuttering £20

hmm decisions decisions

it seems to add up to quite alot for essentially a hole in the ground but then again if i'm going to the lengths of building from scrtch i might as well do it at the same time.

Peetypug

have you shopped aound for those prices or just gone to the local building supplies place?

welshpug

1.8m deep?

are you as tall as henry or something? :ph34r:

M@tt

i've gone ot the local arnold laver just down the road and explained i'll probably be spending a couple of thousand but in a couple of hundred pound chunks at a time and he's give me much discounted prices than what i was originally quoted by them. Now i've got jhis quote i'll ring round a few others and see what i can get in comparison

1.8 because you need 10-15cm for a concrete base so thats about 165-170cm and i'm 6ft so i don't want to be banging my head all the time! :ph34r:

Edited by M@tt

welshpug

ahhh I see, also I was thinking of a commercial pit, forgetting that they aren't as deep but a lot wider, doh!

M@tt

yeah i'd love a lift but not got the 3ph power most of them run on, or the width, or the height :)

i've looked at those scissor lifts but you usually need another big controller to raise/lower them as well :huh:

Henry Yorke

You might need to cost in channels and a sliding pit jack if you are putting a pit in, then also the ability to board it over with something strong, particularly thinking of Noah running about. A mate of mine had cut wooden blocks that covered over the pit. Also you would need a ladder too!

Tom Fenton

To be honest Matt, from what you are coming from, I wouldn't worry too much about a lift or pit. I manage perfectly OK in my garage with neither.

allanallen

I was up at calvins the other day and the dog fell down the pit, we could hear it but we couldn't find it :D piss funny

Peetypug
To be honest Matt, from what you are coming from, I wouldn't worry too much about a lift or pit. I manage perfectly OK in my garage with neither.

you do have at least 1500mm either side of the car though -_-

i was gob smacked at the size of yours........... garage that is :D

M@tt

right another change of plan!!

the inspection pit is now no longer needed as i've just bought this!!! (not the A6 :D) David i'm holding you presonnally responsible!!

P1020863.jpg

P1020866.jpg

I'm going to shutter a recess in the new concrete floor for this to sit in, so its flush to the floor.

I've also made some good progress this weekend

I managed to dismantle the carport without killing myself (only just). I use dismantle in the loosest possible sense as it was more of an uncontrolled collapse!! luckliy i managed to jump clear after removing the last remaining truss tie as it came crashing down but in the process i managed to stand on a plank with an up turned nail in it which went right through my shoe and into my heel about a good cm or so ouch!! :D

anyway at least it was down :)

IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

IMG_0192.jpg

I'm going to recycle the old carport roof materials for shuttering the new concrete wall, doing my bit for the environment :o

I also wired in the new armoured cable. Trying to get it through our house wall which is 60cm solid stone was fun!!

IMG_0193.jpg

i think thats about it for now

Edited by M@tt

mitch205gti

Loving the car lift :) how much was it?

M@tt

£670 B) which is slightly more than what the pit would have cost to dig but i can always either sell it on at a later point or take it with me if we were to ever move.

Its single phase which means it will run off a normal 13amp plug socket so no fancy 3ph electrics required :)

Edited by M@tt

allanallen
£670

Christ :o didn't realise it was that much! I'm going to enjoy 'storing' it for you anyway :)

M@tt

yeah dont be flogging it to the pikeys whilst my back is turned! :)

new ones are approximately a grand plus so got a bit of a saving

Peetypug

thats sweet as funk!!

god i'd love one of those!!!!!!!!!!!!

i'm only slightly jealous!

Atari Boy

Will you need to have a taller building to factor in the extra hight on the car once raised or will you be okay?

Peetypug
Will you need to have a taller building to factor in the extra hight on the car once raised or will you be okay?

he needs a taller building just to factor in him height :)

M@tt

update time...

I've been slowly chipping away at the groundwork, it takes quite a while doing it all on my own and trying to fit it around a 9-5 job and having to spend "Quality Time" with the family :( anyway i'm just making excuses why progress isn't as speedy as i'd like <_<

To make this things even trickier with marking out and getting the levels right i've found the walls of the drive aren't parallel with each other, the gates to the drive aren't square to the drive and when the levels are all on the piss! so it means everything has to be checked about 4 times before i do anything major. Here s a few pics of the last day or so's progress

IMG_0214.jpg

IMG_0217.jpg

I've also built the shuttering for the recessed hole i'm going to have for the car lift to sit in in the floor.

IMG_0219.jpg

M@tt

after initally setting the first shutter level so that block paved section of the drive would slope downhill from the garage towards the gate (& drain) i found that due to my garden sloping away it meant the garage floor level was over 150mm higher than it was now, so instead of that i've decided to keep the floor at about the same level it is now and have a drainage gulley infront of the garage to stop and water ingress instead.

This meant however i needed to do a hell of a lot of digging to take the soil out inbetween the shutters!! thats pretty much i did all day and i'm now officially broken!!

There's still more digging to be done as i need a deeper section for the car lift recess

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0223.jpg

M@tt

I've been slowly chipping away at the groundwork still!!!....

I've now pretty much finished the first section including the recess for the car lift, the next step is to wacker plate the sub base down before the visqueen sheet is layed, the matabar sheet is cut and bent to shape and the concrete is poured. The boards down the edges of the walls are expasion boards, they're soft fibre boards and they will absorb the expansion of the concrete slab as it cures rather than the slab putting undue stress against the wall.

As i'm having to fit all the work in around evenings and weekends it's taking its time so rather than hire a wacker plate i'm going to buy one and sell it on after i've finished as it will work out cheaper than hiring one repeatedly or for a long period of time.

IMG_0239.jpg

I've had my first load of materials delivered which are now blocking up the drive. And i'm due some more later in the week so hopefully should have some more exciting progress later in the week

Henry Yorke

I bet you are glad you gave up on the pit idea now with all that digging!!

M@tt

absolutely! :)