• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
M@tt

[misc_work] Operation Super Shed

Peetypug

ayup matt

first time i've looked at this for a while.

the last 2 lots of concrete i've laid were impossible to measure properly, so used a firm that mix it there and then and will mix anything between a barrow and 10m3 to any strength!

most pre-mixed firms put more than you ask for anyway

i'd be very pissed off if that was my garage floor!

i'd also wonder what else he had thrown in out of the van

as already stated though, it will be sturdy enough for what you need

M@tt

today only saw a little bit of progress as i had "family" stuff to do

i finished making the windows frames and knocked up my own patent pending jig for cutting the truss timbers :huh:

th_IMG_0544.jpg

th_IMG_0545.jpg

Atari Boy

Still can't add anything useful in terms if technical input but looks as though it is coming on really well.

M@tt

cheers chaps yeah its progressing nicely at the moment :)

I've got a question one of the builders might be able to help me with. I'm insualting the walls like so

Cladding boards > Breather laithes > Breathable membrane > studwork with rockwool insuation > Polyethene Vapour Barrier > Plyboard internal cladding

now with regards to the roof i'd also like to insulate the roof as well but i'm abit unsure the best way to go about it.

basically the roof truss design will look like so

0fcdc6cf.jpg

so will introduce a bit of a void in the top of the ridge which i'm uncertain what to do about. The plan was to use a similar method of

felt shingles > breathable membrane > osb roof boards > studwork with rockwool > Breather laithes > polyethene vapour barrier > plyboards

the breather laithes would hold the rock wool in place and provide an air gap allowing the rockwool to breathe. and the air would circulate through the gaps where the rafter sit ontop of the frame headers (not sure of proper technical lingo) HOwever with the introduction of the cross members it doesn't make it so simple so i'm a bit unsure whats best to do

any ideas??

DRTDVL

just wondering if you going to make the cross members strong enough that you could attach a pully and use it to remove engines?

M@tt
just wondering if you going to make the cross members strong enough that you could attach a pully and use it to remove engines?

No I've got an engine crane for that :)

M@tt

update time

using my super handy jig i knocked up 17 trusses the other night and then today i had the fun task of installing them all.

Its starting to look like a garage now, and its big!! :)

th_IMG_0553.jpg

th_IMG_0554.jpg

th_IMG_0556.jpg

th_IMG_0559.jpg

tomorrows job is cutting and installing the roof boards

Edited by M@tt

Pugnut

great work Matt, looks very tidy and proffesional, you should take it up full time!!

i dont know how you've tied in the roof truss crossmembers ?

when i put the extension on my last house, we had to use nail plates either side of each crossmember and 30mm square twist nails, as per THIS

M@tt

i've actually got a load of those nail plates here, but at the moment i've just screwed the cross members to the rafters. I think i'll nail them on tomorrow though before i put the roof sheets on.

I'm still a bit unsure about the best way to insulate the roof (cheaply) and as yet i'm not sure what i'm going to do. I'm hoping someone can give me a few pointers but so far i've drawn a blank

Pugnut

most insulation boards cost the earth (or certainly it did the last time i bought any). I guess a cheap way would be to lay some breathable membrane (plastic will probably make the roof sweat) loosely over the joists, then roll out glass wool horizontally, then nail on the roof boards. it should be ok to the lay and nail the boards directly onto quite thin glass wool, or you could lay it vertically between the joists.

Al

Atari Boy

Looking really good, nice progress. How high off the ground will you be able to raise a 205 using your sissor lift? I am thinking about max headroom really.

toddydal

looking reaaly good matt what size is it as it looks massive,im just going for the easy option and getting a prefab garage up it should be up next friday.im liking the Scissor Lift could do with one of these mysell

toddydal

looking reaaly good matt what size is it as it looks massive,im just going for the easy option and getting a prefab garage up it should be up next friday.im liking the Scissor Lift could do with one of these mysell

M@tt

It's just short if 10m long and 3.4m wide and height to the eaves(top if Walls) is just over 2m

The scissor lift will lift the car 1m off the ground so the roof height should accommodate that or very nearly at least.

Unfortunately due to the narrowing of my drive Walls a prefab jib was out of the question so I just made it up as I went along with done scribbles on the backs of various envelopes :)

Edited by M@tt

Obey_R

Very impressive!

Is there a specific reason the pit for the lift is right at the front rather than towards to back?

M@tt
Very impressive!

Is there a specific reason the pit for the lift is right at the front rather than towards to back?

The back portion of the workshop is going to have workbenches around it and storage

M@tt

Well i managed to get half the roof on today, i'm going to have to leave the other half till after i've clad the side wall that runs down the neighbours fench as i will need to lean over the top of the wall to nail the cladding onto the studwork.

Them sheets are heavier than they look as well!! i got a right sweat on lifting them into place on my own half way up a step ladder :)

th_IMG_0586.jpg

tidypug

making good progress mate :)

Paulmac19
The back portion of the workshop is going to have workbenches around it and storage

And maybe a chest freezer judging by your shopping bill post Matt :)

M@tt
And maybe a chest freezer judging by your shopping bill post Matt :lol:

:D

well i've cut the roof sheets and rafters to size with a circular saw and using a couple of 4.8m lengths of wood screwed to the roof in a straight line to act as a guide.

and tonight i've made a start wrapping the outside in breather membrane. I've got further than this but it was dark when i finished so will have to take a better pic tomorrow

th_IMG_0590.jpg

Leet205

excellent work matt, bet you cant wait to get into it and start working on things!

M@tt

absolutely!!

M@tt
7f5b19b3.jpg

calvinhorse

Go M@tt! whats going on the outside? stone? wood? human skin?

miamichris

I've cast my joiner's eye over those pics of your studwork and it looks really good, its always a shame to cover the hard work up! :(

Sorry I never gave you any response on the insulation, was on holiday and mid engine conversion now so only catching up with your project. I would definitely consider fitting the solid board type insulation such as celotex/kingspan, its not cheap but insulation is not something to scrimp on, spend the money now and in the winter you'll be glad you did! It comes in 8'x4' sheets and you just saw it to size and fit between the ceiling joists/rafters, its easy fitted :)

Still some great work you're turning out Matt, you should be proud!

Edited by miamichris