• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
denva2682

Anyone From Kent?

kentish_lad

hay all im a newbee from kent the gravesend area and deffo up for a meet in the local sort of area but not got a gti but a 1.4 xs with the old laydown xy8 twin carbs and a boy racer exhaust (soon to be changed ) just payed £200 for her and her 52000 origanl miles been owned by one family her whole life and lived in a garage will get some picks up sooon good to see you local lot soon i hope

peace to all Aaron xx

Jemehan

Yeap. We do need to organise where and when tough!! should be looking at doing it soon if everyone is free?

james_pug
Yeap. We do need to organise where and when tough!! should be looking at doing it soon if everyone is free?

I did put some date up in the Kent meet thread but no one seemed that intrested at the time.

Are we still all set to leave at 1 on Saturday then?

damien

im not sure if im going to be able to make it now, my 205 is doing nothing but fall apart around me.

strange as i never had a problem with her when i was running my 195k 8v lump and now ive gone 16v she just dont want to play ball.

was stuck in ashford all day at my mothers today as i thought the battery went flat from a rubbish old alternator, after going to halfords and getting a battery she still wouldnt start, just turned over once then nothing. went down to gsf and got a starter motor and again no change. after a number of texts to tris i "cowboyed" a earth cable from the battery to the gearbox and hayho she started first time. i waisted a whole bloody day and loads of pennys on a battery/starter.

on the way home the stop light decided to show its bloody face, why i dont know, i did pop the bonnet had have a look but everything looks ok, but i did notice that the earth cables that sit on top of the struts have melted, also noticed that the cable for the bonnet pull is falling part, if i pull the leaver much more the cable is going to snap, and to top it off my radio stopped working so i remmoved only to find it wet. a quick search on the forum leads me to beleave that the heater matrix is leaking.

im still going to tris saturday morning for him to look at the rev counter and see if they can weld up my now blowing exhaust.

i remember the days my 205 was fun to drive........ it was afew days before the gti6 lump was fitted ;)

pugpete1108

still ok for 1 mate. may not be in the 205 yet what with the probs i am having.

if not i'll take the xsara ;)

james_pug

That's all bad news damien, I have a bonnet catch off you old convertable that your welcome to, I'd guess that the earth cables on the struts you say have melted is down to the poor earth connection on the gearbox, I believe heater matrix's are about £20 ish from euro car parts I don't think there all that hard to change either although it could just be bypassed to get you going also that could be why the stop light was on? Low coolant maybe? If it helps I can lend a hand saturday morning if you need any help

damien

doing to drop the kids off school and go down ecp this morning, hopfuly they have the heater matrix in stock, also find out if they have the bonnet cable.

i can see today being a busy one.....

and there was me thinking i could spend the day cleaning

Jemehan

Hey, Pete - did you change that engine mount and did it help?

Damien - matrix is pretty easy to replace by taking out about 8 screws and prising back the plastic center console under the steering wheel, easy enough job! If you do need ahand im about today mate, so can come find you and swap it out. Mine always likes to mis-behave. randomly decides she wont start, starter motor power cable jumps off, or the solonoid gets stuck. Yesterday decided that the exhaust manifold gasket had had enough and its ticking, so trip to ECP in a min to fix that. damn 205, why oh why do i like it so much?!

And with the car meet, pete and i touched on this yesterday too. we thaught maybe in august was the best time to do it? what would be the best time in august for people? and where abouts along the coast do people want to go? I would post it on the kent meet section, want to check with you guys on here first as all us kentish lot come on here more.

Edited by Jemehan

pugpete1108

pug off the road :P

i changed the mount and not difference which would say either driveshaft or bellhousing bolts.

i went over the bolts this morning and one was missing on the top rear so i replaced that, i checked the lower rear one and as i was tightening it it started to get looser so i removed it and the thread in the box is stripped :)

i have decided to take it back off the road to fit a 1.9 gearbox,shafts and hubs and some big brakes (which was the plan all along anyway) the way i see it i have to replace the box as its a 1.6 one anyway and if i have to get new shafts i might as well buy recon 1.9 ones then source some hubs and gti6 brakes, as my brakes are terrible anyway.

glum but the way i see it is there is no point driving a car that is no fun and i dont feel safe in.

im still doing pugfest in the xsara and will come down to a local meet too if noone minds the vts tagging along.

damien

another poo day for me.

phoned ecp this morning, they said they had the matrix in stock so i rush up there only to find its not they did say they tryed to phone me back but didnt get a reply, i let them off that as i was driving and i dont have it on, they said that they could get it in for 1pm, ok me thinks so i pop into mothers as its her birthday. when im there i thought i would top up the water to make up for the big puddle in the footwell, so i pull the bonnet cable and snap it goes.

after burning my hand a number of times on the engine i managed to get the bonnet up and once again "cowboy" another repare to my car.

so 1pm comes and i go down to ecp only to find that the driver is stuck in traffic cos of this lorry crash/car crush on the round-a-bout. im now very unimpressed so home i go. on the way the engine temp flys up becasue once again all the water is in the footwell. got home and decided to play with the hoses to bypass the heater matrix, great idea at the time until i removed the 2 pipes forgetting that the engine was running less than 5 mins ago so i get a hand full of boiled water, from the shock i pull my hand back i hit the exhaust manifold which was even hotter!!!

after afew strong words and a warm glass of coke (yes warm as i forgot to put it in the fridge from the night before) i get to it.

all seemed well, so i started her up and tryed to bleed the system, note the word tryed i seemed to of forgotted that ive got the bbm hoses with no bleed screws so i left the cap off the water bottle, again all is going well but the water/engine just seemed to get hotter and hotter with the water boiling over, i had a look at the temp gage and its off the scale, stop light going mad.... WTF!!!

turned it all off only to find the rad fans are now not working, they where fine the other blood day. once again i "cowboyed" a switch to the rad fan so now it at least comes on at high speed whenever i need it to.

apon cleaning up my tools that are all over the place i spot my backbox seemed to be hanging a little low so i go and have a look, to my suprise the arms that hold the backbox to the rubber mounts had snapped. so ive bloody left it and i will give it a poke in the morning......

oh and ecp left me a message at 5.15 saying they matrix has turned up and its ready to be picked up, no chance today maybe tomorrow and i'll fit it on sunday...

im starting to lose intrest now.....

james_pug

Are you still coming to pugfest damien? It sounds like you've had a bad couple of days with the 205 just think of how run it will be once it's all sorted.

damien

im still plainning on coming, got to drop my dog off at the inlaws at 8 then get to tris at 9. wont be back on the computer from now on...

pete will need to give me a text as i dont have his number.

Jemehan

aaah s*it man!! what an epicly bad day!! could be worse, atleast the car is on the road, petes isnt, really odd his problem! how many 205s are going to go to pugfest?!