• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stee 1FM

Up Dating And Modifying Your 205

GLPoomobile
it worked great accept when the manifold got really hot it caused the water in the pipe to boil and squirt out of the washers :P

That's an interesting definition of a design that works great :) You ever thought of working for an American car company? :)

Daviewonder
That's an interesting definition of a design that works great :) You ever thought of working for an American car company? :)

Ok it was great at de-icing and not so great for regular use :P

Another thought for the low oil pressure buzzer (you've really got my attention with this one) could you get the power from the fuel pump circuit as its only live when the engine is running??

GLPoomobile

Just remembered another couple of electrical do-dahs I'd like to incorporate. Timed relay for the heated rear screen, and a timed relay for the interior light (although some alarms have that function anyway).

Oh and slap a heated windscreen on the list while we're at it.

madspikes
Baring in mind that I spend infinitely more time thinking about things I could do to my 205 than actually doing them (or indeed driving it, for that matter :lol: ), most of the ideas listed below I haven't actually done myself. I can't take credit for all of these as some of them are widely publicised (sp?) mods, or maybe not as common but have already been done by someone more motivated than me!

etc etc

That's about all I can think of right now :blush:

Thats some good searching!

I've been think about some of these things myself. The 205 is a great car, but if your using it every day there are a few little things that if updated would make the whole experience so much better, most listed above.

Gas strut bonnet lifters, and under bonnet light should also go on the list.... As my car does spend quite a while with the bonnet up!

Maybe a section on the website for modernisation how to's... I know there is some stuff already.

My latest mind wonder has involved thinking about mirrors. Heated mirrors would be useful, and maybe even electric mirrors... So i've been looking for suitable donors what could donate the whole mirror and not just the workings. Closest so far seems to be an MGF... they seem to look fairly similar, but need further investigation.

Also been thinking about LED internal lighting...

Mad

MerlinGTI

Good thread :lol:

I recently bastardised a scrap 106, it gave my 205:

Wiper motor

Hazard switch ('Danger' red not 'Wheres the bloody hazard button' black!)

Twin jet waher jets (exactly the same as 205 ones but 2 jets insted of 1)

mk5 Golf horn sounders

Wheelbolt covers off a 307

LED side lights (sexy pure white light)

406 brake reservoir cap rubber (more of a replacement than a mod, 205 ones are usually knackered)

LED dash lights (white) ready to go in.

I want a heated windscreen at some stage.

I must say though most of my time and money is spent replacing worn/missing/broken/damaged parts with new orginal 205 items :blush:

tagy

You can fit a wiper stalk from a 605 that has adjustable intermittent wipe. Quite a tight fit though.

Cameron
I was driving a transit recently and when you wanted to change lanes on the motorway you could just tap the indicator stalk and it would indicate 3 times by itself. I wonder if you could wire that in to a 205 as it was pretty cool.

Good to see it isn't just me who's obsessed with the amount of times they indicate! :lol:

hcmini1989

glp what are these marine connectors you speak of any ideas where i can get some .As im currently supporting a hose pipe connector to run my loom through the bulkead

Edited by hcmini1989

daveo
Good thread :blush:

LED side lights (sexy pure white light)

ok , have something similar, but there not LED. there nice and white when the ignition is off, but the moment i turn the ignition on they seem to crossfeed into the dip lights. so my dips come on quite dimly and ruin my nice white lights! :(:lol:

some has mentioned to me that there is some relay for driving in europe and that is why i have this???

any ideas? sorry for th hi jack

Cameron

Yeah it's the dim / dip circuit. I'm not sure if it's a UK requirement, but I guess it is if they bothered to fit it at the factory.

Basically the side lights come on with the ignition off, then when you turn on the ignition it powers up the dim-dip relay, which sends power to the headlight bulbs via a big resistor so they come on dimmed. Then when you turn the headlights on power is routed directly to the headlight bulb from the switch.

I guess you could remove or unplug the headlight resistor so it breaks the dim circuit and that could solve your problem.

jackherer
My latest mind wonder has involved thinking about mirrors. Heated mirrors would be useful, and maybe even electric mirrors... So i've been looking for suitable donors what could donate the whole mirror and not just the workings.

309s have 205 doors with a Citroen BX style wing mirror and BXs were available with electric mirrors... They're not the nicest design though.

stee 1FM
find a 405 in the scrap yard and take the one touch switch from the drivers door, it says "auto" on it, then rip open the door panel and inside you will see a little black box, this controls the one touch system, take this and as much wiring as you can, then wire into your 205 using the wiring thats already there, not to hard a job really.

I have only the drivers one as if you fit the system to the passengers side you wont be able to control that window from the drivers side without alot of wiring,up to you

hope this helps..

hey mate can you start a new thread on this topic

and put it in more detail on what wires go where.

thanks dude.

welshpug

i was wondering about the variable intermittent wipe from a VW thing whilst driving my sisters T4 earlier, that has it too!

also, I'm sure I have seen 309 mirrors on a 405, logic says that if they fit on a 405, then 405 mirrors should fit a 205, they come in heater and electric adjust variation, though they might be a tad large.

also, the variable speed stalk from a 605 wont be of much use if you want to keep the rear wiper as it has no rear wiper function, the stalk is the same as a 405 saloon.

yeti-dj
hey mate can you start a new thread on this topic

and put it in more detail on what wires go where.

thanks dude.

hello, will need to pull my door apart to get all the wiring that i did, busy til Friday but will get it done, from memory i did just use the Haynes manual from the 405 and was easy to figure out...

I take it everyone with electric windows has fitted bulbs so they light up???

Jrod

On the 405 Mi you can twist the wiper stalk, what does that do?

swordfish210
On the 405 Mi you can twist the wiper stalk, what does that do?

Adjusts the time between wipes on the intermittent wipe function. That would be cool in a 205.

Jrod

Wonder how hard that would be to fit, I've all the parts here. :lol:

davepug205

How about a Clifford with total closure and remote start, you can warm your engine up while making a brew and possibly connect it to the heater and a thermostat to bring the interior to a desired temprature, while you getting ready etc :lol:

swordfish210
How about a Clifford with total closure and remote start, you can warm your engine up while making a brew and possibly connect it to the heater and a thermostat to bring the interior to a desired temprature, while you getting ready etc :lol:

That'd be mint, the heater matrix would probably split while you're still in the house though and you'd be none the wiser as anti-freeze slowly soaks your carpet.

davepug205
:lol: that would be just my luck that Edited by davepug205

davepug205

Also fit a small light in the centre dash compartment thats wired to the lid, so it comes on when the lid is fully open.

Fit 12v sockets from an xsara vts, into the side of the centre console in the carpet for a plug in refillable air freshner and one in the boot for charges/ pumps etc

Self Dimming interior mirror from a 206 I think? no more dazzling headlights from blo8dy RangeRovers

Edited by davepug205

woo83

This is my favorite topic, I love all these little touches that you'd never really notice but make the car so much better.

The 205 is a great little car but it was built by Peugeot on a budget and because of this some of the materials and designs used are very poor.

Some of the things I've done/thinking about are.

Stainless wiper pins with bronze bushed spindles (as GLP mentioned, thanks mate) :(

I didn't know the 106 motor was quicker so I'll be looking into that too.

Bronze bushed heater fan.

Aluminium oil breather body and cap.

Rose jointed alternator tensioner.

I'm looking into using the rear window cable opening system from a 309 to open the rear quarter widows. Has anyone done this? also wouldn't be too difficult to electrically operate it.

replaced the ball and socket that holds the gear selector to the sub frame with a rose joint.

I like the idea of the 405 window switches as well, Wasn't aware of that.

The heated windscreen is my must have though, Just cant afford one at the minute. :lol:

I think you have to be careful though the 205 is (IMO) a "proper" gti. Its the lack of air con, airbags, ABS, power steering, heated leather seats that I love. Its old school and thats the best thing about it.

Thanks. John

Edited by woo83

m@ttc
Right then guys

Im a real big fan of modifying/updating my 205. eg....

1-replacing the old sun visers for later gentery ones with the light in them

2- fitting a vw window wiper programable relay

3- replace the old front wiper motor for a 106 as it goes faster

Can you guys think of any more simular mods that i could do to my 205 to bring it in to 2010

cheers stee1fm

not done this but would like to be able to give a 'quick flash' of the main beem at junctions to other drivers to give way etc. without blinding them having to pull the stalk twice. Not good trying to be nice and ending upsetting them because they can no longer see anything.

easypug
How about a Clifford with total closure and remote start, you can warm your engine up while making a brew and possibly connect it to the heater and a thermostat to bring the interior to a desired temprature, while you getting ready etc :(

I had a 205 with all the above, I could start the car from my bedroom. By the time I was ready the car would be completly defrosted and toasty warm :lol:)

easypug

Oh I say all the above, didn't have a thermostat controling the temp... Normal 205 style. I would have to set it to windscreen and hot etc before I got out when parked up.