• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stee 1FM

Up Dating And Modifying Your 205

stee 1FM

Right then guys

Im a real big fan of modifying/updating my 205. eg....

1-replacing the old sun visers for later gentery ones with the light in them

2- fitting a vw window wiper programable relay

3- replace the old front wiper motor for a 106 as it goes faster

Can you guys think of any more simular mods that i could do to my 205 to bring it in to 2010

cheers stee1fm

cRaig

im in the process of sorting the following:

heated seats

electric mirrors from a 106

one touch elec windows from a 405

and im also trying to fit aircon,, but you dont have that problem :)

Daviewonder

One touch window switches out of the 405.

bugger beaten to it by cRaig :)

Edited by Daviewonder

tagy

405 washer spray bars.

Daviewonder
fitting a vw window wiper programable relay

Any more info knocking about on this?

One of my 205's had remote central locking out of a 306 in it when I bought it, but I've yet to look into how much work was involved to fit it.

Edited by Daviewonder

happygoron

Would have thought you would want to keep a 1fm original!

yeti-dj

any more info on the programmable wiper relay would be good,

relay number, cars it comes in etc

cheers

Pugleyrich

what is involved with the 1 touch windows from the 405? is it just the drivers side that does it, and is it just a case of replacing the switch?

yeti-dj
what is involved with the 1 touch windows from the 405? is it just the drivers side that does it, and is it just a case of replacing the switch?

find a 405 in the scrap yard and take the one touch switch from the drivers door, it says "auto" on it, then rip open the door panel and inside you will see a little black box, this controls the one touch system, take this and as much wiring as you can, then wire into your 205 using the wiring thats already there, not to hard a job really.

I have only the drivers one as if you fit the system to the passengers side you wont be able to control that window from the drivers side without alot of wiring,up to you

hope this helps..

Edited by yeti-dj

omega
any more info on the programmable wiper relay would be good,

relay number, cars it comes in etc

cheers

it comes of a golf mk3 and its relay 99 [has a big 99 on it] plugs straight in

swordfish210

I was driving a transit recently and when you wanted to change lanes on the motorway you could just tap the indicator stalk and it would indicate 3 times by itself. I wonder if you could wire that in to a 205 as it was pretty cool.

Daviewonder
I was driving a transit recently and when you wanted to change lanes on the motorway you could just tap the indicator stalk and it would indicate 3 times by itself. I wonder if you could wire that in to a 205 as it was pretty cool.

My new fiat work van does this too, nice touch!

This thread is gold!!!

yeti-dj

keep toying with the idea of a set of HID's...

swordfish210

How about height adjustable headlamps, motor controlled not screwdriver controlled.

Pugleyrich

Thanks yeti-dj that does help. I will have to keep my eye out for 405s! What temp HIDs were you thinking? I dont know if they will suit the 80s look of the 205

welshpug
How about height adjustable headlamps, motor controlled not screwdriver controlled.

my 309 has them :) i think some lhd euro 205's had a similar knob on the dash for this.

on mine I have 405 spraybars, 306 rear dampers, saxo 22mm rear arb, 306 K6 rear dampers.

Motronic MP3.1, the biggest difference to response and manners for the better, especially in traffic, also better on fuel :)

what else I could think of?

swap the rear wiper relay for an intermitttent one from a later pug, they all have them.

nothing else really springs to mind, its an old car after all, I love them for their simplicity as much as anything else :P

on the subject of HID's 4300k is the temp to go for, its what the o.e systems are using for the clearer white light I have been told by matty gti IIRC, anything higher tends to be more blue.

Edited by welshpug

Alastairh

Xsara mist washer jets? :)

will.m

do something to the headlight stalk so you can flash the full beams whilst your on dipped beam, as apposed to clicking them on and then off when you need to flash someone

Daviewonder
do something to the headlight stalk so you can flash the full beams whilst your on dipped beam, as apposed to clicking them on and then off when you need to flash someone

I thought you could just pull it towards you slightly to flash?

EdCherry

Or get a phase 1, mine flashes! :)

SurGie

I like a few of the practical ideas so far but im not that keen on doing so much to try an improve a car that does not need it.The 205 gti is a raw car not a ladies heat ya bum up kinda of car imo, its just not part of the character.

One way to be totally 'original' is to fit an electric engine motor, they can do any car easily now and you can get free power, free tax. Iv seen the new Mini have one and the modern motors can go as fast as the super car status, but it wont keep on running like Duracell do.

I just turn the lights down when they are on or i turn them on when the lights are off to flash cars by.

Edited by SurGie

GLPoomobile

Baring in mind that I spend infinitely more time thinking about things I could do to my 205 than actually doing them (or indeed driving it, for that matter :) ), most of the ideas listed below I haven't actually done myself. I can't take credit for all of these as some of them are widely publicised (sp?) mods, or maybe not as common but have already been done by someone more motivated than me!

Wheels:

alloy copies of the centre caps with the lion cut in to them. Maybe with a brushed finish on the surface too.

Lights:

1 - remove all of the amber reflectors from all the indicators (assuming Ph2 tail lights and clear side repeaters) and use amber LEDs. I know that with OE (Bosch I think they are) tail lights lenses the amber section is separate and removable. Some of the pattern parts are all one piece inside though.

2 - As above, using LED bulbs wherever possible (exterior and interior)

3 - Upgrading the headlight loom so higher wattage bulbs can be used. Although simply renewing the wiring will inevitably improve things anyway.

4 - Driving lights - moulded plastic rims to do away with Ford quality metal that are found as standard. In fact, why not also get moulded plastic copies of the oh-so rare driving light lens protectors and the headlamp protectors?

5 - Prior to the last MOT I discovered what a load of s*it the rear number plate lights are (really iffy contacts) so I'd quite like to remove them and fit an LED unit, perhaps a long LED strip instead. Should give good illumination (keep the lazy bastard good for nothing plod at bay), and less chance of an MOT failure due to iffy electrics.

Wash/wipe:

1 - I've fitted a 406 front washer motor, although it was off eBay so not a genuine Pug part. Not necessarily a performance upgrade but it does use a proper plug connector (I've crimped on a JPT plug) instead of 2 blades and looks much tidier.

2 - I've also wrapped the washer tube around a coolant hose for heated washer fluid. No idea if it actually does any good (well not on mine, as it never gets used :) ) and it doesn't look very tidy so I'll probably revert back to standard.

3 - I've also fitted a 106 front motor. I would still like it to be faster on high speed though.

4 - Got the popular modern aero wiper blades too. Proper Bosch ones. Work very well but now they are as common as muck and actually prefer the look of old fashioned blades.

5 - I had the idea a long time ago, that if I was to do a full on nut and bolt resto, that I would get the OE (worn out) wiper spindles machined, or indeed recreated. Low and behold, one of our members (Woo Doo?) has just done this very same thing, but has even gone to the extent of making new linkages with rose joints! Good on that man :)

6 - I toyed with the idea of using the VW 99 timed wiper relay, but after giving it thought I decided that I might actually find it annoying in use (you have to set the intermittent duration upon every first use of the wipers, per trip).

7 - I definitely want to get an intermittent relay for the rear wipers as it annoys the s*it out of me on long wet motorway journeys having to keep flicking the wiper on and off every few minutes.

8 - 307/Saxo mist type washer jets. I seriously wouldn't recommend these. I've heard that on auto bonnets they are no good as they spray too low on the screen. Well when I fitted mine they were passable as my hinges where broken (this is a standard bonnet by the way), but since the hinges where repaired and the bonnet sits correctly I find the washers just spray right in to the wiper arms. They are f***ing crap really. And you can't adjust them. And they are big and stupid looking.

Mirrors:

1 - I know you can get passenger side heated mirrors, but thinking about what is involved, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to make heated mirrors.

2 - I also one day want to pull the guts out of an electrically adjustable mirror and retro fit it in to a 205 mirror shell. The 205 shell has a chunky metal section inside that hinges outside under the ribbed rubber conduit. I reckon if you weld the hinge up so it's solid, and then cut away the metal in the shell, you could probably get the motor etc in the shell and make it adjustable.

Windows:

1 - One touch illuminated switches (integrated with the remote CL alarm of course ;) ). Ideally keep it Pug, but I know (from an old topic) that you can get Renault switches that drop straight in and do the one touch operation without the need for a separate module.

2 - Electric rear window openers from a BMW 3 series coupe.

Sound proofing:

1 - After reading cRaig's topics, I had a look at the Second Skin website, and they have a lot of really fancy products. I would love to do the whole interior with their sludge and sound mat products.

2 - Also I'd like to minimise all internal rattles and squeaks by stopping bits of plastic rubbing and vibrating off each other, and using fibre or rubber washers on screws and bolts.

3 - Neoprene pocket linings. Put them in the door pockets and cubby holes and they not only help prevent things sliding about, but also serve as padding to deaden rattles from objects vibrating.

Stereo:

1 - Not something I'm massively in to, so the only thing I can add here is that I did in my last 205 fit my head unit in to the cubby hole on the drivers side, for stealth purposes. Fit's like a glove, and used a home made link loom to revert back to standard easily.

2 - Just fitted my tweeters behind the side air vents for stealth. Easy to do, though overall sound quality may be debatable amongst the audiophiles.

Wiring:

1 - Made a new loom for my Mi16. The benefits being that it's all brand new, it's all thinwall so weighs less than OE, no more crappy brown plugs for the sensor loom, and replaced the OE JT plugs with JPT plugs throughout. I can't recommend the JPT plugs enough. For those not in the know, they are quick release. So whereas normally if you wanted to undo your AFM or TPS or something, you have to dig the annoying retaining clip off with a screwdriver, with the JPTs you just squeeze the plug and remove it. Only downside being that they are a little more tricky to back probe if you need to do some fault finding.

2 - I also added a 2nd starter solenoid wire to my loom which exits near the battery and has a covered end. If I ever get any starter problems, I can pop the end off of this wire and touch it straight to the battery positive pole to try and get it going.

3 - I'd love to re-route my engine loom through the bulkhead on the passenger side (tidier, and away from the exhaust) and use some of those marine spec connectors that fit either side of the bulkhead, allowing quick release disconnection of the loom. Connector and grommet all in one!

4 - Low oil pressure warning buzzer ( :P ) for Mi16 owners. Lights are fine if you are observant enough, but I reckon a buzzer would be better. Thing is, I can't get my head around how I could make it work. I mean I have an idea how it could be wired in, but it would be buzzing every time you turned on the ignition and before you start the engine.

Random:

1 - I had thoughts about pikeying up a filter to fit inside the air inlet for the interior blower (where it enters under the scuttle panel), but apparently there is actually a filter specifically for this application!

2 - I've got a Citroen ZX green illuminated clock, to match my BX 16v dials (and no I'm not a recent convert, as per the sudden trend :P , I've had them since I butchered a BX 8 years ago), but neither are fitted yet :blush: I pondered a while back how one could actually convert all the interior illumination to get rid of all the amber. I think it would need some custom moulding with clear plastic though. The heater dials use amber plastic inserts that have a bit of a complex shape to them, so they need to be done away with and clear plastic moulds inserted, then one could use LEDs of any colour behind them. I guess a similar process probably applies to the buttons (hazard, fog etc) but I haven't looked at these.

3 - I want to replace my CL motors with some from a more modern high quality vehicle, so that they sound less 'croaky'. Someone on here did this with some Astra motors a while back.

4 - Boot illumination is crap, so I thought about cutting an identical hole in the drivers side trim and fitting another (matching) light in that side, and then using LED bulbs. Could even take this further by fitting discreet LED strip lights along the back edge of the boot floor or under parcel shelf.

5 - On the subject of the boot, such a simple mod (if you want to call it that) is simply trimming the rear edge (where the catch is) with matching carpet really makes it look so much better. Also using a carpet trimmed thin MDF sheet cut to shape in the boot floor looks much better than the OE rubber mat.

6 - If security is your thing, what about splicing in to the fuel pump wiring and fitting a switch in the rear drivers side ashtray. Easy to reach, easy to wire in, and an unlikely place (IMO) to look if you are a TWOCer.

7 - Lights on warning buzzer. Yes, I know they are standard on later cars, but mine doesn't have one so I really need to get around to wiring one in (if I ever get to the stage where it becomes a daily driver)

8 - 405 door handles. Not suitable for the OE look, but for a more modified 205 replacing the standard door handles with 405 ones gives a much more smooth look as they are flush. I've only ever seen one example of this over 10 years ago. Not sure if they are a straight swap or if you need to actually cut and weld the 405 section in.

9 - Spare wheel bag. Good idea if you have a mint spare wheel that you want to preserve (if you are anal like that) or simply a convenience if you don't like to get dirty hands. The bag is waterproof and zipped and has a fabric handle on one side. You get a flat tyre, simply drop the cage, reach under and grab the handle, yank the spare out from under the car, unzip it and pull out a lovely clean wheel (this is just an idea of mine by the way. I'm not sure if such a product actually exists).

10 - Boot nets. You can buy these off of eBay (genuine Pug too IIRC). Would be quite handy I reckon as I used to hate having my groceries bouncing all over the boot on the way back from the shops.

11 - Indicator relay. As mentioned before, some modern vehicles have indicators where you tap them and they indicate 3 times. I had this in the (piece of s*it) hire Polo I drove a while back. I thought it was a bit annoying at first but then they grew on me, and if all cars had them then you wouldn't get these muppets on the road who indicate once whilst pulling out to overtake (although they'd still be pulling out to overtake whilst indicating 3 times, so doesn't actually solve the problem :lol: ). But as gay as this might sound, what I really like is the sound of modern Citroen indicator relays (possibly in other cars too, but I've not driven many). The ones that make that 'tock tock tock' sound. They just sound reassuringly modern.

That's about all I can think of right now :blush:

Edited by GLPoomobile
  • Like 1

jackherer
3 - Upgrading the headlight loom so higher wattage bulbs can be used. Although simply renewing the wiring will inevitably improve things anyway.

A blue plug on the fuseboard melts before any wiring. There is the stalk to think of to. Relays are the solution, as long as they get good power and earth connections the original wiring and switch will be far more reliable with just a few milliamps going through them to energise the relay.

GLPoomobile
A blue plug on the fuseboard melts before any wiring. There is the stalk to think of to. Relays are the solution, as long as they get good power and earth connections the original wiring and switch will be far more reliable with just a few milliamps going through them to energise the relay.

Yes, totally agree. I was a bit misleading in my brevity :)

Daviewonder

Wow GLP you've certainly given a lot of thought to modernising the good old 205, loads of great ideas for me to poach :)

With the low oil pressure warning buzzer I guess you would only want in to work when the engine is running so maybe you could connect a relay to the alternator warning light wiring that is "open" when the light is on but "closes" when the engine is running and the light goes off creating a circuit to be used if the oil pressure switch "switches" due to low oil pressure.

(I think that makes sence)

Also I made some homemade heated windscreen washers by wrapping several feet of copper brake pipe in and out of the exhaust manifold, it worked great accept when the manifold got really hot it caused the water in the pipe to boil and squirt out of the washers :)