• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jrod

Uh Oh...

taylorspug

Well, ive always done them up to that (or whatever it says in Autodata/Haynes) and ive never personally had any issues like that. In fact thinking about it, is it worth checking the threaded spigot that the tensioner locates onto, to make sure the thread isnt clogged or damaged? May be worth running a tap down it at least?

Jrod

It felt totally fine putting the bolt back in but we'll see. I think I'm just unlucky.

DrSarty
It felt totally fine putting the bolt back in but we'll see. I think I'm just unlucky.

Are you going to tell us what happened then, and what the actual damage is that produced zero compression on all 4 cylinders?

No pride on here mate. :o

Tom Fenton

The proper Peugeot cambelt tensioner bolt now does come with a hex head, but it also has a fairly big captive belville washer to stop the bolt coming undone. They are not expensive and worth getting the proper thing IMO.

DrSarty
The proper Peugeot cambelt tensioner bolt now does come with a hex head, but it also has a fairly big captive belville washer to stop the bolt coming undone. They are not expensive and worth getting the proper thing IMO.

That's useful to know. Is it the same part number TF? And what is the part no. please?

Jrod
Are you going to tell us what happened then, and what the actual damage is that produced zero compression on all 4 cylinders?

No pride on here mate. :o

No idea yet, head is still on. I will of course post once I know.

If anyone has the part number then it would be appreciated as it will be being taken apart on thursday and I'd like to get it back together soon after! :o

Tom Fenton

No idea, I went to the Peugeot dealer and ordered them.

Anthony

In the past I've just ordered whatever was listed on the Parts CD and it's always been the replacement 13mm hex-head bolt that's come, rather than the original 6mm cap-head one. Haven't got the Parts CD to hand to check, but it's listed as part number 692378 on Servicebox, which should be correct - they're supplied individually so you need to order two, obviously.

Jrod

Head is off and it would seem all 8 exhaust valves are bent, contact has been made by all of them.

engine007.jpg

Slightly off topic now but on one cylinder in particular you can see a build up on the valve, any idea of the cause?

engine011y.jpg

Edited by Jrod

Anthony

Errrr.... looks more like the exhaust valves that have hit to me?

Jrod

thats what i meant! :D

Galifrey
Errrr.... looks more like the exhaust valves that have hit to me?

Yeah they are deffo exhaust valves unless it is some new weird X-flow design

How do the pistons look?

Jrod

Very light marks but fine.

Galifrey

So 8 valves to replace, opportunity for a decoke I guess.

Could have been much worse, but a pain all the same

:angry:

Jrod
So 8 valves to replace, opportunity for a decoke I guess.

Could have been much worse, but a pain all the same

:angry:

I've done about 300 miles in this car since i've had it...

Jrod

Picked up the bolts today and they are the later type with the captive washer. 75 p each :-)

DrSarty
Picked up the bolts today and they are the later type with the captive washer. 75 p each :-)

Part no. please.

And what's the gen then? Why did this happen and what exactly did happen? It looks like all of the exhaust valves clouted a piston somehow...

Edited by DrSarty

brumster

I can confirm 6923-78 gets you a pack of 10 of the new-style hex head timing bolts; got a pack here myself with the number still on them. Not sure if available individually; probably depends on the dealer - when I purchased I was told packs of 10 only but that's probably just because the dealer didn't want to fork out for stock :lol:

Galifrey
I've done about 300 miles in this car since i've had it...

:lol:

Well being the eternal optimist I am, at least when it goes back together, you can be confident it will be right this time.

Looks a bit oily inside, so may be a chance to change the stem seals as well?

taylorspug

Not good, but at least the damage is limited somewhat. Are you going to check the inlets too?

Jrod

Part number is 692378 as Anthony said on previous page. I was fine with ordering 2 as they already had them in stock.

I've no idea why it happened as I didn't build the engine, I literally just bought it! The bolt on the rear tensioner has come undone, this has then worked loosed and slipped teeth on the exhaust cam resulting in the contact you can see.

I'm going to replace the steam seals yes, even though I'd imagine they are new.

Not sure about checking inlets, the inlet cam was still timed up correctly and there is no marks from contact so they should be fine, saying that whilst its off it seems silly not to so we shall see.

Pistons are all fine, can just make out where contact took place but not dented.

Here is where we stand now:

img0068mf.jpg

Edited by Jrod

DrSarty

Would it be a good idea to lose the 'splitter' in the exhaust whilst you have the chance?

boombang

Are the valve shafts bent at all? Just check as my rebuilt Mi tapped, turned out to be a couple of distorted valve guides.

Galifrey
Not sure about checking inlets, the inlet cam was still timed up correctly and there is no marks from contact so they should be fine, saying that whilst its off it seems silly not to so we shall see.

Pistons are all fine, can just make out where contact took place but not dented.

Here is where we stand now:

img0068mf.jpg

Seems like the loose tensioner allowed the exhaust cam to jump a tooth and you were lucky then. Lucky being a relative term in this case.