• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jrod

Uh Oh...

Jrod

Seeing as I've entered Oxford autosolo in this car on the 11th I've decided to pull my finger out and try and sort it apap!

Took the cam cover off tonight and most of the lifters are hard or quite hard, there is however 2 which are very soft.

I took some videos and If people with experience would let me know whats normal I'd appreciate it. ;)

Solid lifter on the left, slight movement in right.

http://img24.imageshack.us/i/img0187.mp4/

Lots of movement on left, slight movement on right.

http://img24.imageshack.us/i/img0188.mp4/

2 are very soft, 10 are quite hard with little movment, 4 are solid.

DrSarty

I am no expert (as you know), but that second video IMO shows far, far too much movement in that lifter. Even the one in the first vid seems a bit too much.

I seem to remember PeterT telling me that there should be a maximum depression of about 0.5mm. However it is perhaps simpler and more correct to say there should be hardly any give at all, as with two of the other lifters in your (on the piss) videos. :P

My gut feeling tells me, that one with lots of give is most likely part of the noise problem.

Jrod

Well another weekend wasted working on cars but we have some progress.

Took all the followers out and ditched all that were soft. Cleaned and primed all the rest and after lots of faffing about with them its running again. I've only run it briefly in my garage at the moment as I'm saving putting all the cover on until tomorrow but initial impression is very good. Will see how its like once I've used it for a bit but this gets ride of any chance of bent valves/guides etc. :(

For those that care here is a few sound clips

Before

After

I did however manage to break the qhite plastic triangle-ish thing that goes between the head and Cap, if anyone has a spare I'd appreciate it.

Galifrey

Sounds much better, job well done I would say!

Jrod

Well to make me feel worse after driving it its back. I think this confirms a follower is faulty as its losing the oil that I put inside it. Will take the cam cover off a bit later when it cools down and see how many if any have gone soft then try replacing them.

This car is a nightmare honestly, the front right indicators stopped working now aswell. :lol::D:(

Edited by Jrod

Jrod

Cam cover is off and I think I've found the faulty followers. I'm not sure how exactly they are faulty but they have lost all the oil that as inside them and are very soft again like the ones in my video. Also have a few medium stiffness but the good news is there are less than before! I'm going to replace all soft and medium ones after cleaning and priming them. I had 19 spares but am down to about 10 now. The only problem is I'm not sure if the ones I'm putting in are any better and its alot of hassle to do and find out they arn't! :D

followers.jpg

When using a screwdriver to my ear its quite clear its coming from the back right hand side which would link to the soft ones.

BTW, If I stop posting I've killed myself.... seems like the easy way out atm! :lol:

Edited by Jrod

DrSarty

If you kill yourself, can I have all of your hydraulic tappets please?

:D

Jrod

Well I struggled to get the energy together to try yet again.

Cams out and replaced the 5 that were not hard with some more spares. Started it and it was tapping lightly but after running it for 5 minutes It actually got a bit worse, faded away then came back again. Will wait until I've driven it to see if its gone or not but that can wait until tomorrow.

If It doesnt stop tapping this time I will yet again take the cam cover off and see which if any are soft (assuming there could be 1 or more bad one in the 5 I put in) I am now considering buying brand new but @ £25 each I'm hoping its only 1. ;)

I'm getting good at it now as it only took me 2 hours, yesterday was alot more!

I hope this thread helps someone one day! :lol:

Jrod

I'm down to 1 follower being soft now, all the rest are hard.

I'm almost tempted to buy 1 brand new one just to get it over with! ;)

DrSarty

This is the route I will be going just to be sure. It doesn't have to be £25 each.

http://www.catcams.co.uk/acatalog/Citroen_...lowers.html#a35.

One thing I'm thinking is whether your head is lubricating properly. Are the oil bars working correctly and what about the head oil way filter, that little brown mesh basket that slots in head face side?

Beyond that, are you absolutely sure there are no bent valves or issues with valve guides?

Jrod
This is the route I will be going just to be sure. It doesn't have to be £25 each.

http://www.catcams.co.uk/acatalog/Citroen_...lowers.html#a35.

One thing I'm thinking is whether your head is lubricating properly. Are the oil bars working correctly and what about the head oil way filter, that little brown mesh basket that slots in head face side?

Beyond that, are you absolutely sure there are no bent valves or issues with valve guides?

Well when I changed all the followers Saturday the ones that are not pumping up now are in a different place, thus its not just a certain part of the head that could have a blocked oilway etc imo. When I remove the rocker there is lots of oil on the cam bearings etc so I'm pretty sure its sparaying about nicely.

I can't be 100% sure theres no bent valves/guides but when I primed them all and started it the other day it ran with no tapping for a fair while, I actually thought it was fixed then! Wasn't until the next day they had gone down and the tapping gradually got worse. Also the tapping now is ALOT quieter than when I first started trying to fix it.

As I say I only have 1 follower now thats not pumped up, I'm going to replace this today/ tomorrow and will update then but fingers crossed....

Jrod

Also are the cam cams ones any good then? I read aftermarket ones were rubbish?

If they are good then I'm actually very tempted.

Jrod

1 last update for the time being even though I feel like I'm just talking to myself now! :)

Start up from cold and theres a slight tap, 5-10 seconds later it fades away. It's then tap free 99% of the time but a very small tap sometimes when the oil is very hot. I'm considering swapping to 15W/50 as I think the 40 might be a bit thin when it gets very hot (only happens when really giving it some for a while) what do people think?

Edited by Jrod

DrSarty

You are talking to yourself.

Check the palms of your hands for hair too. :)

P.S. I know nothing of the quality of the Catcam replacement lifter sets, so would be very keen to hear myself.

Galifrey
1 last update for the time being even though I feel like I'm just talking to myself now! :)

Start up from cold and theres a slight tap, 5-10 seconds later it fades away. It's then tap free 99% of the time but a very small tap sometimes when the oil is very hot. I'm considering swapping to 15W/50 as I think the 40 might be a bit thin when it gets very hot (only happens when really giving it some for a while) what do people think?

For 8v models Peugeot state 15w-50 for sporty driving (not sure on Mi16) but I tend to use that grade for older engines just for the extra protection. Sure you will lose some power and cranking will be slightly worse cold, but keeping the engine protected rates higher in my book.

taylorspug

Are you using a genuine Peugeot filter? I may have asked that earlier in the thread... :)

Edited by taylorspug

Jrod

No its a halfrauds item, going to change this when I change the oil.

taylorspug

Id get that changed ASAP, ive had a tappy lifter MI and '6 lump go quiet before with just an oil and filter change, and the oil wasnt even that knackered...

Jrod

It's saturdays job. :lol: Am planning on using 15w/50, just not sure how much I will need as it's got a GTI6 sump.

After using it this week It only taps now when first started for a few seconds, a little bit longer if the oil is hot.

Edited by Jrod

taylorspug

Ive been using that Halfords 5w50 'motorsport' oil in my '6 lump. Seems to take near on the complete 5 litres with my Mocal. Its stood up to the abuse well too, always high rev punishment and a ring trip, not bad for £25 with a trade card. Christ knows whats actually in it other than run of the mill oil, but as i say, its lasting better than 10w40 does.

leon 1.9

Don't know how much you all know on this, but there's plenty of information from the guy known as 'oilman' on here from opieoils. The 5w oil will be thinner than a 10w at higher temps, but the 50 part means its thicker than a 40 when cool. Obviously a 15w will be thicker than a 10w when hot.

Do you know what oil is in it? Its possible it has a 5w40 or something in it, which will make it thinner & a little more tappy, or even a 5w30 (used by lots of Ford engines). The API and ACEA ratings potentially could also make a difference.

Galifrey
Don't know how much you all know on this, but there's plenty of information from the guy known as 'oilman' on here from opieoils. The 5w oil will be thinner than a 10w at higher temps, but the 50 part means its thicker than a 40 when cool. Obviously a 15w will be thicker than a 10w when hot.

Do you know what oil is in it? Its possible it has a 5w40 or something in it, which will make it thinner & a little more tappy, or even a 5w30 (used by lots of Ford engines). The API and ACEA ratings potentially could also make a difference.

Actually the 50 will be thicker at high temps than the 40 and the 5w will be thinner at low temps (w)inter than the 10w.

You got your numbers back to front.

leon 1.9
Actually the 50 will be thicker at high temps than the 40 and the 5w will be thinner at low temps (w)inter than the 10w.

You got your numbers back to front.

Sorry you're right. It's been way too long. God I feel a d*ck now :P

kyepan

Was going to say, when mine get's tappety on startup i know the oil is due a change.

i use 15_40 semi synthetic.

Jrod

The oils only about 1600 miles old.

Phoned Pug and they only have a motaquip item in stock, I'm guessing the quality of this is fine?