• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[trackday_prep] Cameron's Mi16 / Gti6 Hybrid

Cameron

As promised, I finished the fuel lines today. :P

Was a little bit fiddle working around all the wiring etc, and I wasn't quite sure how much BFI these fittings need when tightening so I just went to QT on my spanners. They're only silly little aluminium threads after all, and at £20 per fitting I didn't want to ruin any!

DSC01483.jpg

DSC01484.jpg

Was thinking about getting the engine back in, but I'm going to leave that for a later date as qualifying is on soon. :P

Iain-gti

expensive tyre aswell, you know are where that sells them for reasonable price? Cheers

Cameron

I got mine from Demon Tweeks, mentioned Camskill to them and they knocked them down from about £130 to £107 each. :P

edbar

Looking noice! Waiting with intent to see those ap's and how they perform. Also how much lighter they are than whats on your car at the mo.

Cameron

The AP's are saving me about 2kg per corner I think. :P

edbar

Worthwhile saving then. Would be interesting to see the differance in weight for those and an ap four pot? Could you p.m me a price for a pair of new and used.

Cameron

More progress today, been having a nice leisurely afternoon putting my engine back in. Nothing massively interesting, just popped it back in then plumbed and connected everything back up.

DSC01495.jpg

Then finished my fuel lines off after nipping over to Halfords to get some more jubilee clips.

DSC01496.jpg

It's a much much nicer job than the old rubber fuel lines, and should give me peace of mind now!

I also got a little bit of protective hose wrap from uni to cover the fuel lines above the exhaust system.

DSC01498.jpg

So after that I ummed and erred for a bit as to whether I could be bothered to try and get it running, and finally decided to go for it and fitted the rest of the exhaust, checked the fluids and fired it up. :(

So all that's left now is my brake parts, which have now taken 6 weeks, twice as long as they quoted! I phoned BG Developments again today after them promising to have them done on Tuesday, and they said the bloke was just starting them so they should be shipping them to me early next week. So I'll be calling them on Tuesday and chasing it up, really not happy about it!

Cameron

YES!! BG Developments have FINALLY finished my brake bells and brackets, only 6 weeks after they promised to have them done by! :)

They have promised they will be with me by 12 tomorrow, but if their performance so far is anything to go by they'll be here in about 2 weeks.

Cameron

ALRIIIIIIIGHT!! The day I have been waiting for for 9 weeks finally came today, and I have my brake parts! <_<

First though, a hefty dose of massive disappointment. The parts had been hard anodized grey, not gold, and they had drilled the rotor mounting holes 6mm, not 0.25", and the countersunk mounting holes 0.25", not 6mm! But rather than wait another 3 months for them to fix the problems I just made do and drilled the holes to the right size myself.

IMG_0831.jpg

IMG_0832.jpg

IMG_0834.jpg

So I got to work attaching the rotors to the bells with my AP fitting kits, and they look very nice. :o

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0836.jpg

Then sourced some suitable 12.9 grade caphead screws and attached the callipers to the brackets and bolted the whole lot to the car.

IMG_0837.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

I had a bit of a clash between the rotor and balljoint on lock though, so I had to grind a little off the outside edge of the balljoint housing. Nothing major though, it (hopefully) shouldn't affect the integrity of the wishbone. With that sorted I put my wheels on and got it back on the floor!

IMG_0839.jpg

Just about got time to bleed the brakes, then it got too dark to work. Will pick up where I left off tomorrow and get it on the road! :P

mickie

very nice stoppers :o

Cameron

Yep! :o

Can't wait to try them out! Will also be the first time I use these wheels and tyres.

Cameron

Right, just been off the phone to a very helpful bloke at Torque of the Devil, and have a mapping session booked for tomorrow afternoon! :)

In other news, I've just taken it for a test drive and something went bang quite badly in my rear brakes! Now there is some hefty vibration through the brake pedal and handbrake, very worrying! I'm hoping it was just a stuck brake shoe and the vibration is just a bit of corrosion that will come off.. will see what happens.

Got to sort the tracking out and put the passenger seat back in then I'm pretty much set.

welshpug

fingers crossed a lining hasn't parted with a brake shoe :)

Cameron

Hopefully not! It feels like when your handbrake has been on for ages (which mine has) and you get a corroded ridge on your disc / drum. Will have a quick look after lunch. The vibration only happens when you apply the brakes or handbrake.

Batfink

relatively easy to take the hub off for a visual inspection ^_^

tut tut at leaving the handbrake on.

Cameron

I know.. but my driveway is on a slope and I didn't trust leaving it on stands without the handbrake. ^_^

BusEngineer

Bad news about the back brake problems

But those fronts are seriously sexy :)

Cameron

They sure are! :D

I'll get some good high quality photos up when I find my camera charger.

The rears aren't worrying me so much, I have a disc conversion ready to go on, just need new pads! :)

edbar

Brakes look AWESOME!

oli-pug

Good work my man, now get out and abuse the f'ing thing! B)

Cameron

Cheers! B)

Right, so after the WORST day of driving in my whole life I managed to get over to TOTD for my mapping session only an hour late. Serves me right for trying to get anywhere on the M25 on a Friday I guess!

Anyway, the guys at TOTD were very helpful and we had a good chat about Dave "Moody Bollocks" Walker and how I got the feeling he just couldn't be arsed when he was mapping my car. They told me that if he doesn't like a car he won't put any effort in, which figures! So I'm never going back to Emerald, the guys at TOTD did a much, much better job!

They started off by fixing my idling problem, and opened the throttle up slightly to remove the dependance on the IACV, which worked brilliantly. It was a major ballache though because my idle adjuster screw had shattered, so they tried about a billion methods of removing it none of which worked. Eventually they just put a blob of MIG weld on the end of the adjuster to open the throttle up! So I had a good idle, and they did some power runs. It made 160bhp on the first one, which shows how inaccurate Dave's rollers are! (was supposed to be 183bhp).

They did some tweaks and we decided to back off the cam overlap slightly as I believed that was the cause of all my problems. We backed the inlet off first and made another 7bhp! The exhaust didn't really affect it so we just put it back to how it was. So anyway, I have 167bhp on a super accurate set of rollers which I'm pretty chuffed about, just need to focus on getting my throttle bodies fitted. :lol:

Cameron

Oh, I forgot to mention, the diff has made a bloody awesome difference! I haven't had a decent chance to thrash it yet but it's so good being able to plant the throttle nice and early and have the front end just pull itself round instead of pushing wide!

I'm also running without a front ARB at the moment as an experiment, and it seems to be going pretty nicely. :lol:

Anthony
It made 160bhp on the first one, which shows how inaccurate Dave's rollers are! (was supposed to be 183bhp).

.... or shows that something has changed between the two dyno sessions, particularly given the amount of time between them,

Cameron

Nothing has changed though, or at least nothing I've noticed. The only mod engine wise was the removal of the heat wrap on the manifold. I can't say I've noticed any difference in performance from the last time I drove it, although I have been driving the Mondeo around the whole time! I guess the only way I'd know would be to put it back on Emerald's rollers, but I doubt I'll be doing that.

timstemi16
Been putting the head back together tonight but due to being in a hurry made a complete balls-up. I managed to get valve to valve contact when I gave the cams a test spin, when the cams jumped down the ramp they touched. I quickly looked round the other side and low and behold, 2 very slightly bent valves! :lol:

hi mate just wondered what you mean by this, do u mean one valve hit the other while you was spinning the cams by hand.

great car by the way

good work