• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[trackday_prep] Cameron's Mi16 / Gti6 Hybrid

Cameron

Basically when I was rotating the cams in the head by hand I had lost count of the amount I'd turned each one - I usually rotate each one through 90 deg then rotate the next one the same amount. I was in a hurry and rotated one too much then when it jumped down the ramp (in the cam profile) the valves touched slightly.

Cameron

Soooo.. A bit of an update, and also following on from the MOT game thread, I have done stuff!

First thing was to get the car ready for the MOT, which involved a whooole lot of work. The main jobs were fitting the GTi6 rear disc brakes to replace my knackered drums, fitting some steering lock reducers to the rack so my tyre didn't touch the gearbox any more, finding what was rubbing on my cambelt cover, and replacing some brake lines and handbrake cables!

The rear disc conversion went well, but as I went to bleed the last calliper the sodding nipple sheared off! So after a quick "urgent wanted" ad on here I met up with Tagy from here and got myself a calliper. From then on it all went very nicely. I tried to blast the horrible red calliper paint off the 306 rears but it's made of some pretty bloody tough stuff! In the end I gave up and just painted over the things! They look real nice now. :huh:

IMG_0863.jpg

While I was at it I replaced the rear solid lines and the handbrake cables.

After that I fitted the lock limiters, namely two jubilee clips, one for each side. I did both sides this time as it makes centring the rack for tracking a whole lot easier! Then had a look under my cam belt cover to find part of it had been rubbing on the edge of the belt, so quickly chopped it off.

So since then it has been MOT'd and failed (see MOT game thread) and I have had a little nibble at fixing some of the faults. First up I zip tied the brake lines out of the way, then I set about making a little bracket to hold my hazard and fog switches. I found some nice little sheets of carbon while we were tidying up the workshop so swiftly nabbed them and cut myself a little bracket. I think it looks pretty cool! :)

IMG_0862.jpg

It's secured with some Loctite rubberised super glue, which is some pretty awesome stuff! Bonds in seconds and is resistant to vibration, shocks and peeling. How resistant it is I guess we will see, but it's certainly pretty strong at the moment.

Tomorrow I'll sort the rest of the MOT failures then get it re-tested, then I can start packing for Germany!

Cameron

A little technical update for you, no pics this time though.

The brakes were absolutely unbelievable! Not only was there a big improvement in braking force, but they were so predictable and very easy to modulate. It actually took me quite a long time to get used to how much braking power I had, and found myself braking way too early for most of the corners, especially the ones after a fast section. It's pretty unusual how quickly the car sheds speed, especially after driving my lardy Mondeo!

We decided to be a bit geeky at the 'ring and borrow some very accurate temperature probes from the FS team, to measure things like tyre and brake temps. The front discs were generally between 110-130 degrees, with the rears being around 120. Compared to my mate's Corrado Storm which was seeing nearly 300 on the front! :rolleyes:

The tyres IMO are too hard, the medium compound gets good grip at temperature but there was quite a few places where I could feel the grip level wasn't the same as I'm used to. When the car came in the temps were good but they lacked the stickiness to the touch of the softs. My next set of A048 will definitely be soft compound again.

The diff has made a massive improvement, it's so nice to be able to get on the power early although I'm still getting used to it. The only other thing is the steering, which is now on a VTS rack. I'm really happy with the steering ratio, but it is very heavy! I used a bullet cam to shoot a video from the cockpit and it looks like I'm working the steering wheel quite a lot, but what was happening was I had to put in so much effort to steer that when the front end got light over bumps I'd accidentally add more lock, then when it came down again would weight up and straighten the wheel. It all looks very fancy, like I'm a hardened rally driver feeling for grip, but that isn't what was happening! <_< So hooking up my PAS will become a priority once I can afford it.

Anyway, in all the car felt like it had made a massive improvement since the last time it was on track. The limiting factor is definitely my inexperience now, so I'm very keen to start getting plenty of track days in before I start entering it for hillclimbs next year.

DrSarty

Good stuff Cam.

Bullet cam now please. :rolleyes:

Cameron

I'll upload the vid later tonight. :rolleyes:

joe1joe

so what class would you be in?

Cameron

Modified production I guess.

EdCherry

Ummm surely its up to you to make the tyres work rather than just changing the tyres and assuming your setup will work?

Is it just me or are you going ass about face.

Cameron

What are you talking about? The tyres work, they just don't have as much grip as the soft compound did. No amount of setup adjustment is going to replace the grip lost by switching compound, I cannay change the laws of physics.

swordfish210
I cannay change the laws of physics.

I can, i did it earlier ^_^

Edited by swordfish210

Baz

Where be all the pics at from the Ring Cam?? ^_^

Cameron

There were only 2 taken and neither are really that good, that's what you get for going on weekdays I guess!

Video is uploading now, taking it's sweet time!

Cameron

th_RingCam.jpg

Works out it would have been around 9.15-9.20 without the roadworks.

:lol:

Tom Fenton

How did you get away taking vid? I thought it was banned and properly frowned upon?

Cameron

Just had a small recorder mounted to the rear cross bar of the cage, nobody said anything. I thought it was timing equipment that you weren't allowed though, and video recording was ok.

Cameron

Well, you're right! - Camera ban!

I guess they either didn't spot my camera, or weren't too bothered as it was a quiet weekday evening.

TVH
The tyres IMO are too hard, the medium compound gets good grip at temperature but there was quite a few places where I could feel the grip level wasn't the same as I'm used to. When the car came in the temps were good but they lacked the stickiness to the touch of the softs. My next set of A048 will definitely be soft compound again.

How many laps (on normal 3-4km race track) you can drive before the soft compound overheats? Do they wear out too fast? I have currently medium compound and they seem to last forever (at least 200 laps) and can easily drive 15 laps without overheating and loosing grip. I've always wanted to try the softs but worried if they wear out in 10 laps...

Cameron

I'm not sure, but I could easily drive a lap of a 22km race track without them overheating or wearing excessively. I guess it comes down to your driving style more than anything, and whether you're a tyre shredder or not.

oli-pug

So what trackdays you got planned Cam? Would be good to get a load of members together for a day somewhere, thinking Oulton park next month if you're up for it!

Edited by oli-pug

Cameron

Well, I'd really like to do Brands sometime this year, Oulton would be good too. It's just a matter of having the cash now I'm the dip between uni and work.

oli-pug

Ok, i'll get some dates and see what you think. Brands is one I want to do badly as well tbh.

Car seems to go well in the vid, engine seems nice and free but not particularly enjoyable to drive with that steering :lol: I have a vts rack in the garage to fit to mine but may hold out until I have the pas kit now. How did you go about fitting the rack anyway, what's been done with the UJ link?

Cameron

Yeah Brands would be awesome!

There's one on 16th September here!

Or one at Oulton on 14th here!

Yeah it goes real well! The vid seems slower than normal as the camera is right in the back. The steering isn't that bad really, to be honest when I was driving I didn't notice it so much, it's only when I look back at the video that I realise how much effort it is! :rolleyes: But yeah, I'd definitely recommend fitting PAS.

Well luckily I have a custom steering column, so it was dead easy to fit. I just lopped the part that bolts to the rack off the VTS column and welded it to the bottom of one of my UJ's. Simples!

oli-pug

Think I'm going to book that Oulton date. That's the one I was looking at after having done a few trackdays with circuit days, they're bloody good free passengers and extra drivers too!

Can get a bit of discount off the £209 if you're on Northloop mate. Not sure how much will be knocked off till I ring them up though.

Looks like i'll be stuck with the comedy manual rack for a while yet, what PAS setup are you going for?

Cameron

Cool, yeah let me know how much the discount is and I'll sign up! Let me know if you book it and I'll review my finances. :rolleyes:

edbar

Seems a lovely car Cam, lovely balance on all areas!