• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Cameron

[trackday_prep] Cameron's Mi16 / Gti6 Hybrid

Cameron

Well, it was on offer from James if he went ZX so I assume it either won't fit or won't be set up right. Either way it was mine! :D

welshpug

hmmm, ZX-ness, great cars :D

Cameron

A little update, I swapped the tyres front to back again and it has brought the tracking straight back into line, and now feels more even turning in both directions, where before it seemed to take more lock to turn right than left.

I had a chat with my ex-boss when I went up to BTB the other day, and he said he had had a similar experience and its down to how the tyres are worn by the camber etc. So sticking well scrubbed tyres from 3deg negative camber to 1.5deg negative (tending positive under hard cornering / roll) meant that the rear contact patch was basically only the very edges of the tyres. So that would explain why it felt like I was driving through oil!

This ties in pretty well with what I saw when I changed the tyres, the ones that had been on the front (before the Germany swap) were scrubbed down more on the insides whereas the rears were scrubbed on the outer shoulder.

So fingers crossed for Germany now, got a little prep to do before then including making some hardwall fuel lines, a little bit of wiring, some plastic windows and a grinder, and some heat insulation.

DrSarty

This has made me realise even more Cam that most things in life - naturally here we're talking cars - are some form of compromise.

What I mean is, perhaps track cars really ought to be just that and trailered there. If you want to drive 'your' car there, then it means it'll be a less competitive track car IF it's been tempered down to suit the road as well.

A great set-up for the track may become dangerous (perhaps after tyre wear as you've mentioned) when the car's also used on the road.

I hope that makes sense. My main point being that I respect both sides even more now, because there is definitely a difference, and for me the gap is getting wider as I learn more. Your comments have been very useful.

Edited by DrSarty

Cameron

Yeah that's very true, if you want your track car to be 100% consistent every time you use it then the tyres must only touch the track surface and the trailer. It would be nice to trailer my car places, but then I think I'd also miss the drive there and back, especially when going to Germany.

But in this case it wasn't the road driving that caused the problem, it was swapping well scrubbed tyres front to back. If I had swapped them around in England before we went then I probably wouldn't have had any issues as they might have had a chance to wear in properly.

Anywho, they're swapped back now. Will probably be buying a new set of M or S compounds for the front (to replace the worn out SS A032's) before the next ring outing on the 10th. :)

James_R

I've got some adhesive heatsheilding stuff left over from doing my tunnel on the car is you want what's left :-)

Hmm 2 weeks now, best get cracking on getting mine sorted too :s

Cameron

:lol:

What stuff is it James? We've got some pretty nice stuff on our FS car, its only 2mm thick and really good heat reflective / insulation, but I have a feeling its quite expensive.

James_R

I'll show you next time you're over the w'hop, it's more like 5-6mm thick thick foil outer then fibre glass matt stuff then adhesive.

Cameron

Ah ok, I know the stuff. Yeah I'll have that off you. :)

Cameron

Well it's been a really long time and other than a little bit of mapping I've barely touched my car, so it's about time I started to do some stuff again. I was planning on saving my pennies (cough, student loan) and getting a set of AT throttle bodies but a recent thread on here rekindled my desire to have a go at fitting bike throttle bodies, and doing a proper job of it. To be honest I much prefer to make these things myself than have something pre-made and bolt-on, so this is all good. ;)

So a few weeks ago I bought a set of 2005 GSXR1000 bodies on eBay, which FINALLY arrived today! :)

DSC00764.jpg

DSC00765.jpg

And set about stripping all the bits I don't need off them.

DSC00766.jpg

To be left with the bits I need.

DSC00767.jpg

DSC00768.jpg

Here's some measurements if people are after them..

DSC00769.jpg

DSC00770.jpg

50mm tapering to 42mm, which should happily be enough for my state of tune.

So here's the plan then:

After doing a little homework, I'll be designing and making a manifold and airbox / plenum to fit the little beauties to my car. I'll probably be going for twin staged injectors, one set by the valves (standard place) and one set out in the runners or by the trumpet mouths in the airbox. This all depends on the length of the runners, and the distance from the throttles to the valves. All will be revealed, once I have an idea of what to do. :wacko:

hcmini1989

just read the whole thread .sh**y luck with the cam pulley .glad it all worked out for you .and f**k me you`ve got some good fabrication skills .hope to be as good as this one day .i start with good intentions but never seem to come out how i imagined :lol:

cant wait to see how you get on with the bike bodies .

brilliant car btw

Cameron

:angry: Cheers mate.

Throttle bodies will be relatively slow progress as I have to fit the work around uni, but I'll keep you posted.

edbar

Good work, bring on the noise then Cam!

Cameron

Alright so I've had a couple of spare hours this week and been modelling the TB's in CATIA so I can make sure I design a manifold that will fit nicely before ordering any bends or flanges. A bit of measuring with my digi calliper and I have this:

Untitled4.jpg

Untitled3.jpg

So then I took the inlet manifold off my 205 and measured it up and made a simple model that can be used to check packaging.

RSManifoldBasic.jpg

Then today I had a bit more spare time and made a cardboard model of the free space I have in the engine bay.

DSC00848.jpg

DSC00849.jpg

DSC00850.jpg

It shows pretty nicely the difficult area around the engine mount.

DSC00852.jpg

Then I made a CAD model of it to use as an envelope to design the manifold and airbox. I made an assembly with the standard manifold to check that everything was ok, and it seems to be pretty good. The runners poke out through the top but that's ok, there's a fair bit of room up there that isn't part of the model.

RSManifoldBasic2.jpg

Then I test fitted the manifold I had designed to check that it fits ok, looks pretty good.

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled.jpg

I also have a design for the flanges, which will be separate for each runner and 2 sets of the same flange design to keep things simple. I can send the drawings off to the laser cutter sometime soon then buy some aluminium bends to make the manifold. The airbox is going to be the most complicated thing, as I want to make it out of prepreg carbon fibre. But that's a way off at the moment.

welshpug

are they Keihin or Mikuni? my brother has a set of R1 bodies that are Keihin IIRC, they look quite similar, I thought the GSXR were individual not paired, certainly all the sets I remember being that were :)

Edited by welshpug

Paul_13

Good CAD skills, reminds me of Inventor I used to use at college :)

Will air be let in from the passenger side behind the headlight?

Cameron
are they Keihin or Mikuni? my brother has a set of R1 bodies that are Keihin IIRC, they look quite similar, I thought the GSXR were individual not paired, certainly all the sets I remember being that were :)

They're Keihin, from a 2005 GSXR1000.

Cheers Paul, yeah air is going to come in from the grille on the passenger side, that way I can keep my headlight. I'm not sure what to do filter-wise at the moment though, I can either have a panel filter in the airbox / plenum in front of the trumpets, or in a separate airbox if space is too tight. Will have to see!

davenport

K1, K2 and K3 gsxr1000 units were individual (like mine)... from 04 onwards i beleive ther were paired...

i have to admire your CAD skills.. thats some real effort there...

i know a friend of mine simply cut down a GTI6 inlet and then respaced some GSXR1300 (hayabusa) bodies and fitted them straight on to his S16 engined 205...

Cameron

Thanks. :ph34r: Yeah it does take some hours to do it, hence the slow progress.

I'm not in a hurry to get it running though, which is why I don't mind taking the time to design it all properly. Having some difficulty trying to work out the runner lengths though, as the TB's are tapered I'm not sure weather that increases or decreases the overall length. I'd imagine it's the latter.

DrSarty

And I have a request Cam.

I'm a fan of planning; but now I'm old, decrepid, working in Afghanistan and a realist, I see that planning is just a spring board for what actually smacks you in the face when you do it for real.

This is how we have large debates on here with 19 year old college whizz kids who know the theory for sure, and are brimming with enthusiasm and bright ideas, and we watch it slowly come down a few notches to something more realistic.

Anyway: my request is that you come clean and say exactly how this all comes together. What I mean is - and it is purely an observation - how much does your planning pay off and resemble exactly what the final outcome is?

To clarify further - and as I said I am a fan of planning - our plans are subject to the data/considerations we add in, and it's often the overlooked or unanticipated which jumps and up and bites us in the bollocks.

With your efforts here, I suspect it'll run perfectly and fit first time. I hope it does.

But I am asking here for you to remain true to the cause and honest, and say what didn't work and why it didn't work if that's the case. As an example, have you included the breather/vacuum pipes on the bodies? Will they foul on the bonnet and rip off when you open it? I'm not tempting fate, but I am intrigued on the whole planning versus reality thing.

Perhaps it's just a phase I'm going through?

:(