• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

mrfirepro

[Car_Restoration] My 1989 205 1.9 Gti Restoration Project

mrfirepro

Alex,

Well spotted, it's an E reg 1.9, was going to be the next project but it too far gone, just a donor now. Need to use the dash and rear loom for my car, plus whatever else I break along the way.

The last major task is to get the front and rear seats and steering wheel re-trimmed, then it's on with putting the interior back in and it'll all be done.

I have a (like new) parcel shelf but it's blue, any ideas how I can get it grey?

Edited by mrfirepro

ATK

Great stuff mate. Is the engine running well now?

What are your intentions once finished mate - will you be using it regularly or just for shows etc?

Parcel shelf - well on the 205 episode of Wheeler Dealers he sprayed the shelf with fabric spray, not sure if that would work though! Might work spraying it black though? But I assume a G plate needs a grey shelf so might not be an option.

Andy_C

Stunning - really can't wait to see this once it's finished. Real credit to your hard work mate.

dobboy

mrfire, my freind sent me this from the NEC car show.

Thought it might interest you

200qnia.jpg

mrfirepro

Been having a bit of a nightmare with the last rear quarter arch trim.

First of all they seemed to be too thick and try as I may I couldn't get the clips on without deforming the holes

This is a picture with the clip held in from the outside and the picture taken from the inside.

old one virtually flush

P1050377_666x500.jpg

new one, no where near flush

P1050378_666x500.jpg

so I get another new one to find the holes like this

P1050451_666x500.jpg

the problem with the above is there is nowhere for the cheeks of the clip to locate against.

Others look like this

P1050452_666x500.jpg

The reason for posting this is to ask if I'm missing anything because I have been told today that this is manufacturing tolerance and what Peugeot produce, and the trim in the first picture that was very think has been fitted to a car today quite quickly.

I am very frustrated with this as if it is me I'd like to hold my hands up and say fair cop, but I have tried for hours and hours to get these to fit.

I have also been giving the supplier quite a hard time (they were all unopened OE bags) and they have been very supportive back, but now I think they have had enough as they have now sold out but to be fair have offered me a full refund.

dobboy

No probs, you're welcome -_-

What's the horizontal line on your picture of the new trim running parallel with the slot (that looks like a stanley knife blade run)?

The line looks as though it would/should have been near the correct thickness of the trim during the moulding of it, and everything clip side of it is excess, stopping your clip getting flush with the body of the car?

farmer

Paul

Before I try and find another trim

Do you want me to send a NOS down to try?

mrfirepro

Farmer, that would be great.

well spotted Jack, what is strange is that this one is from an original unopened OE bag

Bit annoying as this is the only bit of trim that is left to replace.

mrfirepro

Wow, where's the time gone last update was early November.

My project photobucket archive is nearly at 5000 photos, all the photos from this update are here http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/mrfirepro/slideshow/205%20projects/4%20jan%2015

Doing the interior has been one of the most frustrating times with this project, virtually every bit of plastic was either cracked or broken and replacements where very hard to find, here's the story of the last 2 months

Some of you may remember we did a group buy on brand new red carpet, which I picked up in France.

P1050458_666x500.jpg

loose fitted

P1050464_666x500.jpg

The dash in the picture was taken from my donor car as each of the three dashes I had, had some degree of imperfection, either some considerate person had drilled holes in it or the mounting lugs were broken.

P1050470_666x500.jpg

clips for the carpet

P1050471_666x500.jpg

P1050473_375x500.jpg

Both my original door seals were FUBAR so got a set of NOS grey which Farmer manged to find for me in some far flung part of Europe..(thanks farmer)

P1050477_666x500.jpg

Sad I know but wanted to keep this box, as it seems as old as the car..cheesy.

P1050475_666x500.jpg

new door seals fitted

P1050479_666x500.jpg

P1050482_666x500.jpg

Next came the front interior, broken parts needing replacing were

Glovebox door

Glovebox frame

Central chassis

Dash Binnacle (Speno came up trumps here :D )

Clock surround

All air vents (all had holes drilled in them)

Steering column shroud

Drivers lower (cubby hole) section (still not found a replacement for this)

Lower fixing bracket (behind and below gear stick)

some photos

P1050484_375x500.jpg

P1050486_666x500.jpg

P1050487_666x500.jpg

Next came the doors...

Refurbished door cards, replaced all fixings and following a tip picked up at Pugfest last year used a sharpie marker to recolour the red strips

P1050501_666x500.jpg

P1050502_666x500.jpg

P1050503_666x500.jpg

P1050512_666x500.jpg

P1050506_666x500.jpg

Fitted the washer pipes with the OE clips (yes they really are that colour :lol: )

P1050507_666x500.jpg

Refurbished the doors upper weatherstrips

P1050514_666x500.jpg

P1050516_666x500.jpg

P1050517_666x500.jpg

Only issue with the first ones was the 3m strip was a little thin so on the other side I used a slightly thicker strip

P1050638_666x500.jpg

The only way I found to remove the old foam was using a small wire wheel on my Dremel with very light pressure

Got a brand new gear knob and fitted it with one of Rjuhar's reproduction tops from this thread http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=161658

P1050527_666x500.jpg

P1050566_666x500.jpg

more new bits

inner door seals

P1050552_666x500.jpg

P1050551_666x500.jpg

P1050550_666x500.jpg

P1050556_666x500.jpg

P1050558_666x500.jpg

Bonnet sealing strip

P1050554_666x500.jpg

P1050560_666x500.jpg

P1050562_375x500.jpg

Random pic of engine bay (sorry I couldn't help myself... :lol: )

P1050563_666x500.jpg

Also went to meet Scott Barton and pick up loads of left over stuff from his build as sadly his 205 is now gone (Thanks Scott)

Some time ago I changed the front pattern bumper for an OE one, luckily Farmer managed to locate a grey OE rear bumper so both the front and rears are now OE and they are very different from the pattern ones.

P1050640_666x500.jpg

P1050648_666x500.jpg

OE Bumper with ribbing around the fixing points

P1050658_666x500.jpg

OE Bumper fitted

P1050664_666x500.jpg

Replaced door switches as rubber had perished on old ones

P1050666_666x500.jpg

Putting it all down like this it's hard to see how the above has taken 8 weeks...well it is cold in my garage...

Not really a lot left in this project.

The single biggest item left to do is to find a trimmer who can refurbish the front and rear seats (any recommendations welcome), then it'll be done, just hope I'm still not saying the same thing next new year.

Happy new year to you all and thanks for keeping up with my innate ramblings.

farmer

looks impressive and well worth the investment

james_pug

This is looking great! I should have one of these if your still after one?

​Drivers lower (cubby hole) section (still not found a replacement for this)

Andy_C

Labour of love there mate. I assume you're working inside with your shoes off? I'd be s****ing myself over dirtying that carpet!!

ATK

Amazing Paul. Will you be driving this regularly do you think?

mrfirepro

Amazing Paul. Will you be driving this regularly do you think?

Drive it....god no, I'd be scared of getting it dirty... :lol:

Labour of love there mate. I assume you're working inside with your shoes off? I'd be s****ing myself over dirtying that carpet!!

Bit like a scene out of CSI........

This is looking great! I should have one of these if your still after one?

​Drivers lower (cubby hole) section (still not found a replacement for this)

That would be fantastic as I can't find one anywhere, is yours grey? PM me price and payment details, perhaps I'll pop down and collect it...

looks impressive and well worth the investment

Couldn't do it without the parts you find for me.... :) . Don't think it'll ever be worth whats been spent on it but I have really enjoyed doing it and I've learnt soooo much...more cheese

farmer

Enjoy it.

Won't be many following in your footsteps, the parts will probably come to the end at the end of this year, unless things change it will be over.

Be time to log into the 106 forum lol.

• Like 1

mrfirepro

firstly thanks to James_pug for coming up with a lower cubby hole trim piece.

as usual all the photos for this update are here http://s1238.photobucket.com/user/mrfirepro/slideshow/205%20projects/16%20jan%2015

Since the start of this project I have always wanted an original Clarion radio, having missed out on at least 6 or 7 on eBay due to silly prices and just not being around at the end of the auction, I finally ended up with two at very reasonable prices.

However the state of the radio was very much reflected in the price and only one came with a code.

Both needed buttons resprayed, following others I used this to paint the buttons

P1050743_666x500.jpg

P1050744_666x500.jpg

The front panel is held on with two small screws at each end and a single clip top and bottom, which allows access to the buttons.

P1050754_666x500.jpg

The next issue was that one of the radios was missing the pug orange/red connector, to remedy this I had an ISO to Pug adapter like this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEUGEOT-106-1991-TO-1996-CD-STEREO-ISO-WIRING-LOOM-HARNESS-LEAD-PLUG-PC2-06-4-/360803581571?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item540191be83

I cut the end off and soldered the pug connector onto the flying leads from the clarion with a little (well a lot actually) help from folk on here.

this is what it looked like originally

P1050678_666x500.jpg

If anyone else has to do this here's the final connections (these have worked)

P1050736_666x500.jpg

P1050739_666x500.jpg

P1050740_666x500.jpg

P1050741_666x500.jpg

I am not 100% sure that standard colours are used for the iso to pug connector (perhaps others can confirm) but if they are not the above photos will be of no help, so please check.

Next issue was to sort the radio code out on the one without a code. I prepared a spreadsheet with all combinations of 4 digit numbers, with the numbers 1-5....oh and a few beers to help me concentrate.....not looking forward to this task, I remembered from another thread that there is talk about the people wanting photos of the PCB to be able to assess the codes. I decided to put a known code PCB next to an unknown code PCB and see if I could spot any differences.

picture of known code PCB (look for solder joints at around 5 o;clock)

P1050731_666x500.jpg

the code for this one above was 2213, so I though it may be very obvious what the code was I just needed to read the solder joints on the PCB, so this was the unknown one, is life ever that simple?

P1050729_666x500.jpg

To cut a long story short, I still couldn't figure out the combination, apart from I was pretty sure there wasn't a 1 in it.

So I got to thinking if I re-soldered the joints to match the known code it may well work or it might just bugger the unit...oh well what the heck, so out came the soldering iron :o​ (not my strongest skill as you will see)

so I turned the above into this

P1050750_666x500.jpg

sorry it's a rubbish photo there is a piece of wire soldered in the top right link.

very nervously powered it up, expecting the universe to end, entered the code (2213) and blow me down it only went and worked :D​ . so now have two radios with the same code.

The next thing was to sort out the radio connector on the loom as there were clearly loose connections, these are the parts I used to renew the connection (thanks to a WP post)

P1050734_666x500.jpg

P1050742_666x500.jpg

so now I have toons.....The only issue I have is the radio plays from all 4 speakers but the cassette (for the younger readers you'll have to google "cassette" :lol:​ ) only plays through the left (N/S) channel, is this usual or is the tape player buggered, I can't test another cassette as I only have one.

now the saga of the radio was sorted I moved onto the boot side lining.

Thankfully Farmer kindly lent me an OE one to copy.

this is the OE one

P1050702_666x500.jpg

P1050703_666x500.jpg

I then made a template on a standard A1 sized sheet.

P1050706_666x500.jpg

I have scanned this and should anyone want a copy please drop me a PM. I have checked that when printed in A1 it is accurate, hence the V&H dims.

I then cut out a carpet for each side with all the slits in.

P1050705_666x500.jpg

I decided not to use the templates as the slots made it look a bit awkward and were massively too big, so I opted to cut a square, glue the two straight edges down and then glue the rest a bit at a time, this meant that I could make accurate holes and not rely on slots that didn't look good and I made the edge match, so the boot line can be cut accurately as it is not perfectly straight.

You will also have to cut a slot for the seatbelt to pass through, which was not present in the OE one.

I also decided to cut the tops different so that they could be trimmed when the rear trim was fitted, here are some photos.

P1050715_666x500.jpg

P1050716_666x500.jpg

P1050714_666x500.jpg

P1050721_666x500.jpg

I haven't cleaned the overspray off nor done the final trim in the above photos. I also never figured out why there would be a semi circular cut out on the original lining..

If I did this again (and I still might) I would use the template (without any cuts), then you won't need to trim it again as I may have to.

Finally after the saga of several brand new (still in OE bags, bought from a well known source) off side rear quarter trims, farmer provided one that fitted perfectly without any hassle, which meant that all my bumpers and trims were all new OE and more importantly now fully complete.

P1050723_666x500.jpg

That's it for now, hopefully next post will be the interior trim all complete, providing I don't break anymore parts.. :(​

Edited by mrfirepro
  • Like 2

lightflow

Excellent work on the radio and liners Paul. I can confirm that the cassette player should playback through both L and R channels. From the PU-9469A and the wiring available, there will also be no front to back fade on that setup (only left to right). Clarion do still do a repair service (they are in Cricklade not far from Swindon) and I spoke to someone on the phone there and they still may be able to repair them and have parts. They will only take deliveries by post however.

Failing that and if you are really motivated I do have a mint condition PU-9469A...

mrfirepro

Have not tried the second clarion yet, so will give that a go today and report back, I'll drop you a PM about the radio

ATK

Paul,

I had the same issue with my Clarion playing tapes - before you try anything else, run a tape head cleaner (cassette annd fluid) on it - usually it's the tape heads which are gunked up. Worked on mine perfectly!

mrfirepro

Thanks Alex, I'll give it a go.

mrfirepro

cleaned tape heads with isopropyl alcohol and cotton bud and I now have music from all 4 speakers....

• Like 1

Andy_C

Gets better & better Paul. Wouldn't mind a copy of that template for the rear 1/4 carpet pieces for mine if you have a sec!

mrfirepro

No problem, I think I have your email.

• Like 1