• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
djinuk

[engine_work] Project 205 8v To Gti6

gti-si

Blue looks like the PAS pressure sensor

Paul_13

I like the wheels, my mates got some 10" wide ones on his E30 bim-zimmer

djinuk

Well , as most of the engine side of things is complete i decided to take the plunge and begin attacking the bodywork..

First i removed the dash ready as i dont want to have to dodge this around spraying,

29012008779.jpg

Then i removed the door pins which had seen better days, cant wait to get these replaced and see if it looses the play.

29012008780.jpg

29012008781.jpg

Then i decided to begin preping the boot floor which has a fair few dints, im not to worried about it being perfect but i decided to fill some low spots and block it off.. Im by no means a bodywork guy but i like to learn so hey may aswell give it a go where the finish isnt a huge problem.

29012008782.jpg

29012008784.jpg

One thing that has worried me is towards the back of the roof i have 3 very small holes (not sure what caused this) its solid around the holes, question is how do i attack it, i dont think it can be welded due to roof warping, i cant get underneath is as there is a stenghting bar right in the way so thats not possible.

Advice & suggestions

29012008785.jpg

29012008785.jpg

Paul_13

Can you post some pics of the top radiator hose going into the thermo adapter please mate. I've used the 8v pipe but seems a bit twisted etc. Just want to see what route you've taken.

Cheers

djinuk

i cudnt find my 8v hose mate, so i used a random one i had lying around.. off a r5 gt turbo i think, not a very good fitment though .. you may need to cut a section off the 8v hose i think

djinuk

Well , i decided to go with a carbon fibre plate to cover my sunroof, firstly that would require a plate making up, a quick word with the mrs and she set about to it.., not bad for a girly girl eh :P

12022008789.jpg

off comes the run roof

12022008790.jpg

12022008792.jpg

12022008793.jpg

12022008797.jpg

and the template is ready to send off for cutting and making up into shape.. :), i had to continue it so far back as to cover up the holes left by the sunroof sliders at the back of the roof.

djinuk

change of plan.

and update

On sunday , me and a friend slaved in a scrapyard to cut off a 205 non sunroof , roof. It was strapped to my r5 to bring it home and we got some comical looks.

All the spot welds on my current r5 roof are going to be drilled and removed, as are the welds on this donor roof , then they will be swapped

roof1.jpg

rooof2.jpg

martyn180

DJ, is the glass on your sunroof ok, mines has a little scratch on it, so if you dont want it....

djinuk

hey martyn the glass seams ok however the an electric

update !!

I got the seast ive been after for sooo long, sparco evos.

evo2.jpg

evo3.jpg

evo1.jpg

Also i left my friend to tackling the alternator, he used a bracket from an old volvo and modified it to fit and got halfords shortest alternator belt, 30 mins later and its all on , bolted up perfect.

alt1.jpg

alt2.jpg

With regards to the fuel lines ive decided to run the proper gti6 fuel filter with the push on clips (easy to change) and move all risk of fuel leaks away from the bulkhead.

fuelclamp.jpg

fuelfilter.jpg

fuellines.jpg

Ive set the metal pipes right up the inside wing (will posibily heat and bend this to get them a bit straighter but you get the idea, its all super tight and working now :)

bigryrs

Hi mate nice project!! im in the middle of collecting all the bits i need for the conversion! il have to get a thread up as well lol

djinuk

yea man for sure it makes it easier in a way if you follow it in a thread yourself also.

oddball366

i like what your doing.. ive just brought a gti-6 engine for my 205. hoping on getting the conversion as clean as what youve done. looking forward to seeing the finished product.

djinuk

Another update, busy day.

Well ive not really ever painted out of a gun myself and i had two items, the battery tray and front slam panel, neither were in great condition and ideally could of done with powder coasting but instead i decided to use this time as some experiance for myself with spraying, worst case both items unbolt so can be redone.

I setup spray shop, and the equipment, the neighbours love me.

spraybooth.jpg

compressor.jpg

I then prepped both items to some degree, and gave them a panel wipe down, then on with quite a heavy layer of high build and left to dry, i then gave this a rub down with 400 grade.

prepped.jpg

highbuild.jpg

I then attacked both items again with the white 2k, i gave them 3 dry coats and then one heavy coat to try to get some shine on the items.

inwhitepaint.jpg

The finished article

finished2.jpg

finsihed1.jpg

im happy with it for my first attempt, no runs or issed spots etc, only thing ive noticed when looking real close is there is a form of micro blister all over both items, this is barely noticable in the white and certainly wont be when in the bay, but im thinking if this was black or a dark color it wouldnt be. Ive put this down to maybe water in the compressor or similar , however if anybody wants to give there view i would appreciate that.

Also i noticed after finishing i had some how made a pattern of a guy jumping the mood :)

14042008940.jpg

djinuk

just to point out, this is currently in the bodyshop having the new roof skin fitted :lol:

Rolando

is it hard to change the roof skin? i wouldnt mind getting rid of my sun roof lol

Jamal
Turned attention today towards the engine, stripped it down and gave the main block and oil cooler a lick of engine paint, its halfords gloss black stuff and i must say hats off , fast drying easy to apply and great coverage, spot on for £5 or so. Also i replaced copper washers for all the senders, fitted Sandys Tpiece adapted and fitted a genuine pug oil filter to the engine. Also whizzed of the cambelt cover to check condition, it all looks about new but ill be changing it anyway for piece of mind.

12112007553.jpg

Hi

What kind of oil press adapter You used? The one with 1/8 NPT thread? I see You used plumbers tape to seal it, this is why I'm thinking it's the NPT threaded one.

djinuk
is it hard to change the roof skin? i wouldnt mind getting rid of my sun roof lol

apparntly not , but its not somthing i dared do , therefore i cut a roof skin of a non sunroof in a scrapyard, then took it down to my bodyshop and paid £250 :blink:

djinuk

cars back from the bodyshop with a roof.

It appears to be spot welded in the original places and sleeved at the pillars.

I told him to leave all filler work etc and wait until the whole car is ready for prep and spray.

190820081182.jpg

190820081183.jpg

190820081184.jpg

190820081185.jpg

190820081186.jpg

djinuk

decided to tackle some of the 205 yestrday..

I sanded back small areas where the etch wasnt good and re-etched, and turned my attention to the worst part of the car, the end section of the rear quarter..

It was full of dents like somebody had given it a very good kicking.

sanded back

190320071439.jpg

then etched and a first coat of filler

190320071440.jpg

couple of other dents i began to attack,

190320071437.jpg

190320071436.jpg

whilst my friend put new rear brake lines in aswell as some braided fleixs

190320071438.jpg

djinuk

just wondering if a mod could move this to restoration section.

Brian M

Fantastic work mate, your attention to detail has been great to date. I'll be stopping by in future for a peek at your progress B)

djinuk

Well i uncovered the car after its been sat for a long time.. I was quite gutted, the engine was furry, and was covered in crap.. the engine bay has deteroiated however it should clean up..

So the project begins and i inttend to finish it.. Cage is due to the welded in next week..

I fixed the snapped bonnet hinge bolt, using a 13.6mm drill bit and a rivnut..

also began to get stopper on the car, soon be ready for high build.

120220071681.jpg

120220071680.jpg

120220071679.jpg

djinuk

long long awaited update..

I lost a lot of patience and time for the car , however today my welder james has been down to weld in the cage.. and i decided im going to hit it hard and get the inside done asap, then ill get it up to the bodyshop you blitz the outside. heres work so far.

280320071778.jpg

280320071777.jpg

280320071776.jpg

280320071775.jpg

280320071774.jpg

oddball366

Looking good. Got to keep a eye on this build. Keep it up.

djinuk

got the cage bolted in today, a job within itself , i need to grind a small area of weld back as its stopping me get just one of the bolts in , but other than that i think its about there.

I also need to just work on the sliders that join the front section to the back slightly but i dont think there far off.

IMG_0053-1.jpg

IMG_0052-1.jpg

IMG_0055-1.jpg

IMG_0050-1.jpg