• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Fox

[engine_work] My Project, Miami Blue Gti6-ish

SurGie
:):)

Fox

Whats up SurGie?

I picked up some Limited edition leather seats at the weekend, swapped the drivers bolster and they are like new, very happy!

100_3321.jpg

100_3320.jpg

taylorspug

Thats a good looking car! :lol:

Didnt you say you had a 1900 beam to go on to cure the warped drum? You could just swap the parts from a disk beam onto your drum one to sort the problem, aswell as drop it 20-30mm!

Also out of interest what did you do to cure the high rev misfire in the end?

SurGie
Nice job there mate, do you know if the de-cat pipe for a gti 6 would work in the 205 for the lamba senser?

where does the crank senser go once fitted?

Do you know the answer by any chance?

cheers... :lol:

(where did you get the red seat belts from, im planning on getting some)

Edited by SurGie

taylorspug

Crank sensor goes in the hole on top of the gearbox, just above the flywheel.

Fox

Sorry for not replying sooner, I sort of forgot about this!...

The 306 decat pipe... I'm not sure, have you got a photo?

The red belts are from my old 106 rallye, fit like a dream!

Fox
Also out of interest what did you do to cure the high rev misfire in the end?

I'm not sure, it sort of cleared it self

taylorspug

Oh, how very 'French' of it! :blink:

Fox
Oh, how very 'French' of it! :lol:

Indeed, It got better after plugging in the Lambda sensor, then cleared its self completely! Although, I noticed the plug had undone its self the other day, and its not been missing!

Anywho, best do an update on the car!

The 205 failed its MOT a few weeks ago, on a bottom arm ball joint and the horn not working.

I saw this as a great excuse to fit the 309 bottom arms I've had kicking round for the best part of a year, so I did.

Back to the MOT man, and I got a nice green ticket! Unfortunelty about ten minutes after getting the green light, it decided the 1.6 shafts were not long enough and broke one, making a right mess!

After been given 306 shafts instead of 309 ones by a local motor factor, the poorly little 205's been sat on axle stands with no shafts for the last three weeks.

Alhtough, I'm picking some proper shafts today and another little suprise! :wub:

Fox

Well, after a 400mile round trip, I've got come new bits!

Shafts - Image057-1.jpg

And, a nice 309 beam...

Image056-2.jpg

Just need to find a couple of hub nuts and a few flexi hoses and it should be moving again!

Fox

Right after a long weekend swearing and dragging my self around on the floor, its on!

And...

100_3343.jpg

100_3342.jpg

It was a bit low.

So I raised it a bit, still not 100% happy, might lower it back down 10-15mm...

gti-si

I'd RAISE 10mm from there mate. Looks good though, I much prefer the 309 beams, give it a really nice stance

Fox

Forgot to put the photo on! This is it after I raised it...

100_3346.jpg

Still has to settle I suppose, I set it to 315mm on the shocker :angry:

jimistdt

Just read the whole topic again,good read, well done :angry: . Have you driven with the 309 beam in anger yet?

Also in the picture your almost looking from ground level upwards, so the height may look at bit higher than it is, have you got a side on shot?

Fox

Only backed it into the garage jim, I'm waiting for a pair of beam mounts and need to sort the brakes at some point. I should be working on it tonight weather permitting so will get a side on shot then!

I know there is varying opinions on the 309 set up, but we'll have to wait and see what I think, I suppose it might be coming back off yet!

Cheers for the comments!

Edited by Fox

Fox

Another interesting find I forgot to mention!

After running around several motor factors for a pair of 1900 hub nuts (the castle nut ones) to no avail, even Peugeot had none in!

I ran up to a local engineering shop in Ripon, £1.30 a piece and I had some shiny nylock nuts!

They are perfect, the shaft just protrudes slightly through the nylock insert, and at a fraction of what Peugeot priced me!

Image059-1.jpg

Image058-1.jpg

Edited by Fox

Baz

Top work! Coming along nicely! :D

That beam was certainly a little too low as i said, it had chafed alot of the arch trim away on the car it was on before! :)

I should think it came apart ok though? -Judging by the look of it as we said i reckon it's been rebuilt at some point!

Fox

Yeah all nciely copper greased up Baz, all dropped apart quite nicely!

Heres some photos, def too high. Needs to be dropped about 30-40mm I think... Saying that, the front is TOO low at the moment

100_3352.jpg

100_3353.jpg

100_3354.jpg

100_3356.jpg

Whats this on the old beam?

100_3350.jpg

jimistdt

Thats the beam strap that goes along where the Heat shield lies above the exhaust, I think it's some sort of safety device but I don't think its really needed, I certainly didn't re-fit it when I swapped my beam with Graham on Tuesday.

The beam is a little too high, maybe 10mm up on front and 20mm down at the back would be better?

Lan

the strap helps support the petrol tank.

Anthony
Still has to settle I suppose, I set it to 315mm on the shocker :)

That's roughly standard ride height for a 309 beam, which is why it looks so high - you'll want something around 305mm to suit your car IMO.

Fox

I don’t think I'll refit the strap, 309's are happy enough without it. Although I think I'll stick the heat shield back on, just to be safe!

Anthony, will do! According to my basic maths, that should lower around 30mm from the current position? I've just checked the piece of wood I made as a dummy shock and it’s actually around 317mm between holes, not quite sure how I managed to cock up drilling two holes in a lump of wood, I probably should have double checked... I don’t suppose that extra 6mm will be helping!

Should get it back off tonight to make it easier to lower, and seeing as I'm still waiting for a few bushes and brake hoses I might treat the beam and boot floor to a lick of paint!

Anthony
Anthony, will do! According to my basic maths, that should lower around 30mm from the current position? I've just checked the piece of wood I made as a dummy shock and it’s actually around 317mm between holes, not quite sure how I managed to cock up drilling two holes in a lump of wood, I probably should have double checked... I don’t suppose that extra 6mm will be helping!

The 3:1 ratio isn't a hard and fast rule, but it's a good guideline.

305mm usually results in about a fingers gap between the top of the tyre and the arch, or about 15mm or so higher than it appears to be in the picture at the top of the page. If you regularly carry stuff in the boot or have back seat passengers, then fractionally higher at around 308mm might be a better starting point.