• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Fox

[engine_work] My Project, Miami Blue Gti6-ish

Super Josh

Nice one Fox :D we expect a full report on how she goes too :)

Josh

timb1046

you work pretty fast! looks great. loving the pics of her parked up, must be one of the shineyest 205s around!

Fox

Well, my idea of finishing the car over Christmas didn't go down too well with the other half, so there's still loads to do.

Should be able to get a good session in tonight and (hopefully) sort the engine mount and exhaust finally.

Its really annoying, I'm so close to finishing it but seem to have lost the get up and go now its just boring fiddley bits! Being back at work doesn't help either!

Still to do...

Weld bottom mount up

Weld exhaust

Refit headlight / fan wiring etc

Fix battery box

Cooling pipes - Still unsure what I'm going to do with the heater etc

Fill gearbox with oil

Rev counter loom

Fingers crossed I'll be driving it Wednesday, with a big smile on my face!

Fox

Well, had a good evening yesterday and welded up the mount and got the exhaust fitted properly. A 106 rallye mount, cut up fits into the 205 fork and makes it about 10mm longer, perfect for the job!

Also secured the battery box, although it'll be coming out to do the plumbing today!

Still intending to go to work in it tomorrow, need to sort out a small petrol leak first, never a good idea to have one of those! I've found a new 106 filter in my spares, so I think I'll use that!

Image307.jpg

Edited by Fox

Fox

Well, I didn't manage to make it into work in the GTI, still got a few bits and bobs to finish, and seem to have a coolant leak from somewhere.

On a plus note, It sounds awesome! I backed it out the garage and swung it round in the road, the exhaust note has become distinctly raspier, and the induction roar (even under no load) is fantastic!

Looks like it wont be on the road this year though, sadly I have been defeated!

More next year (do you like what I did there!)

Image312.jpg

Edited by Fox

Flix

You've got until midnight yet Fox. :o

Got my engine out yesterday, as soon as I get a few more bits together mine will be underway.

Fox

It lives!

Finally managed to stop all the coolant leaks and get it on the road!

And what can I say! Fantastic! Not ideal in these slippy road conditions, when you actually get grip it pulls like a train, so much torque compared to the 8v, and a noise to die for!

Got a few bits to iron out this weekend, mainly the lack of VSS and lambda sensor, also I need to adjust the Master cylinder location slightly as the pedals vibrate a little, but apart from that its great! Even with no VSS its smoother than the old 8v

Just need to sort the brakes now, they are truly shocking

I don't seem to have any dials working correctly, I'm fairly sure the water temp and stop light are the wrong way round, the STOP glows and gets brighter as the water heats up...

Fox

Mini update -

I've been to my mates scrappy and got a lambda sensor, its the same plug as the loom so saves cutting the wires etc, from a Saxo if you ever need one!

Image313.jpg

Looked for a speedo sender, but could only find one or the other, not one with the plug AND speedo drive. I might just stick an electric one on for now, and use my sat nav for a speedo... We'll see. Its a shame I let one go a few weeks ago on a 106 rallye box I had :lol:

Also I'm getting quite a lot of vibration through the pedals, I think i'll have to adjust the master cylinder/servo location slightly to stop it fouling the cam cover.

It seems to have a random idle, sometimes spot on, and other times it sits about 2k, and has a bit of a missfire at high revs although hopefully I'll cure these with the lambda sensor when I get round to welding it in.

Dan Ingram

Have you got the nut to weld on to the exhaust to put the lambda sensor in? I'm struggling to find one that fits the threads.

Dan Ingram

Good work Matt, Thanks :D

Flix

Have you found any senders Fox?

They should sort your gauges out.

Fox

Dan, I cut one off an old down pipe and welded it on, seemed to do the trick!

Flix, which ones do we need to swap? These are the three sensors from my 8v block (right is the gti6 guage one I believe), but I dont know which one did which, or what I need to swap!

100_3138.jpg

Also found a speed sensor, that made a nice difference! Its from a 106 Rallye if you need one, you need to swap the cog for the 205 one though

100_3135.jpg

Still got a missfire at high revs, I'm going to try and reset the ECU but i'm doubtfull it will cure it...

Edited by Fox

Fox

Hmm, it seems I forgot to update this!

I cured the missfire, and all is/was well apart from the crap cooling and lack of heater

Anywho, now i've got a new job and company car, the GTI is being stored in the garage during the back end of winter, no more snow and salt, whoop!

I decided to replace the front bumper, it fell apart when i dropped the 6 lump in, so i bought a replacement.

I also bought a new radiator, the old one was past its best and I thought I may as well, while I was on.

After I stripped the front end down, I thought I might as well paint the engine and bay up properly, my effort while doing the engine swap over chrimbo was rather quick, as I needed the car for work.

I also picked up a set of speedlines to get refurbed, I'm not a fan of the dark silver ones i've got on at the moment

So thats how it stands now, bare front end and gathering dust!

Mark205

Just read this topic from start to finish and it looks very good.

You work fast.

Love the picture of the miami next to the red rallye on the drive, (smart drive, is it yours). :wub:

Fox

Mark, sadly the drive is my dads, may become mine one day I suppose!

Anywho, a few (poor) photos, this is the state of it after the engine swap and a bit of nice salt and crap on the roads, note the special bolts to hold on the bumper!

Image341.jpg

And as now...

Image025-3.jpg

A few shiney bits

Image024-3.jpg

Image023-3.jpg

Just got a few more bits to tidy in the bay, and it should be going back together!

Edited by Fox

Fox

Been able to spend a few hours on this today, popped down to my mates scrappy and got a diesel twin fan and wiring, and a front cross member for a whopping £5!

100_3259.jpg

Also picked up a new radiator, although its metal not plastic like the old one... Still should be better though, the repair on the old one looks very poor to me!

New

100_3255.jpg

Old

100_3256.jpg

Repair

100_3257.jpg

Heres the modified engine mount bracket

100_3260.jpg

The cat also decided he likes the garage, and knocked everything off the rafters for me

100_3267.jpg

I also found these radiator rubber pads on the scrappy 205, never even knew these existed!

100_3269.jpg

Got a set of alloys to get blasted now, will be getting them done silver when I get time!

100_3254.jpg

And how it sits now, going back together, need to tidy that wiring and find some more silver paint!!!

100_3270.jpg

Edited by Fox

Fox

Well its back together, just waiting on a few bumper bits, and I still need to paint the new slam panel.

Took a few photos yesterday, shame the sun went in as soon as I started taking photos!

100_3308.jpg

100_3306.jpg

100_3304.jpg

Tom Fenton

Cat looks cool, car looks good too, although the pics make it look quite high at the back?

Fox
Cat looks cool, car looks good too, although the pics make it look quite high at the back?

Its really high at the back, It was high before I dropped the 6 lump in, now its nose diving!

The 1600 beam is only temporary until I find a cheap but useable 309 one, which could take some time!

Heres a photo from another angle to show how bad it is!

100_3311.jpg

I really must sort the suspension...

welshpug

I'd just drop it 20-25 from there and not bother with a 309 beam.

Fox
I'd just drop it 20-25 from there and not bother with a 309 beam.

Hmm, I fancy the rear disks aswell though. I've got what I think is a warped drum on this beam, and dont fancy paying out for a drum and the bearing swap if i'm swaping the lot anyway.

Might have a play at the weekend to see how much I want it lowering, as you say 20-25mm to match the front should do it!

SurGie

Nice job there mate, do you know if the de-cat pipe for a gti 6 would work in the 205 for the lamba senser?

where does the crank senser go once fitted?

hexhamstu

put that number plate back where its meant to be!!!

other that good job!

Fox
put that number plate back where its meant to be!!!

other that good job!

There's a reason for the number plate, I'm waiting for a slightly smaller one to fit in the recess on the bumper, only an inch narrower but should fit a bit better!