• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Fox

[engine_work] My Project, Miami Blue Gti6-ish

Fox

Well, I thought it was about time I started one of these! It might not be particularly pretty, and it probably won't be as exciting as others, but its here!

Right, About six months ago I was on the lookout for a 'cheap' runaround as we'd just signed up on a house and didn't have any money, that was the idea anyway.

While getting the girlfriends 106 Rallye MOT'd, I got chatting about 205's with the tester, who competes in a GTI in local road rallies and sprints, I mentioned I was on the look out for one as my cheap runaround. Just as it happened, he had one in his shed he'd picked up a few years ago, it was too good to break for spares, so it had been sat dormant, until he got around to doing something with it.

Anyway, about ten minutes later, there was a 1.6 J reg Miami Blue 205 GTI sat on my Dads drive, he wasn't particularly happy, neither was the girlfriend knowing the £300 'sofa fund' had gone, but I was over the moon!

100_2548.jpg

100_2550.jpg

100_2569.jpg

It was a cracking car, no sunroof, reasonably clean and tidy, even the drivers seat hadn't fallen apart like most 1.6's do. The only slight problem was the engine, I was told it ran like a bag of spanners but managed to blag a 1.9 engine along with the car to drop in! After finding a battery and turning the key, it started up first touch! Then started the drip oil and water out and clatter and bang...

So, out came the engine, and in went the new one.

Image029-2.jpg

Image018-1.jpg

And then it got a once over and got dropped off back for its MOT, which (unsurprisingly) it passed!

Image033-2.jpg

All was well, we moved into our new house, and the 205 had a nice little garage to sleep in, all particularly boring for the next six months, the 205 clocked up the miles, used a bit of oil but put a smile on my face every time I drove it!

100_2646.jpg

100_2640.jpg

Edited by Fox

Fox

After six months of generally being abused on a daily basis, the old 8v was showing signs of dying, oil pressure went from being in the middle of the dial, to the bottom, and I seemed to be topping it up an awful lot. I looked into rebuilding the 8v, but I'd only end up with a 'new' 8v engine, in my book its hardly worth forking out so much money, just to get it back to standard. So I bought this...

100_3085.jpg

And yesterday spent the day dropping the old engine amongst putting up bloody Christmas lights, got some room to play with now!

100_3084.jpg

Unfortunately, my nice big garage has gained some excess crap in the last six months, and its getting a bit tight now!

100_3087.jpg

So that's me up to date! Roll on this evenings entertainment, probably just tidying up the garage so I can physically get in to work on the car!

Plans are,

1. Tidy up the engine bay, again, and give it a lick of paint. I painted the rusty bits last time, but used Hammerite, and to be fair it looks crap

2. Test fit the 6 lump, and adjust the manifold and mount fork to get it fitting well, avoiding the MC

3. Attempt the wiring, scary!

4. Give the engine a service and clean up, new cambelt and water pump

5. Paint a few bits and pieces to make it look nice

6. Drop the rear beam and fit the 1.9 rear disks and callipers I picked up, finally get rid of the warped drum! And lower it 30mm to match the front

7. Get my stainless exhaust adapted to mate with the 6 manifold

8. Fit the 309 bottom arms, drive shafts and hubs

9. New front bumper

10. New radiator

11. Attempt the cooling pipework

12. Get it running and back on the road!

Finishing it seems a long while off, and stupidly the car is my only vehicle, so I'm nicking the GF's car and borrowing the works van as much as possible! I'm hoping its finished, well back on the road for early January, but I can see it taking longer than that!

Flix

Keep the updates coming, I'm starting mine in a couple of weeks.

I'm chopping the bulkhead though.

Like you I'm dreading the wiring.

GLPoomobile

So are you implying that you picked this 205 up for £300 or less? If so, that is one hell of a bargain for a solid J reg non sunny Miami!

Fox

Flix, will do, I'm sure we'll get to the bottom of the wiring, I've searched on here and have lots of conflicting infomation now, lol!

GLPoomobile, all in I paid £350, including the engine and a pair of bottom arms, he even delivered it for me! I was fairly chuffed with the price! I think he was glad to see it go to a good home instead of breaking it for spares for his rally car.

Saying that, I've probibly spent thousands at the garage over the last five years! It was about time I got something back! :)

Flix

I've printed all the info on the wiring I can find.

Giving it to my father-in-law to hopefully make up a proper wiring diagram.

I'll see how soon he can do it, maybe too late for you though.

SurGie

Iv looked for ages, never seen a miami blue with non sunroof, i didnt think they made any.

Good find.

hexhamstu

bloody good deal!

miamichris

good to see another miami project, keep it up! :)

Fox

Flix, can you send me the info?

Cheers for the comments, didnt realise it was that rare!

Flix

The only info I have Fox is threads on here.

I'm giving my Father-in-law, a retired electrician, all this and my Haynes.

Hopefully he'll come up with a proper diagram I can follow.

When he's done it I'll send a copy, then you can be the guinea pig. :(

Fox

Didn't get a great deal done last night, stripped the rest of the brackets and wiring out of the bay and started to clean up the small rust blemishes with a wire brush in the drill.

100_3095.jpg

I found a small patch of rust, Its only gone through one skin so I might get away with a bit of fibreglass paste, I'll clean off in the wheel arch first to make sure, before I crack out the welder.

100_3096.jpg

I also picked up a few new bits for the engine, cam belt, water pump, rev counter loom, thermostat adaptor, and my new horns!

100_3089.jpg

I found a nice sticker on the 6 Ecu though, I presume this means its unlocked!!

100_3094.jpg

Also, I dug out the engine loom, seems to be nice and oily, great...

100_3092.jpg

Anyone know what this little pipe does? Is it for some sort of gas recycling?

100_3090.jpg

Also while at work yesterday, Mr DHL man dropped off my new stainless exhaust, it appears I'm missing the front section, is it from a Cat 205? Not to worry anyway, it was only £70 from ebay, and the front pipe will need chopping anyway, and I cant weld stainless!

100_3088.jpg

Going to drop the subframe and finish cleaning the bay ready for a coat of paint tonight, its amazing how dirty and rusty some bits have gone in the last six months!

chris-stdt

Looks realy clean

Well done

Fox

Well, I got on with cleaning the bay up last night ready for painting, then decided I'd better test fit the engine before scratching the nice new paint!

Excuse the red primer!

100_3100.jpg

Ready to hoist up...

100_3102.jpg

The money shot!

100_3104.jpg

100_3105.jpg

100_3106.jpg

Looks like it fits quite will, shame I took the exhaust manifold and rear mount off so couldn't check them.

Almost a shame its got to come back out really!

I'll check the exhaust and mount tonight, then drop it back out for the painting and to fit up and clean the engine

Fox

Fitted the clutch and cam belt lastnight, and finshed the painting

100_3107.jpg

Also got an exhaust shot, and found a suitable mount to butcher

Image292.jpg

Edited by Fox

GLPoomobile

What downpipe is that? Never seen a 4-way split downpipe before, only a 2-way split one.

welshpug

standard gti6 steve, its a 4-1 stainless tubular arrangement as standard.

Fox, you CAN weld stainless if you've got a mig :unsure:

This is the EVAP solenoid and pipework, connects to the charcoal canister not commonly fitted to 205's, you can ditch this as long as you plug the port on the front of the throttle body.

100_3090.jpg

Fox

Thats good, I like ditching stuff!

Do I need special wire for stainless?

Managed to get the engine back in today, and roll it back so I can tidy up the garage!

100_3113.jpg

Fox

Getting there...

100_3133.jpg

vicious-monkey87

thats a gorgeous car mate, love the pics of it on the grass! i have a fetish for really clean 205's lol

Flix

Looking good Fox.

Fox

Well got it running today, no one told me it needs a crank sensor! lol!

A quick call to pug, £23 later and it fired up 1st touch.

Managed to shorten the exhaust, and get most of it back together

Just need another day tinkering and it should be up and running properly!

Flix

Well done mate, so the wiring wasn't that hard then.

M@tt

excellent work mate, you must be very pleased with your work. Wait until you take her for that first blast it'll leave a massive smile on your face :P

Fox

Wiring was a doddle, Its far easier than I'd imagine, there are some good notes on here too.

Hoping to get off work early today so I can take it for a spin!