• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Fox

[engine_work] My Project, Miami Blue Gti6-ish

taylorspug

I will confirm what Anthony is saying, 300-305mm will be about right for your car. Make sure you have good condition bumpstops though, you may even need uprated ones, i know i do otherwise the 'front' of the tyre clouts the edge of the 3/4 panel.

Fox

Got the car up nice and high and dropped the beam down again last night.

Stripped it all down again ready for paint...

100_3371.jpg

Boot floor will get a lick of paint too!

100_3360.jpg

Fox

Well, all was going well.

I took the ARB off and inspected the bearings and shafts, all was very good!

100_3374.jpg

I painted the beam -

100_3378.jpg

Put it back together complete with new Group N mounts -

100_3380.jpg

And got it back on the car, not a job to attempt by yourself, what a chew on!

Put the brakes on and sorted the hoses out, then...

Image072-2.jpg

Snap! Bloody things!

Looking for a replacement, took it to a garage today, who tried to remove it and failed.

Edited by Fox

welshpug

how badly did they fail?

if they haven't damaged the body too much there's a fair chance you can still save them.

I don't think you're too far from Rippthrough, I'm sure he said he has means of extracting broken nipples ^_^

Fox

It looks like this now,

100_3381.jpg

Will try Rippthrough, although there is a PH2 306 with rear disks in a scrappy local to me, I might pinch those, I think they are the 32mm piston ones.

welshpug

most likely to be so get the pair, doesn't look to bad there, probably salvageable with an M8 nipple maybe, definitely the cheaper option if its possible!

Fox

Got one from a phase 1 XSI, it had different callipers on both sides, this was what I picked up, cant complain for £10. (New on right)

100_3385.jpg

I don’t know it’s a phase 2 part, (I'm yet to measure the piston diameter) but the design is loads better, it has a nut, the nipple and hose undid nicely!

100_3386.jpg

100_3387.jpg

Edited by Fox

Fox

Got the brakes on and bled, and went for a quick spin! Feels more planted, and I now have brakes that work! Just need to get a pair of handbrake cables and i'm done!

welshpug

that's a repaired nipple, IIRC that's how most Wilwood calipers are made to get away from the problem of galvanic corrosion between the steel nipple and the alloy body.

did you check the diameter or the piston? just peel back the dust seal and measure its diameter where it emerges from the caliper body, the outer section is the same size regardless of the pistons diameter.

Fox

I checked the diameter, but didn't realise the above...

Fox

Been out for a blast today!

Very impressed so far, brakes are fantastic compared to the drums!

The back end feels nice, very nice and planted. Although it seems to roll slightly more when cornering hard... Must just be the difference in width, the shocks are the same? Unless my old back axle was siezed worse than I thought.

Image083-2.jpg

I've been playing with an old set of wheels, I dont like the dark ones so I'm going back to a nice shiny silver!

Sanded.

Image038-1.jpg

Primer

Image039-1.jpg

Shiny Silver!

Image040-3.jpg

Just three more to do!

Edited by Fox

Fox

Not done much recently, her car has been in and out of the garage for the last three months, so she's been using the 205! (I must be mad!)

Gave the engine bay a tidy earlier. Got this week off work so might get it cleaned up and take some nice photos

Also shortend the number plate down by 60mm to fit in the bumper recess.

100_3438.jpg

Fox

Went for a 150 mile round trip to the coast yesterday, car didn't miss a beat!

Went round Olivers Mount too!

GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

Fox

Well! Since last August the 205 has taken a back seat, and has been parked up in the garage.

I bought a 306 Rallye for the other half, and I have to admit, I really liked it!

100_3485.jpg

This was all well and good, until I slid on some ice and dediced to put it through a wall.

Image504.jpg

Now, the Rallye was a mess, not only had the front end been smashed and twisted, somehow I'd put the back end through the wall too

Anywho, I had to fire up the 205 again and use it while we sorted a new car!

And also, I've now got lots of bigger and better bits to bolt on!!

Edited by Fox

jimistdt

Ooh bugger! :) This going to be ready for Sunday then? <_<

CosKev

Excellent thread B)

Couple of questions:did you have to use the 8v temp sender to get gauge working in the end?????

Also how did you space/sort out your master cylinder clearance please??????

And an answer to a question asked by some one else,a 306 de-cat pipe will fit,but you need to get it re-angled to match manifold angle :o

Fox

CosKev, Oil pressure and temp are still not working, I will get round to it, honest!

I extended the bottom mount fork by about 10mm if I remember, and packed the servo out with a few washers.

Although, I'm not 100% happy with the brakes, they still use the 1600 'single line' front and back setup, it has a habit of locking a rear wheel under heavy braking