• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DamirGTI

[body_work] Floor...

DamirGTI

Ok so whats the reward for the top class trusty rusty 205 :D - iron oxide bowl , an special "from the bottom of the sea" fermented champagne and cap + T shirt with "King of the Rust" logo ! :blush:

Too late , theres no pulling back now anyway , my intention was (and it still is) to fix this up ...and i'm gonna proceed with this the rust busting odd job :ph34r:

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

DamirGTI

Made that floor panel today , and must say this was the hardest bit of the entire project so far B) ..

Floor panel dawning on the sheet steel (made this drawings according to the cardboard mockups which i've made earlier ..) :

IMG_8912.jpg

Final panel cut out , shaped a little bit , fitted inside and started with welding :

IMG_8913.jpg

IMG_8919.jpg

IMG_8921.jpg

IMG_8917.jpg

Damir :)

Edited by DamirGTI

marksorrento205

Goes to show anything can be fixed - nice job

DamirGTI

Wanted to finish up the welding around main chassis leg and floor stiffener today and luckily in the last moment i noticed that theres misalignment in between the holes on the floor stiffener and the ones on the subframe :D i tried to fit the bolts inside but the holes simply didn't match , holes on the subframe where roughly 2-3mm's out from the center .. so i tried to hammer out the stiffener but that didn't work ;) it did move a little bit but not enough ..

So , i didn't know what else can i do except to cut off this section of the stiffener :

IMG_8935.jpg

IMG_8936.jpg

.. then to align the holes on the stiffener piece with ones on the subframe , fitted the subframe bolts and tight them so that they hold the stiffener piece firmly in place and re-welded that section of stiffener back to the base (hope that this wont let loose/break :lol: ..) :

IMG_8937.jpg

... etch primer on top and job done :

IMG_8941.jpg

Damir

Edited by DamirGTI

SurGie

It looks a good weld, however wont that welding and much of the other welds on this car make the feel of it differant and

also weaken the chassis some what ???

DamirGTI

Well i dunno :) however it can't possibly get any worse than it was in the first place :D ..

Anyway i don't weld these patches in one go , rather than that i'm doing a lot of tack welds first and then i gradually start filling the gaps with short seam welding until i complete the whole area ... i'm bouncing from the one to the another corner of the panel - i do not weld all around in one direction , and i always make a short pause in between the welding for the metal to cool down a bit ..

I tend to weld thin metal (from 0.80 up to 1mm) in short pulses (with about a second between pulses..) to minimize heat distortion and blowing trough , and for thicker metal (from 1.5mm -> ) i'm doing continuous seam weld (sometimes also in pulse motion but moving the gun faster and with much shorter pause in between the triggering/pulses ..) :P

Damir :lol:

de Noir

My son! Plenty of spare time, you have. :)

DamirGTI

Yes in deedey ! :lol:

Need anything to mend while i'm in the mood ? :) i'm qualified odd jobber now as you can see 93.gif

Damir B)

DamirGTI

This might be interesting (as this thread is about rust fixing/removing/treating ..) , been reading an PDF doc. about rust preventive products , rust removing techniques etc. etc. .. look what i've found in between the rest of the text :

C/P

Beware of Mr. Rust

Some people have a reputation for rusting everything that they hold. These people have unique body oil. I don't know if it contains metal salts, high moisture content, or low pH. If you have guests in your shop, be careful about letting them handle good steel or tools. You might be the first to discover that Uncle Bert is one of those guys with a corrosive touch.

Corrosive touch !! happy0045-2.gif ... and so i come to the conclusion - previous owner of this my trusty rusty 205 was most certainly Mr. Bert himself :lol: damn those corrosive fingers !

DamirGTI

Few fresh pics of this the "odd job" project ...

Rusty crap on the side frame , luckily this is double layer part and just the top layer was rusty , so i cut out that rusty part off :

IMG_8705.jpg

IMG_8710.jpg

IMG_8711.jpg

.. cleaned up all around with an wire brush on a angle grinder , treated the bottom/inside layer with weld trough primer , made a patch panel , treated the surface at the back of the patch panel with weld trough primer an welded back to the base :

IMG_8960.jpg

IMG_8961.jpg

IMG_8967.jpg

(will add an light skim of filler on this patch to level out the surface later ..)

Further on , shaped and welded the floor panel on the top of the floor stiffener around the subframe mounting points :

IMG_8945.jpg

IMG_8957.jpg

DamirGTI

At the back , finished the rear part of the floor panel :

IMG_8971.jpg

IMG_8973.jpg

.. applied zinc primer on the welds :

IMG_8974.jpg

IMG_8979.jpg

Back to the exhaust tunnel area , made a few patches in order to blend the exh. tunnel and firewall panel with the floor :

IMG_8983.jpg

IMG_8985.jpg

IMG_8988.jpg

IMG_8991.jpg

.. zinc primer on top and that's enough for today me thinks :ph34r: :

IMG_8992.jpg

Edited by DamirGTI

jimistdt

I am staggered by your commitment and dedication to this 'odd-job' project. You are obviously very good at what you do. :)

Maybe you should have a new name 'Damir the Fortifier' :ph34r:

Edited by jimistdt

DamirGTI

Thanks ! B)

Well , in fact , this is my first major restoration project :) .. i've already fixed my other car , the black Ph2 one , and it was that one on which i've tried doing this bodywork repairs for the first time ..

But the black one was easy peasy job :ph34r: , was just some surface rust on the floor (yes was mainly the floor problem as well !!) so i cleaned that up , replaced/re-welded seat frame , repaired few little rusty holes and that was roughly all what was needed .. will add some pics of that black Ph2 project car when i finish with this red rocket Ph1 odd job B) ..

Cheers ! B)

Damir

DamirGTI

Update time ! :lol:

Finished with floor panel welding from underneath , applied zinc primer on the welds and seam sealer on top .. just need to paint the panel but will do that on the end when i finish all this welding bits on the shell ... well i couldn't take a picture of the floor panel from beneath cos theres not enough space to catch the whole area with my camera ..

Anyway , i proceeded further with welding seat mounting frames .

Rear seat mounting frame , or what's left from it :

IMG_9249.jpg

IMG_9250.jpg

.. cleaned it with an wire brush and soaked in the phosphoric acid over night in order to kill the rust particles ..

Front seat mounting frame , lower area was very rusty so i chop it off :

IMG_9259.jpg

.. mounting point/nut on the frame was ripped off so i chop off that segment as well and find some scrap piece of the old seat frame from my other Ph2 car (i virtually never throw anything away if i think that it might be useful in the future for something !) chop off the piece i was needed from this scrap Ph2 frame and welded on this one :

IMG_9260.jpg

IMG_9261.jpg

IMG_9263.jpg

IMG_9266.jpg

IMG_9268.jpg

Edited by DamirGTI

DamirGTI

After de-sanding operation of the insides of the sill area ! made an patch to close the sill , fitted in place with tack welds :

.. fully welded , grind off excess projecting welds and applied an light skim of filler :

IMG_9270.jpg

IMG_9274.jpg

IMG_9286.jpg

IMG_9291.jpg

Trial fitting of the seat rails :

IMG_9280.jpg

IMG_9284.jpg

DamirGTI

.. all seemed right so i proceed with the fully welding the front and the rear seat mounting frames onto the floor panel/inner sill :

IMG_9281.jpg

IMG_9283.jpg

IMG_9294.jpg

IMG_9301.jpg

IMG_9313.jpg

Again , there was some segments missing on this trusty rusty rail so i chop off the needed bits from the scrap Ph2 rail and welded them on :

IMG_9304.jpg

IMG_9305.jpg

IMG_9309.jpg

IMG_9310.jpg

IMG_9306.jpg

Edited by DamirGTI

DamirGTI

Sprayed zinc primer on top and that's it :

IMG_9317.jpg

IMG_9322.jpg

Damir :lol:

Alfie

Damir. You got my vote for being the most optomistic "modern" car restorer going! You're tenacity beggars belief mate!

Having carried out a full 'ground up' resto' of my '48 Morris 8 along similar lines, you have my full admiration! I HAD to do this sort of metalwork simply because panels aren't available because of the age of the car. You and you're never say die attitude is amazing. keep up the good work!

DamirGTI

Ta very much boys ! :) i'm doing my best with this job .. just few more bits and it'll be finished , the worst is behind me anyway so that's an relief :lol:

Damir

DamirGTI

A few new ones ... (i'm a little bit lazy with this pic post update stuff :) ..)

RH front wheel arch repaired :

IMG_9326.jpg

IMG_9335.jpg

IMG_9338.jpg

IMG_9340.jpg

IMG_9348.jpg

IMG_9353.jpg

Last piece of the floor panel puzzle :) :

IMG_9358.jpg

... seam sealed all around the corers on top of the welds and ready for painting :

IMG_9364.jpg

gazzamec

Christ!

Hats off to you

DamirGTI

... update :wacko:

LH front wheel arch repaired (few bits/patches on the firewall area where done on the start of this project from the inside of the shell ..) :

IMG_9366.jpg

IMG_9371.jpg

IMG_9376.jpg

IMG_9378.jpg

IMG_9379.jpg

IMG_9380.jpg

IMG_9381.jpg

... sprayed with zinc rich primer and all the welds/corners will be seam sealed prior to painting/applying stone chip coating

Edited by DamirGTI

DamirGTI

Floor , decided to chop this complete area off as it was a bit rusted (could clean it off and treat with rust converter but this was better solution ..) :

IMG_9384.jpg

IMG_9389.jpg

.. and off it goes the rusty bastard (will keep this one as an souvenir :wacko:) :

IMG_9388.jpg

.. fixed:

IMG_9391.jpg

IMG_9393.jpg

Initial coat of cellulose primer (treated the bare metal areas first with etch primer ..) applied onto the floor panel RH side and the LH repair patch :

IMG_9394.jpg

IMG_9395.jpg

DamirGTI

B pillar area joints

This the LH B-pillar to sill joint was a little bit suspicious as it was covered with body filler so i decided to look what's underneath :

IMG_9396.jpg

IMG_9397.jpg

... and i was right , was a bit crappy with burnt metal and poor welds :wacko: :

IMG_9404.jpg

IMG_9406.jpg

... decided to fully ground off the welds in order to inspect the sill area below the B-pillar joint :

IMG_9411.jpg

.. and yes , did found some rust there in between the panel joints , luckily was just surface rust so i cleaned it off and applied weld trough primer :

IMG_9419.jpg

IMG_9453.jpg

.. then i add some fresh metal in order to make the joint more stiff :

IMG_9454.jpg

IMG_9455.jpg

IMG_9462.jpg

Edited by DamirGTI