• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
DamirGTI

[body_work] Floor...

DamirGTI
well inpressed with all the work you have done on this.was having a bit of a argument with a mate today about welding and he says that you should not replace a ribbed floor with flat steel as it will lose strengh.i told him he was talking rubbish but he said that car makers would not rib a floor as flat would be cheeper to make,so maybe he has a point?

Well , dunno if the ribs have something to do with the strengh :lol: could be but if i understand this they have some "function" for directing the moisture/water off from the flat surface of the floor to the floor drain plugs (the big one at the back and the small one just in the middle ,as the ribs follow direction to the plugs on their ends) or they might be made that way so that during the production the hot galvanizing liquid can flow out from the shell after immersion in the bath , again , trough the floor plugs which are sealed after the galvanizing/painting :)

The bodywork people from here will solve the mystery for us :D it's possible to fabricate/copy an OE panel ribs with a piece of wood , chisel and loads of spare time ! , but I thought that it just doesn't worth the bother ...

Damir B)

Edited by DamirGTI

Cloverleaf

I would say that the ribs are their primarily for stiffness reasons, the more form you add to flat sheet the stiffer it becomes. They need to be reasonably stiff for climbing in and out of the car and to stop them vibrating at high speed.

I'm not sure how much stiffness they would add to the shell overall though.

Edit: great work though! :lol:

Edited by Cloverleaf

taylorspug

As said the ribs are there for strength. :lol:

DamirGTI

Ok , if you say so i believe you :) .. but one is for sure -> im not gonna re-do this again ! , anyway the floor panel is of thicker steel than OE floor material , lap welded all around from the top and the bottom , fully seam welded to the cassis rail , floor stiffener and inner sill so me thinks that it'll be fine :rolleyes:

Does anyone know how much strength these ribs are adding to the flat panel ?! :ph34r:

Damir B)

Tom Fenton

Your repair looks more than good enough, don't worry about it.

omega

damir i think your floor will be fine as its a good job,looks like im going to have to say sorry to my mate as he was right[dratt]

DamirGTI

Well we live and learn :rolleyes: but yes , im more than happy with the end result of this repair considering the state of the shell on the beginning :ph34r:

Damir :)

Roman

i think you doo a briliant yob.... many people write off car's for half much of repair :rolleyes: if all have that much patient and good will GTI-s last's forever... :ph34r:

taylorspug

Oh yes dont misunderstand, i wasnt saying what you had done wasnt good enough! It will be fine for your car, as said dont worry about it!

Was merely answering Omegas question. :)