• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

maxi

Little Poll For You All....

Which do you prefer, Mi16 or GTi6 powered 205??  

483 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Spiky

check the dates of your emails

check the SENT and RECEIVED times of the emails :D

Alastairh
What the fook is going on here? I'm seeing new replies to this topic but everytime I load the last page, the last reply I see is from Spiky at 0942 yesterday!

Someone new has voted, so it gets bumped up in the section :D

GLPoomobile

I thought it might be that AH. Sorry for the slight diversion!

I've followed with interest but don't have an opinion on this as I've no experience of the GTI6, and have barely clocked up any miles on the Mi, which was over 13 months ago too! T'was fun at the time though.

danpug

I'm getting confused! It says last post on this thread was today by GLP but the date on his last post is 26th september??!!

happygoron
Someone new has voted, so it gets bumped up in the section :lol:

danpug

Oops. Thanks for stating the obvious, lol!! :blush::lol:

jackherer

I don't understand how there can be 58 votes for the Mi16 and 40 votes for the GTi6 if there are 137 votes total, what did the other 39 people vote for?

Mi16 (XU9J4) 1905cc [ 58 ] ** [59.18%]

GTi6 (XU10J4RS) [ 40 ] ** [40.82%]

Total Votes: 137

welshpug

maybe 39 people voided their votes to see the results?

jackherer

You're probably correct but that doesn't make it right :lol:

dicky20014
its like girls, gti-6 youd take home to meet the parents (like a 306),

Put the sluty mi16 in the 205 and abuse the crap out of it where know one else sees, it loves it.

you know which one you want

I actually laughed my head off when I read that, so true! :blush:

danpug

Old thread! Since this thread i actually now own a gti6 205 (after owning a few mi16's, a couple of them definitely 'as they should be') and its brilliant imo. Pulls easily up to the limiter in every gear and its definitely as fun as an mi16, and a bit quicker too. Maybe its just a good engine or perhaps the 1.6 box is what does it but it really dosen't sound like some of the experiences people have posted on this thread.

John_B

I've never driven a Gti6 so can't really judge.

All I'll say is that after stripping the interior out of my car (an Mi) yesterday, the difference the decrease in weight makes really surprised me. Is that roughly the same as the weight penalty of a Gti6 over an Mi? Around 25kg?

Seems a big price to pay so I'd say Mi. I may feel differently if the surge gets me!

danpug

Yes its around that but the gti6 is without doubt quicker, once mine hits third it really starts to pull away from an mi16.

gti_al
Yes its around that but the gti6 is without doubt quicker, once mine hits third it really starts to pull away from an mi16.

I think it is impossible to make generalisations in relation to performance, as there are such large variations between cars. My old 405 had a strong engine, but my current mi16 is fresher, and definitely pulls harder

The gti6s seem particularly bad for this. Some are great, but some... aren't. It doesn't seem to relate to mileage either. Some just seem much more lively than others. The main thing is that you are happy with what you have now.

I got an mi16 because it was available, and cheap. If it was a gti6 i would have used that. They all do a similar thing, so i don't think it is getting too worked up over. I really like the strength and longevity of the mi16s though, with countless cars here having done 400 000kms+ (with basic servicing at best) and still feeling great. Mine had done 340000kms before its rebuild, and the liners and pistons were fine to use again! I don't think the same will apply to iron blocked engines, but i guess there are ways around that

I think anyone that blames surge for not using an alloy blocked mi16 is just short-sighted though. I don't know of anyone here that have done peter's extended pickup modifications and had trouble. A friend of mine uses his very hard around Phillip Island on slicks, and it has been fine. The sweepers there are very fast, so are a good test.

Edited by gti_al

danpug

Yes it does seem that the gti6's vary, hence why i'm a bit baffled by what some have said about them, perhaps this engine is just a very good one. Like i said though i have owned a couple of known very good mi16 engines and this particular gti6 is a fair bit quicker. I can't say i ever experienced oil surge either, no matter how hard i drove. Some engines don't seem to get it.

Batfink

you wouldnt really think there would be much of a difference between engines. Personally I had a good Mi16 so saw no point in upgrading to a gti6.

Now though i'd rather just mix and match parts to get the best of both worlds.

Kev

M@tt

having had both and using my 205 as a road car i can say i personally prefer the GTI6.

I found the MI16 pretty gutless low down and so found myself having to scream the knackers off it to get the most of it and i always felt like a bit of a try hard d*ck when i had to do that to overake some boring TD eurobox on any sort of an incline.

The added torque of the GTI6 low down certainly suits my driving style more and so i prefer that

welshpug

I haven't voted yet, as I have yet to experience a 1.9 Mi16 in any form, I've experienced a 2.0 and a gti6 on a 5 speed box, I think the gti6 is a quicket cross country engine but the Mi can still be up there when you take them up the revs.

Spiky
I haven't voted yet, as I have yet to experience a 1.9 Mi16 in any form, I've experienced a 2.0 and a gti6 on a 5 speed box, I think the gti6 is a quicket cross country engine but the Mi can still be up there when you take them up the revs.

have you read your reply? you are contradicting yours self?

first you say you have never experienced ANY mi16, yet you then say, it ill be up there if you take the revs up?

so your reply is VOID ,...... lol

welshpug

no, you haven't read it properly I said 1.9 MI16 :blush: I own a 2.0 in its purest forum :D

Edited by welshpug

Spiky

mi = mi16 in my eyes :D

which is what is being discussed here :blush:

danpug

I mis-read it as well! I expect a healthy 2.0 mi16 isn't far off a gti6 power-wise when in a 205.

welshpug

its not far off gti6 power in a 405 either :rolleyes:

BackStreetRacecars

can i say mi with a '6 head? it wont let me pick both... and there isnt a bit in the middle......

on that note...

Mi ftw.

done.

hexhamstu

after being in dans gti6 at llandow i would say they are both good engines, both with charachter and both with there downsides. so i would like to take my vote away from mi and go all hippyish and say both?