• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

maxi

Little Poll For You All....

Which do you prefer, Mi16 or GTi6 powered 205??  

483 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

maxi

It seems to me that recently the 205 community has dawned on a new era without even realising it. The GTi6 conversion seems to be THE favoured power upgrade, replacing the original golden 1.9 Mi16. I personally favour the mi any day of th week over the gti6 purely on grin factor to drive. What do you guys reckon?

This could be an interesting one.....

Maxi

Anthony

In paper, it should be the GTi-6 - more power, more torque, more tractable, more potential, and they don't need a mandatory rebuild like Mi's

But you know what, I still prefer Mi's as they've got character, beg to be driven hard, and somehow just seems to suit the whole 205 ethos better. All IMO of course.

maxi
In paper, it should be the GTi-6 - more power, more torque, more tractable, more potential, and they don't need a mandatory rebuild like Mi's

But you know what, I still prefer Mi's as they've got character and somehow just seems to suit a 205 better. IMO of course.

I couldnt have put it better myself. The mi16 has a "magic" about it. I love the way they like to come alive at 4000RPM and urge to the limiter, bouncing off it as if they were spitting that gear out and asking for another. The GTi6 lumps are charachterless, ok they rev like a 16v should but make max power before the limiter and struggle to rev up near the limiter.

Sometimes things add up on paper but not in spirit!

Maxi

Edited by maxi

Bonzai

ive only driven the GTi6 in a 306 so hard to compare directly, but i think the Mi is a fine engine and were it not for the expensive rebuilds requird before conversions, theyd still be king of the crop

Alastairh

A 'good' Mi is alot of fun. But harder to come by these days.

But i can agree Adam on the luxury of the wofting of the 6 engine. Mine was quick, or it was compared to other cars i came across. But it never had the kick in the balls like the Mi does at 4k because of the low down torque.

Either you can't go wrong with. Certinly better than them poxy 8 valves, aye Anthony? :)

Dam, you've made me want to go out in mine after sitting un used/abused for 10 days...

Edited by Alastairh

Baz

Tbh most '6s also need rebuilding these days anyway.

The lighter Mi's for me, loads more character, just so suited to the 205's delicate balanced chassis.

timmsy19

having never driven a 205 with a "6" engine

im going to have to say the Mi16 obveously. but i think when mine dies its going to be a hard decition on the next engine to go in

maxi
A 'good' Mi is alot of fun. But harder to come by these days.

But i can agree Adam on the luxury of the wofting of the 6 engine. Mine was quick, or it was compared to other cars i came across. But it never had the kick in the balls like the Mi does at 4k because of the low down torque.

Either you can't go wrong with. Certinly better than them poxy 8 valves, aye Anthony? :)

Dam, you've made me want to go out in mine after sitting un used/abused for 10 days...

Get out there and give it some stick!!!!! Did you ever go in the sla when it was a 1.9mi???? It was ridiculously powerbandy due to the shortened inlet manifold and downpipe setup but it would lick the limiter all day long. I used to have it spinning to the limiter in 2nd in the dry (with the aid of a big grab of the clutch). It was so much fun, more than the setup I have now to be honest!

Maxi

Matt Holley

I found the mi16 frustraiting on the road, always dropping down a gear to make it wake up and get a move on, I liked it on track though as I could keep it in the power band, but the oil surge was enough to make me take it out and replace with a gti6.

gti_al

On the right road i think the mi16s are better. Mine just seems to pull harder in its powerband than the 6 i drive... It is clearly lacking low down in comparison, but i don't really get down there when i am having fun anyway.

I found changing the inlet cam really woke the mi16 up though. Before it was definately a bit flat and lifeless

taylorspug

MI all the way for me. The GTI6 is a better engine for the way i use my car due to the oil surge issues, but on a backroad blast id rather have my old MI lump. With the repro cams it didnt have a great deal of go below 4k, but having to work the box gets you so much more involved in the drive. I can still hear it howling through the backlanes now, cracking the limiter in second out of tight corners... :)

Part of me wishes id just not bothered with the '6 lump and bought some management for the MI to get rid of the poxy AFM, then got it mapped with the cams. Would have made over 180hp all day long. Then i think of the open pit day at Brands im doing in November, and the death rattle it would almost certainly bring with it! :)

jonnie205

the mi is a nice period engine which is good and light and has bags of character, howver bang for buck these days best of with gti6. I must have done about 20 mi16 conversions over teh past few years mainly to my own and mates cars, always fire staright up, nice and easy to fit too

jackherer

I quite like the S16 myself :unsure:

With 1.9 Mi16 inlet manifold, inlet cam and management it drives like a slightly overpowered Mi16 and goes round corners without oil surge. Well, less oil surge.

large

Will i am another one for the Mi, well i have just fitted my first and can't wait to see what it goes like. I did have gti 6 and it went well but i am hopping the mi 205 will be that bit better.

Alan_M

I could only vote for Mi16, not got round to fitting my 'spare' GTi6 lump yet, let alone rebuild it first.

Must admit, the Mi16 is a huge hoot to drive. Mines a bit boggy, but once on cam (re-pro's) it fly's. For the 6-7 days it was working, it brought back a lot of memories for me. Its hilarious the pace it climbs through the speedo too..... :):D

The 6 lump was on the cards, maybe with the extra capacity conversion but I'm now keeping tabs on the Mi lump with crank located pistons (S13Nick?) and the oil surge results.

SurGie
Mi16, because its name sounds like a gun :D

Or Mission Impossible lol :)

James_R

Is it just me or does the exahsut note on the 6 just sound a bit raspy? I'm not kean on it.

I'm keeping tabs on a few hyrbis 6/XU9 engines at the mo, I think they could be the way to go in the future.

taylorspug
Is it just me or does the exahsut note on the 6 just sound a bit raspy? I'm not kean on it.

Yes mine certainly is raspy, much more so than the MI, induction sounds nice though. Also even with solid mounts the engine movement keeps splitting my bastard centre box, it was new last year and its now completely shagged.

KRISKARRERA
Or Mission Impossible lol :)
Or Mystery Inc or Monsters Inc.

alien7

Mi16, I'm planning to setup this engine :)

or maybe S16

craig f90

Ive got a 2.0 turbo'd 205 but crave MI16 or GTI-6 power.

DrSarty

I'm not trying to take this off topic Maxi, because it's a good poll. I can't even vote really coz the only '6 I've driven was Kate's, although I've hammered the living crap out of my Mi :blush: .

Despite knowing the Mi (XU9 anyway) is an alloy block, and that the '6 block is iron and the '6 head is drastically different, what really makes these engines have such different character?

People are favouring the Mi here, but why? It's a screamer yes, but why isn't the '6?

Edited by DrSarty

RINRIN

I can not make any comment on mi16 and gti6 but as I can imagine the mi16 is better because it has characteristics. You are damn lucky, It is really difficult to find an mi 16 engine here. Or you can find but you need to give lots of muney :blush:

• Like 1

Stu

Im torn.. I love the Mi in my 205, a really revvy engine, full of character, takes all the abuse i can throw at it and still comes back for more.. But.. Even given the mods ive done to the sump theres still a little gremlin in the back of my mind that says one day the surge will be its downfall.

Ive only driven a 306 GTI-6, and i do really like the engine. Nice induction note, no AFM, no dodgy electrics to spoil the fun. Strikes me as being a good solid unit, if a little lacking in 'zest' for want of a better word.

But for now, ive voted Mi. :blush: