• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

maxi

Little Poll For You All....

Which do you prefer, Mi16 or GTi6 powered 205??  

483 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Alan_M

IMO if you stick the Mi on decent aftermarket management (binning the AFM and s*ite TB) utilising the 6 inlet and TB, sort the surge issue out with S13Nick's modification (which gave some hope), you will have an old-skool 16v engine with reliable electrics that could be twatted round the track all day long.

Anybody know how S13Nick is getting with the mod?

weejimmy

i voted mi because ive had one since i was 15,

used to take it to crail and blat about in it all day bouncing off the limiter and it was great,

some small issues like fuel pump reley and once the water hose was spurting straight into a plug hole (no cover) that took some working out as by the time i got out the car and under the bonnet it was all dry. but thats it realy.

but its just the fact it cost 500 to convert , start it up for 5 mins, bounce it off the limiter all day and switch it off and its fine, takes all the abuse you could give it.

revs like nothing else and its just the PROPER engine to be in a 205,

205s are not sofisticated cars so why stick a nice gti6 in it

its like girls, gti-6 youd take home to meet the parents (like a 306),

Put the sluty mi16 in the 205 and abuse the crap out of it where know one else sees, it loves it.

you know which one you want

oh and never ever had any oil surge issues even round knockhill on stickys. its a myth lol.

Edited by weejimmy

Matt Holley
its like girls, gti-6 youd take home to meet the parents (like a 306),

Put the sluty mi16 in the 205 and abuse the crap out of it where know one else sees, it loves it.

you know which one you want

oh and never ever had any oil surge issues even round knockhill on stickys. its a myth lol.

So what you are saying is if you want a car thats reliable and forever put a gti6 in, if you want a quick thrill that wont last very long stick an mi in :) bit like a grenade with the pin out, exciting but will end with a bang :blush:

Alastairh
bit like a grenade with the pin out, exciting but will end with a bang :blush:

:):(:lol:

Batfink

I loved my mi on throttlebodies. when I had the option of converting to a more power 8v turbotechnics engine, I just could'nt part with it.

I never had the oil surge issues so I drove like a scud missile was strapped to it.

probably the sole reason for storing the car 5 years rather than selling was that engine. Oil surge can be worked around so that heart can keep beating at 7k.

sandy said all they need is converting to solid lifters, though there is a posible solution with s13nick which looks cheaper.

I see all sump solutions as a mask to the issue, not a way of solving it (yes even a dry sump!)

SurGie
So what you are saying is if you want a car thats reliable and forever put a gti6 in, if you want a quick thrill that wont last very long stick an mi in ;) bit like a grenade with the pin out, exciting but will end with a bang :P

:lol::lol::lol:

DanteICE
sandy said all they need is converting to solid lifters, though there is a posible solution with s13nick which looks cheaper.

I see all sump solutions as a mask to the issue, not a way of solving it (yes even a dry sump!)

What about an Accusump?

kyepan
What about an Accusump?

ironically that's what Batfink is using.

Batfink

I have a dry sump. theres mixed views about the accusump. I think the dry sump does the same job better by having 10 litres of oil in the system

28CRAIG
I'm keeping tabs on a few hyrbis 6/XU9 engines at the mo, I think they could be the way to go in the future.

Thats what i am planning in the track car i really dont like steel block cars no matter how much people say they handle just as good. They might be as fast round a track but it's the feedback i dont like i prefer my 8v to a gti6 lump so a vote for the MI16 for me.

Spiky

well i'm defo going GTI6

my std engine has been on track with TB and carb'd Mi's and where they are running more power (and the so called lighter engine)

i held my own, everytime.

why people go MI these is beyond me, unless they like going to tracks days wondering if it still be in once peice at the end of the day.

where as i go there, knowing i will be driving home :)

weejimmy

mayby you can just drive beter????

Stu
well i'm defo going GTI6

my std engine has been on track with TB and carb'd Mi's and where they are running more power (and the so called lighter engine)

why people go MI these is beyond me, unless they like going to tracks days wondering if it still be in once peice at the end of the day.

where as i go there, knowing i will be driving home :wacko:

:)

They arent that bad! I've done a few days in mine now and all is well.. *touches wood*

I think its just the inadequately prepared Mi powered cars that suffer, yes the head is the fundamental problem with the surge, but a good sump setup, lots of good oil and a decent cooler makes for a good engine imo.

Fairs fair though, you wouldnt have to go to such extremes with the '6 engine, and i must admit, if the Mi did go tits up thats what id replace it with.

Alan_M
I think its just the inadequately prepared Mi powered cars that suffer, yes the head is the fundamental problem with the surge, but a good sump setup, lots of good oil and a decent cooler makes for a good engine imo.

Fairs fair though, you wouldnt have to go to such extremes with the '6 engine, and i must admit, if the Mi did go tits up thats what id replace it with.

There is a thread from S13Nick (and Martin 'CRF450') posing that the problem with the surge is not in the head at all, but related to the piston located rods on the Mi16. Martin and Nick have built an Mi16 using the crank located rods from an 8v, and so far so good.

Fortunately, I am in the position of having a good, rebuilt Mi16 in my 205 and 1.5 GTi6 lumps in the garage (One complete, and spare crank/rods/pistons. Yet, due to the 205 turning into a dedicated trackcar more-so every month I am keeping my eye on the above thread as I would like to run stickier tyres one day without grenading my engine.

Plus point of the GTi6........increase in capacity :)

taylorspug
well i'm defo going GTI6

where as i go there, knowing i will be driving home :)

Have you even driven a good 205 MI? The poll wasnt about how amazing your track car is, it was about what engine gave the best grin factor. Hence why even though ive got a GTI6, and its easily as quick as my old MI, i still prefer the MI.

Also its not the 'so called lighter engine', the MI is lighter- fact.

People go down the MI route for a variety of reasons- Its a nice period engine for the car, its lighter and doesnt affect the handling as much as a '6 lump does, its the 'classic' 205 conversion which people aspire to, and sometimes just because of the way it goes down the road. Not everyone does trackdays. And lets face it if they did your rocketship GTI6 would come past them.

• Like 1

Baz

Mi's in a 205 then don't also make them unreasonable for competition use(debatable), whereas a '6 does.

James_R

in std trim, sort of maybe not really. Head maybe free, but block isn't. and XU9D block are still viable for those who really want to run GTi-6 engine's in competition??

Lets face it anything is better than K tronic in the mornings :)

Baz
in std trim, sort of maybe not really. Head maybe free, but block isn't. and XU9D block are still viable for those who really want to run GTi-6 engine's in competition??

Lets face it anything is better than K tronic in the mornings :)

Unless you want to be in Sports Libre... (ie. mad-bastard one-off feckin quick things)

How alike is the diesel block though, Is it really a viable option?

Yup, thank god none of us have to put up with K-jet in 205s! B)

James_R

Trying not to digress too much, the XU9J4 block is as legal as the XU10/11/7 blocks as it wasn't in the 205 every form factory.

XU9D block, well would be up to the scrutineer to decide how likely it is B) unless other competitors make a complaint that is.

Anywho, Mi :) it is.

Baz
Trying not to digress too much, the XU9J4 block is as legal as the XU10/11/7 blocks as it wasn't in the 205 every form factory.

Technically yes, BUT, the XU9J4 is

externally identifiable as standard

Just with some webbing added... :)

James_R

I'll show the scrut my diesel blocked 6 then :)

Ethos

I'm really glad I did my mi16 conversion! Great power delivery (my normal car is turbo so pretty much the opposite!).

Also think I managed to do it all in under £600 (including the rebuilt engine).

Not bad eh?

Very easy conversion too...

ben_kilpatrick205

I'm hoping to put the 6 lump in mine so i would have to say that! :rolleyes:

Spiky
Have you even driven a good 205 MI? The poll wasnt about how amazing your track car is, it was about what engine gave the best grin factor. Hence why even though ive got a GTI6, and its easily as quick as my old MI, i still prefer the MI.

Also its not the 'so called lighter engine', the MI is lighter- fact.

People go down the MI route for a variety of reasons- Its a nice period engine for the car, its lighter and doesnt affect the handling as much as a '6 lump does, its the 'classic' 205 conversion which people aspire to, and sometimes just because of the way it goes down the road. Not everyone does trackdays. And lets face it if they did your rocketship GTI6 would come past them.

but thats my point, the grin factor in mine is trackday after track day, GRIN after GRIN

fit and forget :P

it well be a better engine for reving, but at the sacrfise of breaking on track days,

i have to keep sayign track days as thats all i have muine for :lol:

i do you it o the road, and i have driven it to the Nurburgring, and done laps and driven home :lol:

GLPoomobile

What the fook is going on here? I'm seeing new replies to this topic but everytime I load the last page, the last reply I see is from Spiky at 0942 yesterday!