• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Fox

What Are The Best Modifications You Can Carry Out On A 205 Gti?

Alan_M
what sort of rack is this??

ps a fatter rear anti rollbar is probably one of the best mod you can do regards price and ease of fitting..

I'm just about to fit one to my 205. It came as a kit from West Midlands Motorsport, but I think AB do them too and built up as an option.

I used to have a dePAS'd rack, but it was s*it at centre so went this way instead.

Sandy

I meant 309 shaft and arms yes. It balances out the chassis beautifully, without compromising the linear responses of the chassis.

Ethos
Rust in the inner wings is popular is usually missed, and can scrap the shell if left. Not expensive to fix if caught early enough.

How far gone would you say it needed to be?

Mine is pretty gone right in the corner, guessing it'll cost a far bit to sort out.

Alan_M
How far gone would you say it needed to be?

Mine is pretty gone right in the corner, guessing it'll cost a far bit to sort out.

Depends on how desperate you are to keep the shell.

I scrapped a shell a few years ago with bad rot on the inner wing, and the main chassis leg where the battery tray bolts to.

Considering there is a bare shell for sale on here for £100, its probably not worth the hassle to repair but decent 205 shells are coming harder to find these days, and the average price of them is going up.

As in 'pretty gone', is it a hole yet or just flaky?

Ethos

I don't have enough experience to really gauge how badly gone it is. But if this helps here are some pictures (hope the original poster doesn't mind). I managed to go through it (see picture 3). Right in the corners it dips down a good 2-3mm.

http://www.aoyt95.dsl.pipex.com/205/rust/resized/rust1.jpg

http://www.aoyt95.dsl.pipex.com/205/rust/resized/rust2.jpg

http://www.aoyt95.dsl.pipex.com/205/rust/resized/rust3.jpg

Edited by Ethos

joey
I'm just about to fit one to my 205. It came as a kit from West Midlands Motorsport, but I think AB do them too and built up as an option.

I used to have a dePAS'd rack, but it was s*it at centre so went this way instead.

hmm, how much abouts if ya dont mind me asking,

will you be using it on your road car or for competition use only.. and will ya be running with the power assisted or without.

cheers

Alan_M
hmm, how much abouts if ya dont mind me asking,

will you be using it on your road car or for competition use only.. and will ya be running with the power assisted or without.

cheers

Not at all......Not a lot of change from £100 for the rack, pinion and a phosphur bronze bush that replaces the standard plastic item (usually collapses).

Then £10 for a used manual spline rack, new track rods, track rod ends and gaitors. Bearings I blagged from work.

Its a manual rack for now, but I may change that if my TransX diff is a little harsh with it.

James_m
I hated this, had too much play in it for my liking and wasn't really much quicker imo. My current 2.5 turn rack is amazing though! <_<

Yeah, the play is not great, but i found the standard rack slow to the point of not really being in tune with the feeling of agility you get from a 205 in general.

Im tempted by a quick rack though! How managable is it at low speeds/city? Im a bit worried 2.5 might be a bit much for every day use?

Another good mod is ditching the tilt mechanism on the drivers seat. Standard seat height is FTL!

Sign in to follow this