• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Fox

What Are The Best Modifications You Can Carry Out On A 205 Gti?

Fox

I'm fairly new to owning a GTI, and now I have a bit of cash I’d like to make it go a bit better, and I’m sure a few other people are thinking the same.

So, what are the best modifications you can carry out on a 205 GTI?

Yes, it’s a vague question, but if you had a standard GTI, starting from scratch what would you do?

gerry

better brakes :)

Baz

Nothing wrong with std brakes if they're in good working order. I'd say the normal service items, then reliability things. Silicone hoses, metal water pipe, bushes, drop links, beam mounts, decent tyres etc, then look at mods. :)

GLPoomobile

That depends whether your definition of "spare cash" is a couple of hundred quid or a couple of grand!

Miles' gear rods

refresh worn suspension (not a mod, but an essential starting point)

Decent front pads

I'm trying to think small here, and I'm racking my brains as the reality is they are so good as standard that there's not much you 'need' to do!

welshpug

Bar the obvious getting it exactly as it should be condition wise, Aftermarket management system, Coilpack and MAP equipped Motronic has made such a difference to mine :)

I'm happy with mine on standard suspension, I might even go back to the original springs instead of the 25mm dropped Ventura ones.

GLPoomobile

Oh, thought of another - solid rear beam mounts. Cost little, c*nt to fit though, but make such a difference to the feel of the back end.

Para

Mi16 of course

James_m

If you dont already run PAS, the faster geared PAS rack with no assitance is probably one of the best mods you can do IMO

S13Nick

a Turbo :), and brakes!

MrG

I'd say get the suspension either nice and tight with all new bushes or upgrade that with new improved items. Basically overhaul the std car? The cars fast enough really for the street but it depends on what you want to use the car for really.

Edited by MrG

sonofsam
a Turbo :), and brakes!

Standard brakes with decent pads & lines are good enough :):D

Would agree with the Turbo bit though B) & bin that AFM!

Alastairh

8 more valves :)

White Pugs

what's wrong with standard brakes?

My car is a smidge quicker than standard and it copes perfectly well with standard discs, calipers etc. Braided lines and different friction (pagid blues :)) are all you really need. Unless you're going rallying.

Silicone hoses are a waste of time IMO, unless you've got a fetish for blue piping. If you aren't a fixer-upper yourself, take it to a reputable peugeot expert and get them to asses then repair or replace anything missing or worn with genuine parts, esp suspension then fit a new set of tyres and get the alignment done. You'll be amazed how fit they feel when factory fresh and reliable.

J

welshpug

silicone hoses are cheaper than most of the O.E kit, and available in black :)

agree on the rest :)

ditching the AFM is the best mod :D:

Jrod
If you dont already run PAS, the faster geared PAS rack with no assitance is probably one of the best mods you can do IMO

I hated this, had too much play in it for my liking and wasn't really much quicker imo. My current 2.5 turn rack is amazing though! :)

Henry Yorke

Eibach springs and reset torsion bar if the rest of the car is in good condition. The standard car is pretty good though

Baz

I suggested silicone hoses more as a reliability item tbh, it's perhaps a placebo, but i'm comfortable in the knowledge that the car i need to be relied upon isn't going to fail with something like a 20yo crappy hose.

Sandy

309 width front.

Fox

Cheers for the replies!

Ideally I ment what could be done for a few hundred quid, so far we’ve got…

Full service, and replace worn engine mounts, suspension components

Solid rear beam mounts

Decent tyres

Up rated Pads, or 1.9 spec brakes all round?

Miles' gear rods

What’s all this ditching the AFM mod about?

Sandy,I presume the wider 309 track involves swapping bottom arms and shafts? Is it worth doing the rear to match too?

welshpug

the problem you have is that to have a good starting point you should already have good tyres, capable brakes, a working rear beam etc!!

I know its probably quite a task to find a car like this though, but if you arent hell bent on more power, I'd concentrate on getting it 100% standard first.

Alan_M

What states the shell in?

Rust in the inner wings is popular is usually missed, and can scrap the shell if left. Not expensive to fix if caught early enough.

Other than that, if your not interested in a track machine, then refurb the suspension with new everything (It'll cost though), add decent pads and braided hose ends, a service and decent tyres. It'll keep you grinning for a while......until you desire the 16v conversion.

Dan Ingram

I'd fit new suspension bushes and drop links and solid rear beam mounts. Full Baker engine mount kit. Some decent gear linkages. Ferodo DS2500s with some dot 5.1 fluid. Standard ride height is good but some eibach springs on the front and the rear dropped to match helps a bit. A new set of tyres and a good alignment of everything makes a huge difference.

If you cant enjoy a 205 with all that sorted then you must be a bit mental.

• Like 1

joey
My current 2.5 turn rack is amazing though!

what sort of rack is this??

ps a fatter rear anti rollbar is probably one of the best mod you can do regards price and ease of fitting..

happygoron

My plan when/if I finally get a nice 1.9 is to spend the first year or so just getting it reliable and in good nick, then think about other things, though I think I'll like mine standard. I suggest getting the shell in good order and refurbing bits like the suspension and hoses, get it all nice and tight and reliable.

Fox

Agreed. I'm on with sorting the basics, I've swapped the knackered engine mounts for standard ones today, and it feels loads better!

On with giving the brakes a good going over tomorrow.

Sign in to follow this