• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Tom Fenton

[Project] Starting My Xu5T Build

tom_m

looks good, not trying to put a downer on it, but have you measured up for the inlet arrangement? i think you're going to run into space issues with that silicone pipe, the OE arrangement is a very tight bend and still ends up hitting the servo without a bit of joggling usually

Tom Fenton

Waaaaaay ahead of you on that one buddy!

Got a pedal box for it, no servo, should be plenty of room fingers crossed! It makes a very brief appearance about 4 pages ago :P

matty_gti

With the manifold gasket do you think it would a good fit onto the TT manifold as I know TT didn't use one?...

P.s Received the pulley :P

Tom Fenton

I don't see why not, after all it uses the same stud pattern as the standard head.

matty_gti
I don't see why not, after all it uses the same stud pattern as the standard head.

Have you got a part no. atal?.

Tom Fenton

Not to hand, its on service box though, I looked under 406.

tom_m
Waaaaaay ahead of you on that one buddy!

Got a pedal box for it, no servo, should be plenty of room fingers crossed! It makes a very brief appearance about 4 pages ago :rolleyes:

awesome B) i think you might be right there.

there are pics of paul's turbo here with a peddle box, but different manifold and turbo, indicating that yours will have buckets of room.

Clicky Clicky

Tom Fenton

I'm hoping so, certainly on our Mi16 track car there is loads of room there even with the 16v head.

Thanks for the comments though, its good to get someone else looking critically at whats going on, as it may well be that another pair of eyes spots something I've overlooked.

Tom Fenton

Braved the cold do to a bit more tonight, car is now SORN and outside the garage, although it doesn't know its fate yet smile.gif

35320017263_97d384b84c_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

I've carried on with the air intake pipework, made some brackets to attach it to the head, and then made another bend to bring it round the coilpack. I'm not sure how much space there will be with the battery there, but will find out when it goes in, and I can always modify it.

36086779546_f7a0a7ecc0_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Mocked up with air filter.

36128268205_26670f171a_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

EdCherry

Looking good, cant wait to see this in and mapped. Also at the end of the project, will you disclose total cost?

Henry Yorke

Have you shortened the acuator pipe on the turbo as well?

Mine hasn't got the heat shield on. I cannot remember if it caused the turbo to be too close to the bulkhead or I just never picked one up!!

Are those 50mm air intake elbows to the turbo? I might have to tart up my squished inlet pipe at some point too!

Tom Fenton

No, the actuator pipe is as it came.

The air intake pipework is 2 1/2"- as this is what the turbo inlet OD is.

welshpug

that's going to be hit and miss whether it misses the battery, I don't think the filter will but the pipe might.

this is the intake pipe on MP3.1, it goes straight over the coilpack not around it and you can see how close it is the battery.

PICT0023.jpg

Tom Fenton

Bye bye 140k original 1.6 engine......

35736440980_46f0b82cd8_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

EdCherry

Is there anything wrong with manky 140k engine though?

Id take him off you if you weren't so far!

Tom Fenton

You won't be taking it off me no matter how far away you are, as its not on offer and never has been.

DrSarty
You won't be taking it off me no matter how far away you are, as its not on offer and never has been.

Everything has a price Tom :) .

Keep up the good project work too.

EdCherry

Ahh well, like I said wouldn't get it off you anyway. Got plans for that one too?

miamichris

Hi Tom, just a question for you. When you put the 6 bar oil pump spring in, did you use the guide pin? I rebuilt my oil pump earlier with the 6 bar spring and forgot i'd bought the guide pin, so never fitted it! Do you think it would be a problem or can I just leave it out as there is no guide pin in the xu9 oil pump diagram?

Cheers, Chris :blush:

Tom Fenton

I didn't fit one- the spring is fairly well supported in the pump, so as I didn't have one I didn't worry about it.

miamichris

I'd already stuck the well seal on it and bolted it back up so thats just what I wanted to hear! thanks Tom :P

Tom Fenton

Well since ripping the engine out progress has been slow for a few reasons, however I have now degreased and jetwashed the engine bay, and done a few more bits on the engine.

I decided I needed some decent boost take offs for the wastegate actuator, and the MAP sensor, so I drilled and tapped the manifold to accept some unions.

35958500642_9f77612cdb_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

I also discovered that the dipstick tube would no longer bolt onto its bracket, so I knocked up a rough and ready stainless one to support it.

35958500632_e6653b9ac6_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

I've a couple of days off work this week so I'm hoping to get the pedal box swapped over, and then I can get the engine in the car to see what sits where.

platty

Slap the battery in the boot Tom, you'll have all the room in the world then.

M@tt

Looking Good Mr F ;)

probably beat my CTI onto the road at this rate :)

Tom Fenton

Done a bit more today, I've installed my stainless radiator bracket loosely to allow me to see how things fit

35320017383_c36303ca35_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Then with the rad trial fitted made some brackets and welded them onto the rad for the SPAL fan I bought a few weeks ago

35958500692_dcf8bf7d48_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Then fitted the fan, this all fits in with the radiator leaning forward, the top of the rad is more or less level with the top of the grey part of the front bumper.

36128268195_5d2c55e789_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Tomorrow I'm hoping to get the engine trial fitted, although I've realised that the car has a 1 1/2" lower hose, and I made my rear water adaptor 1 1/4", as this was the size of the plastic distribution block on that engine. So I'll probably have to make another one of those which is a bit of an arse.