• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Tom Fenton

[Project] Starting My Xu5T Build

Tom Fenton
Are you able to make up those oil pressure switches with takeoff if need be?

I'm sure carl could be bribed with folding money to make another........!

danpug

Any idea what he would charge?

taylorspug
It needs the one large obvious one, then 2 off smaller type, but the position of the smaller type is important, as the end of one of the standard take offs is about 2mm from the wastegate actuator........

I've spent about £15 on material now to make something, so if its OK I'll have a go at that first, if I fail miserably I may be in touch though! Thanks for the offer!

Ok no problem, well the thing ive got has three small takeoffs (IIRC it came off some sort of MI engine donkeys ago), but its made of alloy, so could be good for adapting to work if its weldable.

Tom Fenton

Well today has been a lot of buggering about for little progress, I'm now getting to the stage of plumbing, and because I'm turbocharging the alloy block, I'm having to make or modify nearly everything to suit as I go along........

So started with some tube and some 4mm sheet

35736440680_6582d45dfc_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Then cut out a flange (fnarr!!)

35286744834_f2f9b49e73_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Then holesaw fishtails and holes into some 1.1/4" tube and stick together with hot metal glue

35736440720_8ba06f7d55_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Next stick this to the flange, weld a bead around the end of the tube to stop a hose blowing off, then try it for size on the block

36128267785_c7537660b9_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Next sleeve a piece of 1" tube in the other end and weld round, can't go much further than this unfortunately now until the engine is in so I can see where the heater and exp tank pipes can run.

35994500921_2a43ef1767_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

I've also now sorted out the lower water return from the turbo, and have ordered some 10mm OD tube to weld to my creation to couple it up.

The final bit of news is the insurance- renewal price for basically standard car was £220, add the turbo, exhaust, ECU etc that will be fitted, and the price goes up to £265 fully comp, bloody result I say!

Tom Fenton

Got some 10mm aluminium tube through the post so added this to my creation, then coupled it to the turbo water pipe with some heat resistant sleeve for good measure.

36128267925_e4d759f683_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Next up is intercooler pipes as I need the engine in really now to be able to sort the heater pipe location into this water distribution housing.

madspikes

What a great thread, given me lots of pointers and motivation on getting my sad old engine rebuilt! I expect my thread will end up being how NOT to rebuild an engine!!!

Keep up the great work, and keep the thread updated with current progress.

Mad.

omega

why did you use rover injectors? do they flow better?what rover are they from?

Tom Fenton

Madspikes I'm glad it may have been helpful to you.

Omega I used Rover injectors as they flow more than the Peugeot ones I have, fit in the same space, and are easy to get hold of and not expensive. As for what car they are out of you will have to do the same as I had to and research on the net!

omega
Madspikes I'm glad it may have been helpful to you.

Omega I used Rover injectors as they flow more than the Peugeot ones I have, fit in the same space, and are easy to get hold of and not expensive. As for what car they are out of you will have to do the same as I had to and research on the net!

ah secrets

Tom Fenton

Not really, pop "Rover injectors" into Google and see what you get.

tom_m
ah secrets

search rover (turbo) injectors on here and you find the answer too i suspect, Tom's not the first to use them in an application that requires a bit more fuel than the OE can supply. i bet he won't be the last either!

omega
search rover (turbo) injectors on here and you find the answer too i suspect, Tom's not the first to use them in an application that requires a bit more fuel than the OE can supply. i bet he won't be the last either!

ah 220 coupe?

Tom Fenton

Bit more progress on this, although its slow at the moment....

I've been thinking about air piping, I'm hoping to use a Cosworth intercooler, however this has 60mm diameter hose tails. The standard 8v throttle body is 57mm OD, what an awkward size, as none of the samco type silicone hoses available do a 57-60mm reducer.

So with a bit of lateral thinking and a man with a lathe.....squared the throttle body casting up in the jaws, and then took a lick off to remove the standard "step" and also clean up to a decent finish. Then turned up an alloy ring 60mm OD and an ID just smaller than the finished size of the TB. Heat alloy ring up in boiling water and then put both together with some bearing fit for good measure, so now I have a throttle body with a 60mm OD and a step to help stop hoses blowing off, ideal. Sorry first pic not so good.

35736440790_4562e2e239_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

I'd already cleaned and tapped another throttle body to blank the holes off, so I'll have to do the same to this one now, I didn't want to machine the other one incase it didn't work.

35736440670_21e43c29f0_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

The other bit I've been doing is to make something for the turbo air inlet. I've got some of the standard 2.0T air ducting, but the boost alloy pipe goes over the wrong side of the engine to suit my layout, and I didn't especially like the plastic air intake duct. I want to try and take the boost pipe from the turbo over the cambelt cover end of the engine, hopefully it can snake in between this and the engine mount bracket on the inner wing. Because of this I thus have a plumbing nightmare trying to get the air intake ducting back on itself without getting too much in the way of the boost pipe.....

So I've started making a tight lobsterback in 2 1/2" alloy tube, hopefully I can get this in right up tight to the head, and not get in the way of the boost pipe too much......my TIG welding is also improving with the practise!

36086779376_8e977f0ca8_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Edited by Tom Fenton

edbar

Looking really good, some nice practical low cost solutions. Good work!

DrSarty
Looking really good, some nice practical low cost solutions. Good work!

Only apparently low cost, due to high intelligence and high skill. :o

taylorspug

Really impressed with the throttle body modification, nice work!

miamichris

Your bottom end rebuild guide has helped me no end Tom, since i'm in the middle of re-building my own (first engine rebuild too). I bought some graphogen and well seal too after seeing you use them! ;)

So thanks, and keep it up mate, I look forward to the updates on this thread :(

Tom Fenton

Glad this thread is either helping or inspiring people. The credit for the TB mod must go to my mate Carl, it was my idea, but he has the lathe to make it happen!

I've just had an add up of total cost and shocked myself at how much I've spent on it so far, having said that if I take away the ECU purchase at £300 and new turbo at £150 that is over 50% of the total gone, so maybe not so bad...... eek!

Henry 1.9GTi

not so bad! thats cheap!

keep up the good work and writeups.

Henry.

Tom Fenton

Some more progress, just sneaked in the garage for a bit when our lass went to the gym smile.gif

Turbo air inlet pipe progressed.

35320017133_73bd329280_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

The straight leg is left long on purpose for now until I get the silicone bends through. As you can see it will line up nicely when trimmed back and also should allow the boost pipe to go over it and round the cambelt cover. Next job after its joined up will be to make some brackets to hang it off the back of the cylinder head.

35736440800_5f23d8d42b_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

welshpug

more clever work :wub: that's exactly how the 306 DT's intake pipe goes.

DrSarty

Still great work Tom.

Doesn't that heatshield (that's what it looks like) over the exhaust manifold let down your functional but pretty engine though?

Tom Fenton

Possibly, but unless I want to cook my incoming air charge its kind of essential! Once its down the back of the engine its not especially visible anyhow.

DrSarty
Possibly, but unless I want to cook my incoming air charge its kind of essential! Once its down the back of the engine its not especially visible anyhow.

Sorry Tom, I never meant remove it as I understand its purpose. I purely meant cosmetics, which MAY not be high on your agenda, but you have a chance now to make it look as swish as the rest of the engine; maybe even just a lick of silver VHT paint?

Edited by DrSarty

Tom Fenton

I've tried VHT paint before and never been very impressed with it TBH, especially on a turbo manifold heat shield I think it will just burn off!

So first tonight I fitted the manifold gasket, genuine Peugeot stainless steel effort.

35286744854_269a6e9a0a_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Anyway, to keep the good doctor happy I've given the heatshield a razz over with a scotchbrite pad before bolting it down once and for all!

36086779486_b6092d55ea_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Some silicone hoses arrived today so I've also put the hose on the oil drain

PICTURE MIA

I then offered up my turbo intake air pipe and trimmed the silicone hose to suit. I've also discovered that the bloody dipstick tube gets in the way so this will have to move elsewhere!

36086779546_f7a0a7ecc0_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Also test fitted one of a selection of 2" boost hoses I have, sits nicely over the top of the intake hose.

35286744844_b26f57214c_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Final test was to check the modded throttle body coupling up to the intercooler, there is plenty of leg length on the hose for adjustment, just not certain yet how the intercooler will sit height wise relative to the throttle body, will have to wait till the engine is in and see.

35958500572_459d11df6e_z.jpg205T by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

Thats all for now.