• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AdamVester

[body_work] Project Matt Black.

toddydal

did you remember to put plastic primer on the plastic first because if not it will just flake off

Edited by toddydal

AdamVester
did you remember to put plastic primer on the plastic first because if not it will just flake off

The paint i used said it didnt need it so no.. but if it flakes off ill just do it again only takes 5 mins to remove the trim :wacko:. i did sand down the bumpers to create a ruffish surface though so that will help it stick a bit.

the cars at my house now :lol: but its a little to dark to take pics so ill get some tommorrow after its got its last coat and ill take some when bumpers are on and the cars finished.

toddydal

looks like your setting a trend now with the matt black effect,looks like more and more want thers done now

AdamVester

i think most people will look at this thred and think looks good and then thats it a few might go ummm could do this and then leave it... and you will get the odd 1 or 2 that will attempt to do it.

if you think about it its the cheapest / fastest most effective color change you can get and its dead easy to do yourself if you got the balls to sand down your car. the whole matt black paint idea might attract people who have had to replace panels on the car that dont match and stuff...

I think very few people will try this but if they do all i can say is good luke!! if i was going to go about painting my car this color again i would do all the trim first then mask the trim off and remove all lights and doors, and the boot and paint them off the car and then put it all back together. It will take more time but you would leave you with a nice finish inside and out the car.

Anton green

Hi Adam, any reason why you didn't use the spray matt black from rust-o-leum, instead of the roller and tub of paint? Do you think you would have gotten any different results when finished?

matt aerosol colours clicki

Cheers, Anton

Edited by Anton green

AdamVester

um 2 reasons. cost and i dont no anyone who has used it befor. if you search google for "paint car rustoleum" you will get a fair few results with people who done the same i have in different colors. 2 of interest are dodge cahrgers 1 orange the other white. 1 person has even put pictures up of the paint after 1 year and it looks the same!!!. also both my friends used a roller on there car and it worked well. 1 of them used the same paint as me on his capri and that did look awsome..

the other issue i had was i was doing this all in the open and i dont no if you ever herd of the malvern hills? if not google it. i live in a small town called malvern with massive hills basics its very very windy down there at times and i didnt have gurage big enough to spray the car and i didnt have the founds or place to erect a booth / tent around the car.

hope this helps with your question.

Edited by AdamVester

Goliath

Looking good, will be awesome to see some pics when the trim an' all is back on.............................. or i could just see the car in the flesh on sunday at the psooc meet :)

AdamVester

Ok its almost done guys and girls!!! just needs a final sand and some compound. oh and you were right the trim did flake once it was all ont he car errrrrrr anoying lol... i didnt bother putting the badges on the rear panels and i debaged them and used same paint so i figured it would just flake aswell. but anyway here are some pictures of what it looks like right now. next week it will have silver trim and all the trim done again (if i get enough cash) i will also run compound into it so smooth it all off it feels like a backboard at the moment..

http://www.another-site.net/adam/Projects/GTI6/side.JPG

http://www.another-site.net/adam/Projects/GTI6/back.JPG

http://www.another-site.net/adam/Projects/GTI6/front.JPG

oh i got to do the tailgate trim aswell and sort that wobby light out and do the grill lol.

i dont think the finish will be as good as i first thought but hey who cares i did it for under £80!!! sure beats paying £800 for a bad paintjob by a dodgy gurage that would make me wait ages plus i really enjoyed painting it i like getting to no the car by doing bits to it.. befor i started i didnt even no how to take the tirm off!!!

Anton green

Looking good Adam :blush:

welshpug

nice effort, I like the contrast between the black trim and the paintwork.

is this the one that's going GTi6?

M_R_205

Wow looks fantastic im mightily impressed with your effort and the results!!! im also impressed that you can get the trim off in 5 mins, i always end up f***ing it lol ;)

Well done :blush:

Paul

AdamVester

yeah taking the trim of was really easy on this car i think its been off the car not to long ago as i only snaped 2 clips on the front. just pulled the red inserts out and pushed off the clips and yanked the front and pack trim off simple :blush:..

um not sure on the engine yet i really wanted a GTI6 but a friend just got an RS turbo and the dump valve makes me want to cream every time i here it so i was thinking about the a 2.0L turbo. i also want an Mi16 as its the most common convershion and i no how its done and i no someone who can help me with it.

the problem with the GTI6 and a 8v turbo is the tax it will go up as its a 2.0L ware as the mi16 is a 1.9 so if i am right its a differnt tax band? also the 2L turbo only offerd 150bhp and i herd isnt that reliable. the GTI-6 engine in hevy and i dont no how to wire it in.

the best choice i think at the moment will be a mi16 engine as i no how to do the convershion and im pritty confident it will be the cheapest option for the BHP.

anyone else got any ideas to what engine i should go for i am really struggling to choose.

welshpug

GTi6 will be in the same tax band as a 1.9 8 valver.

i'm sure you can get help with the wiring, its no more difficult than an Mi16 wiring setup...

AdamVester
GTi6 will be in the same tax band as a 1.9 8 valver.

i'm sure you can get help with the wiring, its no more difficult than an Mi16 wiring setup...

but isnt it a 2L? or is it below the CC for the higher tax band? i want something quick but reliable and not to bad on fule also something i can get parts for cheap and easy. forgot to add that info lol. i herd GTI-6 parts are expensive and hard to come buy any idea if this is true? also whats the mpg on average on the gti-6 compaired to the mi16. and the weight between the 2?

toddydal

at least uve had a go doing the car mate,if you dont have a go yourself ul never learn anything,well done ,,jobs a gooden

applemobile

there are so many matt black cars round my way. it took off big time last year. its a bit ''all been done before'' i do remember once seeing a cossy, that had been painted matt black, and then the guy said he has started to wax it, and it came up shiny. then because he had done a lil bit, he had to do the lot! took hime like 4 days straight of constant waxing, but came up in a real nice gloss, unusual looking black.

AdamVester

yeah i got to admit i seen a few more matt black cars about lately last year i didnt really no anyone with one.. now i no 2 so goes to show its taking off thats for sure. its just an easy color to do for cheap with little talent envolved so i guess alot of people try it out.

toddydal

any more pictures of it finished yet.

AdamVester

i wont have any more pictures of it untill this monday / tus comming possibly after that i got to wet n dry the whole car and my next day off is mon/tues if i got the time and the cash on my days off i shell tyr my best to finish her off and get the pictures of the finished car. also i should be attending the gloster pug meets in her a few months after its finished (need to do the engine upgrade :blink:) so yeah if anyone is interested in seeing the car in person ill give you the heads up when im attending the meet with it.

AdamVester

Ok its had chance the weather a little now since its been freezing cold and raining and really sunny the last few days the paint has settled nicely and its dryed i was surppied to see the color has gotton darker!!! it looks even more awsome now here are some pictures.. (the car looks alot lighter than it actually is in the pictures.)

frontdrivers.JPG

side2.JPG

frontsidepassenger.JPG

rearend.JPG

and the paintwork close up: (feels like a blackboard as i havent sanded it down or anything just slaped the last coat on.)

paintwork.JPG

:)

madspikes

I like it! I started using the same paint but gloss black on a spare bonnet back at the back end of last year, as means as a tester for doing the whole car. I havent progress too far, but what I've done looks good. Its no 'concourse' finish but should make the pug look a dam site better than it does now.

Cool as.

Mad. :)

AdamVester

well really peeed off now.. took all the tirm off got the primer and bumper paint and some more wet n dry.. go to wet n dry the car as i figured this would be the most sensible way as it was due to rate later on.. i did some sanding on the door and it chucked it down errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr... so project is at a hult due to weather reasons i wanted to have it finished for the engine next week looks like its going to be a while longer now..

AdamVester

Ok a little update i have primed all the tirm up and smoothed the car off with some wet & dry... the paintwork is now finished and its pritty smooth a really good result i think it does have some imperfections in small places but you cant notice them unless pointed out or you look really close tyring to pcik faults :huh:.. so yeah that turned out better than i figured it would have..

as for the plastics well took um off and sanded them down smoothed them all off and primed them for painting just waiting for them to dry now so i can spray them and put them backon. hopfully the car will be finished by tonight if not the end of this week sometime when i get some spare time to put the trim backon.

its just the engine then B) still dont no what to get i think its gonna be a GTI6 but im considering this mi16 engine a friend has if he wants to sell it because i no its a mint one and it would jus be nice to have a retro convershion in a retro looking car...

trialster

been following this closely, looks good!

remind me, what colour was it before? are you painting the trim matt black too?

AdamVester
been following this closely, looks good!

remind me, what colour was it before? are you painting the trim matt black too?

it was graphite grey but the boot, lower corner of the door, drivers door were all damaged with iver rust or dents. after i sorted all these out a few panels didnt match so i thought it would paint it.. cheapest option took my fancy for many reasons so matt black it was..

as for the trim there is a picture a few pages back of the car painted matt black with trim on.. thats basicly what it will look like in the end aswell apart from it will have white alloys and silver inserts and the bdages put backon.. but yeah trims a kind of gloss black color looks a little darker than brand new trim :)..

if you want to check the progress out in detail with more pictures go to my site www.adamvester.co.uk and enjoy!!!