• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
AdamVester

[body_work] Project Matt Black.

AdamVester

Ok this is my little project i desided i didnt like the original car color (graphite grey) well i did like it but the panels didnt match and i wanted a cheap paint job. a friend of mine who owns a mk1 fiesta told me about how he painted his car in matt black for under £40!!!. this of cource got me exsited i didnt beleave his words when he said "i used a roller and a paint brush and some blackboard paint." i checked out the car and i was really impressed. liking the idea i looked into painting your car more and found another of my friends had painted there capri in matt black the same way and it gave the same finish looked awsome.

I figured hum i could do that and looked into it some more, i found what paint to use and how to apply it and the right brush's to use.

Here is a list of stuff i got:

Brush's: went to instore picked up a set for £4.

Roller: had one laying around a normal soft one will do.

Paint: this was a hard one i wanted something that wouldnt cause the car to rust i found out they make a paint thats for outdoor use that people paint mustangs and chargers with!!! here is a link if anyone is interested "http://www.combicolor.co.uk/?action=typeselect&cid=163&pid=19&catid=1".

I will keep this topic updated with pictures and problems i have.

So ill start with what i have done so far. I have taken off all the tirm and found out that the little white clips on the front drivers and passenger trim snap easy so get some spares!!. I have also sanded down the car as much as i can so the paint will stick. (this actually looks kinda cool)

Working day 1 pics: (talking about ratt look :))

http://www.another-site.net/adam/Projects/GTI6/prep1.JPG

http://www.another-site.net/adam/Projects/GTI6/prep2.JPG

http://www.another-site.net/adam/Projects/GTI6/prep3.JPG

(My website "www.adamvester.co.uk" will been updated weekly with pictures in the projects section under project GTI6.)

Goliath

NUTTAAAAAAAAH

good luck with it ! will be very interesting to see some pics of it with paint on as it should look quite stealthy....

AdamVester

yeah i already been called nuts by a few friends a few people have been like "What the hell have you done!" all it needed was a respray on the door and a new boot and bonet lol. but still i brought the car as a project and a project it shell be :)

all thats left to do is paint her and shuv the GTI6 engine or MI16 in her and stick some tax on. after that my topaz will be up for sale hopfully this will pay off some of the debt the engine owns me.

welshpug

should look pretty cool if its done well, a little time spent on the details goes a long way.

things like removing the side repeaters and all the lights, door handles and seals, front and rear spoilers etc will make such a difference to the finish.

AdamVester

i did remove everything befor sanding just put them back on tempory while i am waiting for the paint to be deliverd my dad didnt want it all clogging up his drive :angry: but yeah removed the lights and repeaters sanded under them and put them back. i am doing the engine bay when i get the new engine but i will be painting the car inside and out :). best part is i cant really loose now if the paint doesnt go on really smooth i can iver dilute it and try again or just leave it with brush strokes and say "i wanted a rat look" :(.

Edited by AdamVester

Atari Boy

I think that if done well, it will took very good.

Well done, keep us posted.

skinner2k3

Very interested in how this goes as I wanted to paint mine Satin Black.

AdamVester

i was thinking about satin black myself but desided against it. the paint came today and i started on bits ware the roller cant get with a brush. i have some nasty brush marks but nothing i cant sand out i was using a cheap ass brush though my dad gave me a good one and it left zero streaks. the first coats intended to be a ruff one anyway. what i am going to do is put another coat over this one and sand it with some 600 wen n dry then use paint again but a really thin layer and sand it over with 1500 wet n dry with plenty of water. after a few weeks ill use some compond should leave a very smooth finish.

the paint looks really good on it though looks really mean.

M_R_205

LEGEND!!!

If this looks good im going to do my mid engine like this

Btw how much paint did u buy im asuming the bigger can will be needed

Edited by M_R_205

AdamVester

This is the paint i brought: http://www.combicolor.co.uk/?action=typese...=19&catid=1 i got the 2.5L can. i have painted a fair bit of the car already with it and i can safley say i can do at least 8 coats with 1 can!!!!...

i only need to do 3 coats at most so i should have over half a tin of black paint left over incase anything happens later on when i am driving the car :D

and if you look in argos there is a brush, roller, mini roller, dust sheet package for £4.99 :(

btw the paint come to £31.18 with delivery and VAT

im very confident its going to look good as i no 2 people who have done it and seen the cars in person. also from what i have done on my bumpers (already done) it looks flawless.

M_R_205
This is the paint i brought: http://www.combicolor.co.uk/?action=typese...=19&catid=1 i got the 2.5L can. i have painted a fair bit of the car already with it and i can safley say i can do at least 8 coats with 1 can!!!!...

i only need to do 3 coats at most so i should have over half a tin of black paint left over incase anything happens later on when i am driving the car :D

and if you look in argos there is a brush, roller, mini roller, dust sheet package for £4.99 :(

btw the paint come to £31.18 with delivery and VAT

im very confident its going to look good as i no 2 people who have done it and seen the cars in person. also from what i have done on my bumpers (already done) it looks flawless.

:) you should upload some pics tomorrow so we can see how its progress :)

AdamVester

i will if i remember to bring the camera i am doing the car in my parents back garden. so i am comming home from work getting changed and doing a few houres work each night on her. if i took pictures of it now you would laugh :D literally the bumpers and boot are painted and all the edges are painted ready for me to just use the roller over it. looks kinda odd.

M_R_205

Sounds like it looks plain cool, il keep my eye on this thread :D

Goliath
Sounds like it looks plain cool, il keep my eye on this thread :wacko:

same......

AdamVester

ok good news its got a compleat first coat on now :) i did try take some pictures but they were really dark and didnt show anything really.

the paint took to the car really well i have a few brush strokes ware i think i could have used a softer brush or even a sponge. a sponge probily would be better than a brush if i am honist. ware i went over with a roller is ace if i put the car next to one thats been sprayed and you ran your fingers down you wouldnt no the difference. it still needs to be sanded and have another coat or 2 on it yet to get rid of them brush strokes i will probily get some sponges to go over ware i brushed befor once smooth and then sand again. after that on will go the compond i will try my best to get pictures tommorrow again they wont look the best as the car has no trim on it at the moment that wont be getting done for a few weeks yet.

dave_gti

fair play, interesting to see the end result :)

pete1986

Sounds good. A mate of mine had a matt black mini with crome trim, looked amazing. I didnt realise it was a case of litterally a brush and roller!!

I would recomend using a synthetic brush such as a purdy or hamilton perfection. Cost around £10-15 for a 1" or 1.5" which may seem expensive but well worth it as will leave minimal brush strokes. I never use anything else at work.

Very interested to see some more pics

matt-k

I too had considered this look a while ago but my mate said i was bonkers! Look forward to seeing some pictures.

Matt

Coonper

I think this will look amazing! Ive had matt black wheels and they looked the nuts! Cant imagine what the whole car will look like!!

yorkshirekowboy

mate takes some guts but i think your car will look ace, matt paint i find easy to use, just wondering if matt red is avaiable hahahahaha

good luck, keep us up dated.

cybernck

it is and i've seen one car in it - looked good! :ph34r:

AdamVester

Ok here are some pictures looks awsome now its dry but it does need a few more coats there are little bits that seam lighter than others and a few brush marks nothing noticable but i want a few layers on it for protection.

http://www.another-site.net/adam/Projects/GTI6/100_0117.JPG

http://www.another-site.net/adam/Projects/GTI6/100_0115.JPG

http://www.another-site.net/adam/Projects/GTI6/100_0113.JPG

http://www.another-site.net/adam/Projects/GTI6/100_0114.JPG

enjoy!! my sites been updated with the pictures aswell.. oh and thanks for the tip on that brush im looking into it right now :ph34r:.

Atari Boy

I knew it would work out, well done

Edited by Atari Boy

M_R_205

f*** me that looks good, i am now one jellous bastard :)

P.S, Paint them wiper arms, they look shocking lol :D

Edited by M_R_205

AdamVester

no need im getting new ones :) should be getting a new window screen aswell since i got a small chip on the drivers side thats pissing me off.. i can get a window for like £20 dono about fitting though.