• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti-si

[car_overhaul] The Cherry Red Project

pip470

Looks good mate, well done. Get the a gen lamba in it now and im sure you will be over the moon. I think that is the answer t all your problems. Talk soon Phill

gti-si

Well I've just bought ANOTHER unlocked ECU and Loom for £60, at that price, I would of been stupid not too. Will test the ICV with a new loom and ECU and that can't not sort the problem TBH. Then get a lambda fitted and go MOT it!

gti-si

Still waiting for my ECU to arrive before I can get the car MOT'd. Got my Lambda sensor today so should have the emissions sorted now. Gave her quick wash and polish yesterday while the weather was nice. Also spent a few hours cleaning up the engine. A bit backwards doing it while it was in the car but I did alright. It's not the best job in the world but it looks pretty good!

It's all thrown together here, still got to put my other valance on and I'm hoping to locate a new front bumper as mine has some cracks on the nearside. So the bumper and valance are just resting on the iron's. Set up the headlights and indicators though so they look a lot less droopy

image062ff4.jpg

image063xw7.jpg

image068ra7.jpg

image066ct5.jpg

Think the bonnet struts are one of the best mod's I've done on the car! Think they make it look so much tidier. Just another little 2pence of the scrapper I got! Along with the strutbrace...Was a good little pay off.

Pretty happy with the car now, I think it's beginning to look like a nice example again, not just like a car. Feel like I'm drawing near to completion finally. Just some dings and paint that I need to deal with now along with that door decal!

maturin23

Good work - looking good.

You still haven't had a proper drive yet?

gti-si

Lol, i've done a few 3 point turns! I just want to wait until the ICV thing is sorted. I could take it for a drive but I'm holding out :)

GLPoomobile
Just some dings and paint that I need to deal with now along with that door decal!

And take those spot lights off :)

Looking good Si. Seems very low at the front. Have you changed anything since I had it or is it just the weight of the 6 lump?

gti-si

Yeah I've put AVO adjustable shocks on. I also think it's too low. I sold the Eibach springs with the old shocks which was a big mistake. Looks like I'll be buying some 7001's I think.

And take those spot lights off tongue.gif

Hahaha, well I'm going to be getting a new front bumper...and I won't be drilling two spotlight holes in it. They were a good little experiment and looked OK for a day or two, but your right, they do look sh*t.

GLPoomobile

YAY! :) So glad you've seen sense! They would look fine on a road rally 205, that was very clearly for that purpose. But on a standardish looking road 205 they just look a bit Essex :)

Have you kept the group N top mount rubbers or gone for standard ones? Cos if that's the group N ones then you'd be another 5mm or so lower on the front! I reckon that's more like a 55-60 mm drop (or at least it looks it in the pics).

Miles is your man if you want another set of 7001s.

Dan Ingram
Yeah I've put AVO adjustable shocks on. I also think it's too low. I sold the Eibach springs with the old shocks which was a big mistake. Looks like I'll be buying some 7001's I think.

Your right, mine drives reet nice with those shocks and springs on :)

gti-si

B*stard! Told you they were decent shocks! probably better than my AVO's :)

I think it's on standard mounts Steve. But yeah, your right, it does seem to have dropped it around 55mm. The springs are terrible, just didn't have any compressors at the time and thought I'd give them ago! Think I'll give Miles a bell when I've got some cash and get back up to good old 40mm. Just hope the ride isn't shocking with the springs that are on

gti-si

After diagnosing my ICV problem to be caused by the loom, I finally had something to fix. I went about stripping the replacement loom I got and again, removing the excess wires I didn't need. This time I thought I'd do the job properly and remove the plugs and wires from the ECU plug instead of chopping them off and insulating them. I was trying to use a small tool last time with no avail, for some reason I couldn't get any pins out of the plug, even after relaising you had to shift the purple stop :)

I decided to make a little tool rather than buy one and found it works absolutely smashingly! Definitely worth making one for opening up JPT connectors rather than buying a kit for one tool. I made it, ironically enough, with one of the clips from a plug, just straightened ones ide and chamfered both sides of the end. It's thin enough to twist 90 degrees in the housing without causing any damage to the housing, which is a bonus, as you don't have to wiggle and jiggle it about!

Image089.jpg

Image090.jpg

Image091.jpg

Image092.jpg

Image093.jpg

After a few hours I'd made quite a tidy up on the loom and had a LOT of un needed wires

Image094.jpg

Image095.jpg

Et voilla, just need to get some more convoluted tubing on to finish the job. Will fit this tomorrow as I've got some spare and get it put on the car. Just need to get a nearside brake sorted and then it's time to give her a good blast and see if it clears up the problems! MOT time to come shortly afterward

Edited by gti-si

welshpug

if you pull the purple bit out they come out far easier :)

fun when you get your hear around it :)

gti-si

Haha yeah, cheers for the tip, definitely made a slight different :)

Yeah it is actually. Really satisfying when it's all done and you end up knowing the loom in depth, which I'd imagine make finding wiring faults so much easier!

GLPoomobile
Really satisfying when it's all done and you end up knowing the loom in depth, which I'd imagine make finding wiring faults so much easier!

Dunno if it was bravery or stupidity on my part, but I didn't even bother labelling my loom when I took it out! :) I've now spent so much time inspecting the spare loom, untangling the wires, documenting where each one goes, comparing it to CAPS, and producing my own wiring diagram, that I feel I know it inside out and now remember where all the plugs go without them needing labeling.

Not quite at that uber geek level of knowing every wire by number and what it does, but it's a good feeling when you know something in pretty good detail.

Edited by GLPoomobile

gti-si

Exactly Steve, I'd say that's how I'm feeling with it now. I'd go with bravery and stupidity, all rolled into one harrowing experience...It gets to a point where there is wires everywhere and you think oh my GOD, what on earth have I done. Once your over that, it becomes 'fairly' simple, just about keeping your focus on one aspect of the loom at a time.

If I ever end up Mi16 powered, I hope you realize it's you I'll be asking for advice! :)

gti-si

Right, the 6 has been on a power run a couple of times. I took a video of my foot down but I wasn't filming the road (it's not exactly a dual carriageway, quite a tricky back road and not very wide so filming and driving isn't the best idea). The power delivery seems a little strange...

As you can see in the video, its pretty hesitant until 4k and then it really opens the taps. Does that sound right? I thought the 6's were supposed be pretty good low down. I don't think it's slow for one minute, but it just seems a little hesitant when driving. Know you can't see much but have a look. I didn't wanna take it past 6k on this trip for some reason...

Just after I'd stopped filming, I turned around and did another "power run" and a farmer decided to jump in front of me whilst I'm doing 70+mph about 80 yards away heading for him, to shout "stop it you bloody idiot". Now I fully understand why he would tell me to stop it, I'd just bombed it past his house with an absurdly loud car, twice, then gone back for another go...But surely running in front of someone clearly putting the boot down is plain retarded? I had to react instantly to slow down and miss him, he was not a long way off at all...He soiled himself once he gauged how fast I was going, but then again, so did I. Great way to go about causing an accident though, so well done him

Sorry for the rant...Here's the vid

http://s333.photobucket.com/albums/m394/gt...nt=Video010.flv

GLPoomobile
Great way to go about causing an accident though, so well done him

And you were completely without blame, eh Si? :unsure::)

gti-si

Hahaha, Obviously :)

oli-pug

That sounds to me like it could be a cam timing issue or a faulty vss maybe?

gti-si

Hmm, cam timing issue could be plausible. Would being a tooth out have this effect? Can't see it being a VSS issue

oli-pug

Did you have any luck sorting it mate?

Edited by oli-pug

gti-si

Yes and no mate. I was borrowing the exhaust from Phil (pip470) so I had to get that back to him for his drag 205. Before I did though, i drove it a bit more and it's behaving much better, There were a few instances of power loss but it wasn't permanent so it must be sensor related. Don't think it's the cam timing as this would be a permanent problem until fixed.

Gonna get my group N mounted up in a few weeks and get it MOT'd. Try and find the sensor that's playing up. Other than that, bloody awesome :ph34r:

You nearly there Oli?

oli-pug

Sounds electrical doesn't it, fingers crossed it's something simple!

Yeh, mines very nearly there now, i'm getting excited :o Just got to get my engine mount welded and the downpipe sorted, then finalise the wiring and put the rest of the car back together.

I'll probably get my manifold re-angled at a later date but i really haven't got the time to lift the engine out again atm!

Anteas
Find and fix the water leaks to the cabin

did u find out were the water was comming from as my stdt is leaking at the moment

gti-si

Just started the biggest challenge yet on the 205. It's pretty obvious for me it really is the best way to go though. I was 99% of the way through a GTi-6 conversion when my budget evaporated and I was in a right financial mess. I had to sell up the 6 engine to make a small amount of money for living. I was pretty sad to see the engine go, especially after all the work I'd put in.

In reality, naivety got the better with me and I should of never started the project. The body work needed obvious attention when I got the car, and although this was the initial plan, it barely got touched. Rust stayed in the boot, under the seats and in the engine bay whilst I went about putting a 6 engine in. I'm glad I did it, I learnt alot along the way, enough to redo the conversion when the times right, but sense needs to prevail.

I've now started to do the car proplery, the plan is a full respray to get the car looking A1. It has multicoloured panels and through leaving it for over a year, the wings are starting to fade quite badly, making the car look a mess. I was going to spray the car myself, however my spraying location, which I was told was perfect, actually has NO ventilation whatsoever. I will now be doing the prep work, and be paying for the coats of paint, working out at around £400 (will still be shopping around, but obviously I don't want to spend much less as I don't think I'll be getting a pukker job).

I started in the boot, there's quite a few patches of rust there. I've cut out a large 3x9 piece and ground back to bear metal, also have a few smaller holes that need to be cut out. Just need to buy a dremel or alike so I can be more accurate, the 4inch angle grinder definitely has its limitations!

Then moved to the front of the car. I decided to take off the driver side wing, I had a look at the headlight panel and there seemed to be hardly any sealant, as I undid the wing, it took very little persuasion with a stanley to remove it without even a slight kink. As the sealant was none existant I expected some bad rust but was pleasently suprised to find it just superficial. I took the grinder to this and have got most back to clean metal

I'm slightly unsure howmuch underseal to take off really, the bits I have removed have had very light surface rust but I don't really want to take it all off, should I just remove it all, etch primer and then re underseal? Want to do the job properly.

I have also began to repair the inner wing, have cut out the rust and ground it back to nice clean metal ready for this to be plated. Need to do the same on the otherside but in an L as it's slightly worse.

I think as I've got my driveside wing off, I may aswell replace the headlight panel, I did repair this earlier but its not the best job by any stretch, and it's been fillered so theres a good chance of rust coming back. Anyway I can install the new one with a MIG rather that a spot?

Thats it for now, I will upload pictures later on tonight when I get my camera working! Have taken snaps of todays work. Sorry thats a long read but it gives a jist (or a novel) of where I'm going. Hoping it will be a nice read for those hoping to do the same