• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti-si

[car_overhaul] The Cherry Red Project

gti-si

Your bloody right Steve, 1.9 calipers up front, so i'll just give them a refurb like you say, stick some clean disks and pads on, Jobs a good un.

If I get a full respray, i'll definatly get the decals made up, I love them. I don't think the engine bay will actually need a respray, depending on how well I can get a paint match for the bits im repairing. It doesnt havre to be perfect for the bay, might save me a little money! Or is that just being snide?

Just been sorting the old loom out, it's in really good condition about 2 inches back into its wrap, looks brand new so I'm happy about that. I can finally use my waterproof multiblock :lol:

Miles

21mm spanner for the gearbox drain plug, The D/S thing as stated in the old Joke book is for pre 1984 boxes only which are mainly on 305's and Talbot Horizan's

The sump plug can be removed by a pair of mole grips is needs be

gti_al
Cheers Phil, well that just about takes care of that. I'll leave the oil in, its new anyway. Think i'll go and get the driveshafts out then! It's a BE3 box so if the later ones are alright, then I should be fine.

Just undo the temp sensor - took me an alarmingly long time to work that one out...

gti-si

Lmao, hahahaha...

I was about to take that out and clean it up as it was full of rust...Then I thought, nahh, I can't, the oil will drain. Now thats special.

*feels retarded*

Cheers Al

gti-si

Well, engines now out. Didn't come without it's small obstecles but got there in the end. Tidied up the engine bay and got rid of some surface rust under the battery tray and that little arch. Just need to power wash all the grime and oil of now and prep it.

Unclipped all of the headlamp loom and took it over to one side, should of labelled it probably :S, sure i'll manage though. Just waiting for my complete front panel now, picking that up from AutoFive on Thurs (it's five mins from my house, only found out the other day, barmy). Just need to get some welding done on the inner wings now, not going to replace them as it's way to involved for me at this stage.

Is there anyone in the northwest who could help me out with abit of welding? Need to weld a 1.5" x 8" plate on the inner wing where it's rusted in the usual place. Trouble is, I can't weld and don't have access to a welder. Plenty beer tokens on offer, or cash if needs be

One other question, when removing the spot welds on the front panel, what size dirll do I use and is it f"cked it right up if I go all the way through?

Cheers

GLPoomobile

Did Autofive give you a discount (did you even ask?) or did they fob you off with an excuse? Mention the forum, and if they don't give you a discount then let Cybernck know :)

les3002

should be able to get special drill bits for drilling out spot welds.

gti-si

Cheers Les, i'll check out some drill bits.

Yeah I asked for discount Steve, he said he'd sort me some out so no problems there

Paintguy

Hi mate,

I'm a bit late noticing this project, but I wish you the best of luck with it! The best bit of advice I can offer is don't rush it, and get each major job right before moving on to something else. It often seems like a good idea to get everything started at once, as you think that you're making swifter progress that way, but with the amount of time you're going to spend on the car, you may end up losing track of which area is at what stage etc. Do it right the first time, then move on to another bit B)

None of that corrosion appears to be too bad (unless I missed something) so don't be too daunted by it. Definitely get yourself a proper spot weld bit, as they'll make it much less likely that you'll drill right through. It's not a major problem if you do though, but it makes life easier if you don't :)

And what make of front panel is it? If it's a Hadrian one, then do some measurements on it first before you try and fit it (or remove the old one). It may have been a one-off, but the last one I tried to fit was assembled incorrectly (it's made up of around 6 pieces), and wouldn't line up no matter what I tried.

Edited by Paintguy

GLPoomobile

Just a suggestion Si, but since you are serious about this, maybe it would be an appropriate time to try and identify the source of the water leak on the front passenger side and fix it.

I never confirmed it, but I strongly suspect it's something I've read about a few times over the years - old cracked panel sealant along one of the joints in the bulkhead (sorry if the description is a bit off). I've only ever seen a picture of this once on the forum so it would be tricky to track it down again, but hopefully someone will know what I mean and point you in the right direction. One of our foreign members has a resto project topic that was updated a few days back if you search for it, and he has loads of pics of the shell stripped with the dash out, so you might be able to tell from those pictures what part I'm talking about. Unfortunately the problem area is up behind the dash near the top of the bulkhead :wacko:

Might be a tricky bugger to get to if it is the cause, but easy to fix with Tigerseal if you can get to it. Would be a shame to do all this work and still have the bugger leaking :) I bet that fresh sound deadening I put under the carpet last year is wet through already, unless you have had it garaged since then.

Oh, and I also have to say how impressed I am with the progress so far. Saw your other topic about the engine, and looks like you are moving fast. Hope you maintain the pace :lol:

gti-si

Paintguy: Im not sure about the make of the front panel, It's from autofive, there was only one listed. I havn't drilled out the spotwelds yet so i'll leave that untill i have the panel, going to pick it up in a few days. Im just trying to get hold of a trailor and then I'm going to take it up to my local motor man, he's going to cut out the rust in the inner wings a reweld. At this stage, i think it would be far to involved to replace an inner wing, the front panel will suffiece :wacko:.

I've cleaned the engine bay up and there's a few small patches of rust on the bulkhead, all very light. Im going to get them all taken care of when I've had the inners welded then get it painted. Im abit dubious about taking the master cylinder off, and unsure how to do it really...Do I just take the whole pedal box out or what? Im thinking everything will have to come out to spray it? Or can I get away with leaving anything in?

Steve: I think I saw the topic you mean, it sound like a complete ballache! But. like you say, everythings out so it's an ideal oppertunity. I need to take more of the dash out anyway to get at the multiplugs so it's only a little more drama. I'm pretty sure the passenger footwell was pretty wet. I'll investigate that over the weekend. Im pretty pleased with how it's moving, just like Andy said, got to try and focus and make sure im doing the best I can with each thing rather than just making quick passes over everything.

I really need to get hold of some disks now though and get the new hubs on. The cars going nowhere without any wheels! Also, anyone any advice on connecting the wishbones back up? I've not had a valiant effort yet, but it seemed abit tricky! I ended up sketchly moving it out of the garage on a trolly jack...NOT recommended...did make sure there were axel stands under the subframe at all times but still...

Edit: Ill get some pictures up later too

Edited by gti-si

danGTI

That rust looks no worse than it did when I bought the car in about 2003, it's done well over the years since it's been gone.

I look forward to what 2008 brings for the old gal, gti6 sounds good.

gti-si

Just a few pictures off my phone from last week:

Engine out:

dsc00138yo4.jpg

Engine bay before and after cleaning, headlmap panel looking abit sad but it's being replaced next week

dsc00139en9.jpg

dsc00154rp6.jpg

The garage was getting pretty full up so i had to take a couple of hours and clean it up, box up my parts and store them. Things needed a home, especially with the arrival of the new engine.

dsc00148zf9.jpg

dsc00140ru4.jpg

dsc00149vn5.jpg

dsc00150cl7.jpg

Got some better pictures of actually removing the engine on my mates phone, but we've seen it all before!

Leon

dsc00148zf9.jpg is a very familiar sight. I have a garage smaller than yours and I'm always working in my standing space if that makes any sense. Crap working conditions!

gti-si

It is ridiculous and very quickly gets out of hand. Have to be very careful where you put things as it'll most certainly get in the way at the worst possible time.

Quick update, decided to replace the wheel hubs while I had a few minutes spare. Get my new discs and pads next week so i'm going to refurb the calipers in the mean time. Might Hammerite them red while i'm at it? Need to replace the o/s track rod as it's got a bit of play in it, might aswell do it. Whats involve in doing this?

Still need a trailor or A frame if anyone has one aswell? Beer tokens

Looking abit better:

dsc00172ct8.jpg

dsc00174xv8.jpg

GLPoomobile

Christ Si, they aren't brand new hubs are they? If so, how many pints of blood did they set you back?

gti-si

Haha, most definatly not. I unfortunatly don't have that deep a pocket. I got them freshly painted with new wheel bearings installed from Phil on the board

McPikie

To get the hubs that clean, pip clearly cannot have a girlfriend, lol

Tom Fenton

Looks like you are making good progress, you do know that to replace the headlight panel properly the wing on that side needs to come off? Or at the very least be seperated from the inner wing for the first 8 or 10 inches?

Also do not allow the weight of the car onto those front hubs until you have got a CV through them and reasonably tight, the bearings rely on the CV nut to pull them up together and you can wreck them if you put weight on them without doing this.

I used to work out of a garage similar to that, I say "out of" as it had my Mini in it and so any other work was done on the driveway outside. I am now lucky enough to have this to work in- there is a Mini and a workbench in front of where I was standing to take the picture.

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/tom...nt=DSC00133.jpg

Only advice I can give is make good use of the height, e.g. lawnmowers and garden chairs can be usefully shifted up on the walls hanging on hooks or nails to give you more floor space.

gti-si

That's a good idea tom. Well there was a big dinner table in there, i've strung this up to the ceiling so that's eptied quite abit of storage space. If i'm replacing the complete front panel, both wings have to come all the way off? I've got the inner wings to sort out first but that'll be tackled next :S.

The car's not going to be moved until I get the shafts in. Failing that can I put a nylon nut and bolt through the bearings the right size through? Or is it horizontal load that screws the bearings up?

Tom Fenton

The wings don't need to come all the way off, but look at this picture, you will see that the headlamp panel lip goes underneath the wing seam, and then you bolt through the three panels, wing on top, then headlight (attached to front panel) then the inner wing.

DSC00170.jpg

That picture is before the wing went on.

gti-si

Ahh right Ok, I was just thinking of undoing the bolts then cutting through the seal with a stanley, forced between the two. Is it likely i'll wreck the wings or is it very plausable to do it without damaging them?

Tom Fenton

No idea, never done it without taking the relevant wings off, I'd imagine it will certainly make it difficult lining up the new panels, and very difficult getting the remains of the old headlamp panel out, I can't remember for sure but I think they are spotwelded to the inner wing seam before the wings were originally attached to the car.

At the end of the day if you can avoid taking the wings off then do so, as pattern ones invariably don't fit that well. However I have a feeling you are going to have to remove them, and personally I've never managed to get one off without turning it into scrap metal in the process.

gti-si

Ok Cheers Tom. Doesn't sound too good but i'll see what I can do. I'll get my body work man to have a look at it aswell, see if he can see a way.

Alastairh

If you get both wings off without damaging them, i'll buy you a pint.

Seriously. Your opening a can of worms. :)

And there just under £100 for new genuine ones each from Peugeot (ones that fit, and don't rot), plus you'll have to paint them.

Al

Edited by Alastairh