• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
gti-si

[car_overhaul] The Cherry Red Project

shalmaneser
It should turn it black, as it's a dye. I can't remember if anyone has used the black dye on faded early (grey) trim, but I know somebody on here treated their seriously faded early trim with the grey dye, and it worked a treat (turned it a proper dark grey colour). Once my trim was rubbed back with Scotch pads and cleaned off, it was greyish (not as bad as that tailgate trim though) and it's all gone nicely black now. The only minor niggle I've had is some patchy coverage where mine isn't properly clean (mine has been previously painted, and without rubbing it so hard that I scratch the textured finish, it's impossible to get it all off :( ). It's still covered and gone black, but you can faintly see the difference in the shade/reflectiveness where there is old paint underneath.

Anyway, it's only a tenner. Comes in a tiny bottle, but you hardly need any. I've probably used 1/10 of the bottle just doing my arches and side trims with 2 coats each, and somebody else said they'd done all the exterior and interior trim with some left over. Leaves a nice matt finish, which you can then make darker and shinier with bumper snot if you prefer.

I used some of that plasticare stuff on my extremely faded (grey) trim and it turned it really really dark grey, looked ace. That was about a year ago and it wants doing again now, though, although it's nothing at all as bad as it was before i used the plasticare stuff.

well worth the cash IMO.

gti-si

Quick update

Got lot's of pics on my phone to upload but I haven't got the cable. Will get some up over the next few days.

Long story short here, got it in for it's MOT today, and it PASSED :wacko:

No advisories which I'm really happy about. It drives fantastic, only set the tracking by eye, so need it sorting but TBH, handles perfectly, steering is really nice and tight, ride's abit stiff but I love it, so precise.

As for the motor, it's definitely what I wanted, it pulls so well when it's behaving, plenty of torque steer which took some getting used to but I love it now, I almost find it an aid in some of the twisties <_<

Got a dodgy sensor to find somewhere as I'm getting random power loss when warm and some funny idle issues. Just need's some thought over it.

Also go plenty other little jobs to fix, mainly engine mounts, only running standard ATM and they're definitely not up to the job.

But yeah, Job Jobbed

:angry:

GLPoomobile

Remind me - what suspension set up are you using?

gti-si

AVO adjustables atm, they seem really good being fair to them. It's got a slight play in the O/S topmount but that's it. Need some Eibachs to complete though, it's lowered about 55mm and it's just too much

gti-si

I guess I should take a few steps back with this, got a little sloppy with the update on it. This project is by NO MEANS finished :):lol:

It has now done it's first 150 miles, not faultless but reasonably trouble free.

So going back the coolant top hose needed sorting. Instead of going for the thermostat adapter, I decided to use the original housing and a top hose from a 406 HDI. This, with two bends put in at the radiator end was perfect for the job. Doesn't look ideal but I've not had even a hint of any leaks and it's well out of the way from any other components.

th_29072009007.jpg

With that sorted I moved on to the air filter. Managed to find a pipercross cone in the scrappie's and mated that with a Samco reducer, just fit's nicely inbetween the headlight and battery tray.

th_09082009033.jpg

With those sorted I stuck the trim back on, got the coolant in and bled, changed the oil, topped up some gearbox oil and then swapped the wheels over for the MOT. That sailed through after re fitting ALL of my wheel bolts :ph34r:

image328-001.jpg

image329-001.jpg

This thing pulls like an absolute train! Got to say I'm loving the engine at the moment. I know lot's dislike the lack of character compared to the Mi but I love having that extra torque low down, makes driving the thing much easier, don't have to work the gears as much. Had a few interesting moment's with rep mobiles and a content victory with a Porsche :), although obviously he had more to give.

I did have a brown pant's moment the other day. Planted it up over my local motorway bridge, getting towards 5k in 3rd about to back off and I hear a small pop followed by what I assumed to be WOT. Foot off the gas and dipped the clutch to hear the engine die. Slowed to a stop and tried to start her but she died instantly. Managed to nurse her home with plenty of revs, as I came to park up I started to wonder if my "bottle top" had melted and been sucked in. Lunckily opening the bonnet I found it sat on the block, so problem explained.

Made up a plug today though, wasn't happy with the bottle top, worried about problem's when hot and I just don't think it'll seal proerply, even with RTV. Think this is a much more permanent solution though, so I can forget about it now.

09082009030.jpg

Excuse my grubby fingernails

:D

Edited by gti-si

GLPoomobile

Si, out of interest, what is it you are actually doing work wise these days? As back when you bought the car you were on a steep learning curve IIRC, and now you are turning up custom parts :D

gti-si

Haha, I'm at Uni studying Mechanical Engineering, but I work the summer in a family engineering firm. I say work, I've not been needed recently so I've been in at weekend's doing my own stuff :D . The beauty of economic downturn.

I've always been handier on a lathe than under the bonnet, but, as you remember correctly, the last two years has been a STEEP learning curve. Now I understand a lot more about the automotive side, I decided it's time I started using the equpiment I've got at my disposal!

In all seriousness, we've a LOT of equipment down at work, I just have never thought about doing anything with it. I'm starting to get a good grasp on things now though, time to turn things up a notch, quite literally :ph34r:

..That was a terrible pun :)

lukesaddy

Just read the full thread mate,

WOW is all i can say.

plenty of ups and downs through the course of it but it looks mint now its finished, you and your car are defo an inspiration to others :)

Stolton

Lovely looking 205 and good project thread to read. Nice one mate.

Jamal

Rust behind the wing

Image118.jpg

Hi!

What is the production date of this car? I have never seen this reinforcement in the inner wing on 205's near me.

What is the function of it?

Thanks for the answer!

GLPoomobile

If I remember correctly it's a 1990 (Si bought it from me). Definitely an h reg anyway, which makes it either 90 or 91.

That bracing was the subject of a topic a long time back. You may find the topic if you search. It's only fitted to the right hand wing and only later models iirc.

Edited by GLPoomobile

Jamal

If I remember correctly it's a 1990 (Si bought it from me). Definitely an h reg anyway, which makes it either 90 or 91.

That bracing was the subject of a topic a long time back. You may find the topic if you search. It's only fitted to the right hand wing and only later models iirc.

Thanks for the reply. Service Box doesn't show anything.