• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

RossD

[trackday_prep] Project 150

RossD

Cheers Anthony, good to hear you've seen similar issues before.

It wasnt the best oil, some Triple QX 10W40 semi synth from ECP I think.... And when drained it did come out like water!

RossD

Whilst I await the arrival of all the parts for an oil pressure gauge, I thought I'd whip the sump off and look at the condition of some of the bearings.

Pics below show Number 2 main bearing (The grooved one) and Number 2 big end.

They are about 6000miles old (pretty hard miles and a rolling road session) and whilst they dont look perfect they dont look too bad from my eye.

Anyone care to comment on the condition or wear patterns? The flash on my phone does pick out a lot of abnormalities that look much worse than viewing with the naked eye mind you.

The crank itself looks unmarked in every way. I didnt measure anything, but when the engine was built all bearing tolerances were in range when measure with plastigauge and the old bearings.

Number 2 main:

IMAG0336_zps0301b6a5.jpg

IMAG0335_zpscfab5093.jpg

Number 2 big end:

IMAG0338_zpsdda2cb52.jpg

IMAG0341_zps9e00accd.jpg

Edited by RossD

RossD

I'm looking to take the car on a track day at some point this year, and knowing the induction / throttle bodies are rather loud, I took the car out with a mate yesterday and we did some drive-by noise tests using an app on my phone.

Brands Hatch is my local track and they have a 92dB drive by limit. (I'm not concerned by the static test, as the car is running a standard exhaust and is well under any static limits). After a 2 way drive by at full throttle, my car came out at a solid 95dB. So I've got to lose 3dB somehow...... I'm toying with the idea of some soundproofing on the underside of the bonnet and the bulkhead, as I think quite a bit of the noise is generated by the engine bay being like a sound box and amplifying a lot of the noise (Bit like an acoustic guitar works), so this is the first step.

I don't want to reduce the noise too much.... But enough so that I can get it out on track.

welshpug

gti's have a bonnet sound deadening sheet.

rallyeash

Induction noise on my 205 is super loud, and I've never been pulled on driveby noise and done lots of uk circuits!

How accurate do you think an app is? And how close were you testing?

Edited by rallyeash

rallyeash

An example of the induction noise on my 205.

th_VID_20110409_093549.jpg

RossD

The App isn't too bad to be honest - In my old job I worked for an audiology company so I could compare it to a proper calibrated noise meter, it varied from from zero error to 1dB error up to 100dB. We were testing at a distance of about 7 metres or so - I know the drive-by tests are usually done at about 20 metres or so so that might give us some leeway.

I'll check out your vids, cheers Ash.

WP: Yep, they did. base models missed out on this, so getting so thick closed cell foam on the underside of the bonnet and bulkhead may help a little!

Edit: Checked out the specs of my phone... The max is microphone can reliably record is 95db, hence the value we got, so i would hazard a guess that the actual value of the car is somewhat more!

Edited by RossD

jackherer

If you're worried about it buy my Reverie airbox from the for sale section ;)

• Like 1

RossD

I think I'll try some soundproofing first thanks - I also don't think it would fit as I run a TU engine and the bodies face the bulkhead. The brake servo gets in the way!

welshpug

easy solution to that, take it off :D

I remember trying a Db app on my HTC, 85 Db at about 4k on DCC's 8 valve XU :lol:

jackherer

LHD reshell? :lol:

On a serious note while mine might be no use to you if you do have ongoing trouble you might want to consider something similar, it's surprising how much it reduces the sound level.

RossD

Indeed. I was looking at them in the not too distant past and also looked into making my own. However, I've now come to the conclusion that I will try sound deadening first and then take more drastic action, based on cost mainly!

One I looked at was the Pipercross PX600, but they are a lot of money for a thin, flimsy GRP box!

Edited by RossD

jackherer

That is a lot of money for GRP and aluminium, mine was very pricey but at least it is almost weightless!

RossD

A friend had an open day at his race prep firm (http://www.pgmsussex.com/) today, so I took the opputunity to cheekily ask if I could put the 205 on the scales. The 205 was the heaviest car of the day (Well it was the only non-Caterham!) but the weight, whilst not spectacularly light, isnt bad at all.

on_the_scales_zps4f807bfd.jpg

Weights_no_driver_zpsbe2f4968.jpg

So 822kg with half a tank of fuel and a totally standard interior from the front seats forward, stripped in the back.

Weights are without driver, with me in the drivers seat they change to:

LF: 288.5

RF: 301.5

LR: 148.5

RR: 178

Total with driver: 917kg

So I think the best thing is for me to go on a bit of a diet!

Edited by RossD

RossD

Opened up the garage and took the old girl for a good blast around the rural Kent countryside yesterday - First time its been out for a couple of months now. I'm always dumbfounded how much sheer fun it is to drive this - the handling, the noise, the performance!

Slight update since the last few posts, I've fitted sound deadening to the underside of the bonnet which has drastically reduced the anti-socialness factor. Dont get me wrong, its still noisy as those big TB's sing as you open them up, but now a little more tolerable. (Cor, I must be getting old!). I've fitted a new oil pressure switch and Stack oil pressure gauge (Relocated the oil pressure switch with some copper brake pipe and adapter) to keep an eye on the oil pressure, which in reality is fine. The old pressure switch was obviously playing up.

I've got quite a few little bits and bobs to do over the summer before I attempt a track day, cold air feed to the TB's (Underbonnet temps were hovering around 50 deg C on my drive yesterday) oil cooler (Oil sits at around 100 Deg C on a cross country drive, so I figure track work might tip it over the edge), but at the moment I'm just enjoying it.

jackherer

Did you put any coils/loops in the copper pipe?

RossD

What, to counter vibration to stop the pipe fracturing? No need, the other end is also attached to the engine and not the bodyshell and so vibration shouldn't be an issue. The take-off for the pressure gauge then uses the flexible nylon pipe from the point on the cylinder head where I have relocated the pressure switch and gauge take-off point.

Pic below shows the electronic sender for the standard GTi dash, before I installed the proper Stack gauge

IMAG0366_zps80bcf986.jpg

IMAG0367_zps8b92816e.jpg​

Edited by RossD

jackherer

Ah OK, yes that's what I meant but I was picturing them further away!

I'm thinking of doing something similar (but more remote) with mine because the SPA senders I'm using are ~£100 to replace and reportedly can be sensitive to vibrations.

tomcolinjones

fantastic thread! Pleasure to read.

• Like 2

RossD

Well I haven't updated this in a while - Lots of little bits have been done on the 205 to keep it reliable. I've been tidying up some wiring, replacing some of the original connectors under the bonnet with AMP Superseal waterproof connectors.

One quite big improvement was the addition of a 22mm rear ARB. This was from a Saxo, so the bar itself is slightly shorter than the 205 one, by about 14mm. Using some spacers and 306 end-plates, I got the bar to fit. Time will tell how reliable this is (As the splines aren't fully engaged) but its been fine so far!

And now the big (for me) update. I always had track days in mind when building this car but I've never done one in it. Until now. I signed up to a novice day at Brands Hatch and what a great day it was. The car was fantastic - its far more capable than I am at the moment (But I'll work on that!) and its just sensational to drive. Had one hairy moment where I took a tight line into Paddock Hill bend to leave room for a faster car.... And in the damp conditions the rear overtook the front.

http://youtu.be/XWbLCYItf3k - Oversteer off at about 8m30s

Certainly not the fastest but the 205 held up fine. Oil at about 115 degrees all day and the water never went over 85 degrees. Once I'd got to grips with the rear end I could use it to my advantage. Otherwise, no understeer, just lovely neutral handling and the rear end getting twitchy using the brakes if required.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzIxj6_PFBw

Oh.... And no noise issues :D :D :D

Edited by RossD

RossD

So, I've decided on a future direction of the constant evolution of the car.

I'll leave this little picture here, as a clue as to what's happening next in the not too distant future (Probably 2016). For the time being, I'm going to enjoy the current setup!

IMAG1032_zpsbtrlzdct.jpg

Any guesses?

Edited by RossD

Anthony

Going for an EW engine?

RossD

Yep. Will start with the EW10J4S on standard induction and cams with my Emerald running it. Will then look to get cams and TB's at a later date.

• Like 1

RossD

Well I found a GTi 180 engine and gearbox on ebay for the grand sum of £180 a couple of weeks ago. The guy I bought it from near Aldershot, is putting a V6 in his 206. Crazy!

Went and picked it up - it all fitted in the boot of the 406 - I'm surprised how light the engine seems to be. Before I strip it down, I'm cleaning all the outside surfaces - Nothing worse than stripping a filthy engine.

More to follow....

Edited by RossD

RossD

Excuse the size.... Onedrive isnt very good at embedding images into forums...

The engine....

1ErxzTi.jpg