• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kate205gti

Does Anyone Have A Gti-6 Engine In Their 205?

pug_life

cams and verniers for sale kitty ;)

Dixon
dixon - thats not slow :P:D what box is on there? will nab u on msn and bombard u with questions :innocent: ;)

I'm using a 1.9 box. Seems to work well with the engine, but I've not tried any other gearboxs to compare.

Fire away with the question, I'll try my best with the answers.

VisaGTi16v

Keep a look out for a cheap/written off Xsara VTS as its the same engine but with a 5 speed BE3, same ratios as the 1.9 Mi16 405

They come with adjustable pulleys as standard although they work slightly differently. You lock the pulley, loose the bolt on the end of the camshaft then move this tab +/- 12 degrees then do up again. I have heard reports of +15bhp and nearly as much torque gains from a standard engine doing this and still retaining good idle/ok emissions.

Its advised to do the cambelt AND tensionsers every 40k. Mine had a rather iffy rattle coming from under the cover recently. Garage had a look and were shocked at how the tensioner hadnt exploded as it was so worn. This was on 71k and it had a new belt only at 58k so I would do both as matter of course when you get an engine and do the water pump at the same time

KRISKARRERA

Dixon, Looks like ur speedo not working, is that intentional?

Keep a look out for a cheap/written off Xsara VTS as its the same engine but with a 5 speed BE3, same ratios as the 1.9 Mi16 405
That'll explain how they beat the gti6 off the line then. And no crappy right hand steering lock either? Edited by KRISKARRERA

kate205gti

ahh - thats good to know!! ;) cheers! :P

GTI6BOY

Got a xsara box in mine and the difference is amazing

VisaGTi16v

Kriskarrera: Yep although the steering locks not great but the same as on my older ZX 16v. Dread to think what a gti6 is like!

Quicker off the line but it only does ~55 in 2nd so the book 0-60 figure is bad. I think the GTi6 does over 60 in 2nd then is really close after that. Ive not driven one but the engines so torquey compared to the 1.9 Mi16 in my Visa, I am not sure if you really need the 6th gear. Even less so if in a stripped out 205 with TB's. Would just be changing gear the whole time and wasting its lovely torque spread

KRISKARRERA

Yes it's ironic that they should create a 6 speed box with a very close 2nd to 6th set of ratios yet the XU10J4RS is more flexible than the XU9J4.

GTI6BOY

Xsara box

1st 40mph

2nd 60mph

3rd 90mph

4th 120mph

5th ??? to scared

jim205GTI

Very good engine is the 6 ............. i ithink that there could be a bit to get out of the engine power wise aswell

one i would have gone for but came across the mi first then about two weeks later got offered a six :) how typical

KRISKARRERA
Xsara box

1st 40mph

2nd 60mph

3rd 90mph

4th 120mph

5th ??? to scared

What car is than in and how accurate is the speedo?

I ask because the Mi16 gearbox which is supposedly the same will only allow 110mph in 4th.

welshpug

an Mi16 5th on 195 55 should give just over 137 :)

gti6, if it will pull the limiter, will pull 145.

GTI6BOY

with my cti-6 and its 100% accurate (that is what the gearbox does)

Sandy

The 306 Rallye (GTi6 alike) I had in recently had an auto belt tensioner and had been Peugeot serviced. When I took the belt cover off, there was 10mm slack between the cam pulleys!

http://noboost.com/temp/sandy/Cambelt.JPG

How the hell it didn't slip, god only knows.

Needless to say, I converted it to a manual tensioner! So far, so good (fingers firmly crossed!)

smckeown

oh dear, sorry to hear you've had more issues. I Think it's time to take anti oil surge issues seriously now then kate :)

Hope you get something sorted soon

Sean

KRISKARRERA
an Mi16 5th on 195 55 should give just over 137 :)

gti6, if it will pull the limiter, will pull 145.

Noooooooo 405 Mi16 when it had 14inchers 195/60/14 was 19.9mph per 1000rpm in 5th, therefore 7000rpm in 5th would equal 139.9 mph.

But anyway I'm now determined to find the true ratios of the Xsara VTs because 120 in 4th aint Mi box.

GTI6BOY

i just told you

But anyway I'm now determined to find the true ratios of the Xsara VTs because 120 in 4th aint Mi box.

Why ask, call anyone pug-performance/ecosse/pug1off thats the ratios

my box has been in 3 gti-6s and at 7200rpm thats what it is

Baz

My Mi box doesn't do 120 in 4th!!

Neither does any i've seen! :wacko:

VisaGTi16v

I thought that sounded wrong then I went and checked my notes and it is right.

The VTS ratios are 2.92,1.86,1.28,0.95,0.74 and 4.4 CWP

Using Gearcalc this gives the following mph at 7250 based on 195/55/15

That doesnt give a precise tyre diameter though ie if I put in 195/45/15 which I have on my VTS it gives 113mph in 4th with a diameter of 21.91" however I have measured it horizontally across the tyre at 21" which infact gives 108mph in 4th

VisaGTi16v

My Visa only does 104 on the limiter in 4th with its 1.6 box and 13" wheels :wacko:

KRISKARRERA
i just told you
No you didn't, you've got 2 GTI6 engined vehicles so I was simply asking which had the VTS box on it.

That's just confused me even more because 0.95 x the 4.4 CWP is same as Mi 4th and should not equal 120 :wacko:

LOok ere:post-27-1177361243_thumb.jpg

Maybe 115 @ 7250rpm though I guess. Then add on 5mph overreadin on the speedo, so yes I guess 120mph on the speedo might be possible.

Soz for the thread hijack Kate :P

Anthony
oh dear, sorry to hear you've had more issues. I Think it's time to take anti oil surge issues seriously now then kate :wacko:

Don't think that it was anything to do with oil-surge - the engine blew halfway down the straight between Bobbies and Camp at around 5k rpm, and was still showing reasonable oil pressure on the exit of Bobbies (which in itself isn't a particularly surge causing corner)

GTI6BOY

didn't VISAGTI16v just work it out?

I thought that sounded wrong then I went and checked my notes and it is right.

GTI6BOY

You asked me what engine and ratios

then later on you said your detemined to find the true ratios of the vts gearbox? but i said what they were

and now they have been confirmed

VisaGTi16v

Yes 120@7250 on 195/55/15's which is probably more like 117 or something if you actually measured the real diameter of a tyre that size on your rim.

Either way it would be an ideal box for a GTi6 engined light 205 with some 45 profile tyres on. I cant see any need for a 6 speed box. More weight, less steering lock and the engine has a wide enough good power band that it doesnt need constant gear changes. It also pulls into the limiter much harder than my Mi16 which tails off a bit over 6500 as shown on the rollers as well. My Xsara just keeps going. According to the GTi6 forum, Phase 1 (rare!) 306's had the limiter set to 7400 but this was lowered to 7250 ish after that and in Xsaras

Sign in to follow this