• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kate205gti

Does Anyone Have A Gti-6 Engine In Their 205?

kate205gti

as some of u know my mi16 destroyed engine number 4 on saturday :D:(

21042007020.jpg

21042007022.jpg

proper job :lol:

ive had te car 4 years and this was its fourth engine!! so maybe its trying to tell me something!!

ive been offered a gti-6 engine for it - but ive not seen any of these in 205s on track (that i know of at least!) and wondered whether there was a reason for that :)

what are these like on track (i heard they eat cambelts??), what are power figures like? easy to fit? any other options before i source another mi16 lump??

thankyoo :ph34r:

Richie-Van-GTi

166bhp with a cat so decent power to be had, tight squeeze in a 205 for MC clearance, management can be an arse but thats just if the ecu is locked.

Cambelts, they are prone to snapping and also pulley failure but if serviced regular they are fine, best to keep them under 30k.

GTI6BOY

167bhp

fit straight in on original mounts

need to cut away a little of the top of the engine to allow for master cylinder (can supply pic)

dont know about wiring

ragged the arse of mine for 4 years and touch wood, no probs what so ever to date

sound engines, prob 1 of the best engines to use in a 205

welshpug

Carl Chambers PSOOC Norfolk and Suffolk Group leader has a Miami Blue one, totally standard as far as I know and it looked a very capable car :ph34r:

kate205gti

would i be able to swap the cam over if i went gti-6? and the injectors? or is the head design totally different? Ive also been offered hmans modified "anti-surge" head if i stick with mi16

presumably id need a different exhaust manifold too? and a remap??

cheers :ph34r:

Edited by kate205gti

welshpug

unfortunately the cams are different, yes new exhaust fanimold, the stud pattern and post design/spacing is different.

Inlet manifolds IIRC can be transferred with a small mod to the locating pegs, as for the injectors it depends what spec engine you're gong for, but your current ones should be sufficient as they arent too dissimilar.

yes it would need a remap.

Edited by welshpug

kate205gti

ahh cool - cheers :lol: would keep the TBs i think so hopefully the longmans inlet mani would fit on? could sell the cam and use the money towards mapping!

current injectors are rover 220turbo ones so presumably they not an issue :)

got some evil person whispering about mini M45 superchargers too :D:ph34r:

going to strip it tonight and work out what i can afford/blag! :( thanku for the info :D :D

Garry
ive been offered a gti-6 engine for it - but ive not seen any of these in 205s on track (that i know of at least!) and wondered whether there was a reason for that

Well I have seen you at Cadwell :ph34r:

I regularly use mine on track and it is pretty capable, hardly any difference performance wise to Mi's I have come across. Doesn't seem to have any oil starve problems either.........

I would go for it, don't believe all the stuff about extra weight etc.

tom_m

do it!!! :ph34r:

Alastairh

Kitty, you know Garry with the Silver K plate 205 that regularly does Cadwell, thats a 6 :) edit, he got there!!!

Good to see we've got you thinking :ph34r:

Exhaust manifold you should keep the original its like bannas :lol: and minor work to a std down pipe.

As you've got bodies you could sell all the 6 inlet and tb for £80ish (if you do i will have it) so that'll help mapping costs.

As for cambelts there only bad from what i see if you don't do it every 30k, so just do it when its in and you won't have to worry much.

Alastair

Edited by Alastairh

funkymofo

I'm picking my 6 engine up tonight - to go in my track car.

After talking to alot of people and reading up on here alot, it seems like the way forward nowadays.

Plus, if you put a 6 engine in yours now you can be the one to finally clear up the 6 vs mi debate!

Miles

Easy swap, The exhaust manifold is a good design as std so I would keep that for circa 200bhp, Yes the extra weight is noticable but unless your a out and out race driver you won;t notice much differance.

Sam

Do it ! I've changed my plans to do a gti6 engine instead too. Engine even looks better to boot!

kate205gti

hey sam :D u back from australia yet?? :P

cheers miles :D not worried about a bit of extra weight - ive got a few stones difference off most ppl on track anyways ;) sorry i didnt say hello on sat - noone pointed u out/introduced u! :( (and was a litle bit stressed!)

Edited by kate205gti

deejay391

;) very interesting :P

The 6 box restricts the turning motion in a 205 or use a 5 speed box would remove that problem, plus if you pick up a engine with the box on it's another thing to sell towards mapping :D There was a 6 engine going cheap round here can find out if you get stuck.

As for the benifits no oil starve problems to worry about and reg cambelt changes and jobs a good un.

James R is doing a MI/gti-6 hybrid I think try him see what he says :D

As said the exhaust manfold is far better design and on paper a more powerful engine :(

Dixon's got a gti-6 hasn't he? And rich erica's other half's got one and I think he has some spares??

6's are getting popular now....do it :D

Sam

Kate: Not back till Jan 2008!!

DJ: You'll still make very power, I just want silly power!!

deejay391
DJ: You'll still make very power, I just want silly power!!

right behind you ;):P

Batfink

much better engine than the mi16 as you wont have to worry about oil surge as they cured the head issues . Bolt on your current clutch and gearbox and you're sorted on that front. Gi-6 on tb's should be good fun

Sam
Gi-Joe on tb's should be good fun

James_R

Seems all has been said really.

you'd need a different cam for the 6 head, but on the plus side, they're cheaper, and you could sell off your Mi bits to fund it. or just keep the std cams you'll still get plenty of power on bodies.

Bodies go straight on the inlet port shape is very similar :P

Having spoken to a few people who run 6 engine in various cars surge isn't an issue at all, crf405 being one of them and runs 8" wide slicks on his 306 no surge issues ;)

Seen a few which have dropped a piston, but seems uncommon.

Also gives a better power dleivery than the Mi and nicer for road mincing as you get more low end pull.

As mentioned keep the std exhust mani, and then you'd need to cut down a std down pipe and put what ever system you wanted, so coudl sell off the manifolw to help fund things further.

If you can get an engine for reasonable money, new rings and shells you'll be laughing.

The bonus is no silly oil filler tower thing to split oil everywhere, so better than the Mi on that front too.

Dixon

My 205 is a gti-6 track only car and it performs very well. Ignore all the crap about the extra weight effecting the handeling, if you want proof on how well it goes on track have a look at my vids from the weekend at combe...

http://www.trackpug.com/castlecombe210407.htm

That's a bog standard engine in it too, so imagine what it'd be like if you go for the boddies etc route!

KRISKARRERA

The reputation for cambelt snappings is due to the 306 GTI6 cambelt renewal being only once every 72,000 miles, as opposed to 36,000 miles for the Mi16. Obviously 72k miles is too long.

pug_life

from what i've heard its tensioner failure. i know of someone who replaced belt and less then 4k later tensioner failed..

I suppose its pot luck really....

kate205gti

stupid question of the hour - could i use my vernier pulleys still??

dixon - thats not slow :P:D what box is on there? will nab u on msn and bombard u with questions :innocent: ;)

Edited by kate205gti

Anthony
stupid question of the hour - could i use my vernier pulleys still??

No, but early GTi-6 and 2.0 16v's come with verniers as standard (so easy to find)

Your verniers will only fit 1.9 Mi16's and 2.0 Mi16/S16's

Sign in to follow this