• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
max0

[engine_work] Operation Turbo

max0

With the parents away till Friday i decided today would be a good time to fit the turbo engine into my car. ;)

0900 Hours - The plan is formed

0905 Hours - Move (BikesX4, lawnmover X2, Multi Gym x1 - the ones you never use after a month of owning :P, other random bits out of the garage into the garden/kitchen ) Yes Kitchen :lol:

1100 Hours - Drive Car into Garage

1105 Hours - Attack Car with Spanners/Sockets/Drill/Hammer

1300 Hours - Pizza Break

1900 Hours - Stop work take Jim home

2000 Hours - Attack Car some more

2130 Hours - move crap out of garden into kitchen/Garage

2215 Hours - shower then bed

The engine is ready to be removed, which should be happening tomorrow. Ill upload some more pics when im not so tired. Cheers Jim if your reading this for the help.

max0

update got the engine out and removed the rust from the front, also primed ready for painting tomorrow morning.

Once painted im hoping to get the gear box off the old lump and onto the new one, and then mount the engine, wheel it out onto the drive, then tidy up before the olds get back... Its going to be tight to meet the deadline!! :lol:

Andy

post-7868-1172693907.jpg

post-7868-1172693925.jpg

post-7868-1172693938.jpg

post-7868-1172693952.jpg

post-7868-1172693962.jpg

post-7868-1172693972.jpg

post-7868-1172693987.jpg

welshpug

good job there buddy :) just surface rust then? that downpipe is shot!

johno_78

a lawnmower in the kitchen :) just dont get caught

pj838

This reminds me of the 'repair job' I did on my parents newly decorated hallway after carrying my rear beam through it while they were out.. but to be fair to me though, it was months before they noticed the patch :)

Hope it goes well there.

Gtiracer

how long to eat a Pizza??!?!?!?! :)

max0

Just finished for the night. Got a big bottle of becks and im starting to think its going to be ok! maybe thats the becks talking! The drive shafts and wheels are on so i could if needed push it out first light tomorrow.

Just noticed on the letter the parents left it says "see you friday" but on the calander it says there back on thursday! arrgh

Yeah it was mainly surface rust, a few hours with the drill with a wire brush has sorted it.

Kinda wish id left it now :) Any idea why the downpipe has gone like that?

The main thing im risking my neck over is the amount of crap which is extremly close to my dads mint mgb. Not the crap in the kitchen. We did think about moving his car out for a few days but it really wasnt worth risking my life over B)

Cheers again Jim for poping over in your breaks!

yorkshirekowboy
Just finished for the night. Got a big bottle of becks and im starting to think its going to be ok! maybe thats the becks talking! The drive shafts and wheels are on so i could if needed push it out first light tomorrow.

Just noticed on the letter the parents left it says "see you friday" but on the calander it says there back on thursday! arrgh

Yeah it was mainly surface rust, a few hours with the drill with a wire brush has sorted it.

Kinda wish id left it now :) Any idea why the downpipe has gone like that?

The main thing im risking my neck over is the amount of crap which is extremly close to my dads mint mgb. Not the crap in the kitchen. We did think about moving his car out for a few days but it really wasnt worth risking my life over B)

Cheers again Jim for poping over in your breaks!

ace mate ace, might have to pop down sometime maybe sat morning :)

again mate some amusing stuff :(

Edited by surferkid205

adrian_gti

hope your parents dont read this thread..

did you make custom mounts for the intercooler?

great job :)

Edited by adrian_gti

Mikey S
hope your parents dont read this thread..

did you make custom mounts for the intercooler?

great job :)

going completely off topic, thats a pretty impressive spread of cars you got there adrian, any chance of some pics?

max0

Misson failed!

Managed to get the front end cleaned up and the box off but to play it safe all was put back to how it was.

Here are a few more pics, just showing the rust and it semi cleaned and a shot after. The paint colour isnt the best match but long as it keeps the rust at bay for a while ill be happy.

The plan is now to get the box cleaned up and on the new engine this weekend and fit it some time next week... :( Happy Days

post-7868-1172931920.jpg

post-7868-1172931934.jpg

post-7868-1172931949.jpg

post-7868-1172932276.jpg

Edited by max0

inferno

urm... am i missing something?! i was sitting here eagerly waiting for yet anothr turbo conversion... and a quick turnaround to show me up... but u PUT IT BACK TO HOW IT WAS???? why??? nice cleanup though, but id never take the time to stick a gti engine back in, id beat it with a hammer and scrap it first:P

will the turbo be going ahead?

max0
urm... am i missing something?! i was sitting here eagerly waiting for yet anothr turbo conversion... and a quick turnaround to show me up... but u PUT IT BACK TO HOW IT WAS???? why??? nice cleanup though, but id never take the time to stick a gti engine back in, id beat it with a hammer and scrap it first:P

will the turbo be going ahead?

Sorry i meant the garage and kitchen back to how it was,

Turbo is still going ahead. Should hopefully be in next week,

yorkshirekowboy
Misson failed!

Managed to get the front end cleaned up and the box off but to play it safe all was put back to how it was.

Here are a few more pics, just showing the rust and it semi cleaned and a shot after. The paint colour isnt the best match but long as it keeps the rust at bay for a while ill be happy.

The plan is now to get the box cleaned up and on the new engine this weekend and fit it some time next week... :) Happy Days

what clour paint did you use, and where did u get it?

:rolleyes:

max0

1.6 gear box attached and cleaned/pained. Now looks like this...

post-7868-1173625459.jpg

sonofsam

Engine looks very plush mate, shame it will be mostly

covered over by pipes, hose's and loom :D:(

When's the next ETA?

whizzer71

Whats that front top mount off ?

:ph34r:

peter

Looks like a mi16 top mount to me

max0

Top mount is from a S16 i think.

Hopefully ill get a few things sorted like the cam cover etc on. then my mate jim is helping fit the beast and get her running.

Cant wait :o

TEKNOPUG

1.6 'box on a turbo??? Wheel-spin-tastic!!

max0

Engine in today....

post-7868-1174747417_thumb.jpg

rex

Wow, I wish mine was at this stage. ;)

Heh, I've got a double family pack of Heineken's (the decent European stuff mind you) but the project hasn't got any further, largely due to that.

Is your 'box a standard BE3 1.6 or have you modified? I'm planning on using the same 'box too but others seem to have doubts...

Good luck with it anyway.

Rex

max0
Wow, I wish mine was at this stage. :P

Heh, I've got a double family pack of Heineken's (the decent European stuff mind you) but the project hasn't got any further, largely due to that.

Is your 'box a standard BE3 1.6 or have you modified? I'm planning on using the same 'box too but others seem to have doubts...

Good luck with it anyway.

Rex

Beer the downfall of man :D

Its just a standard BE3 1.6 box, ive used it for several reasons. 1. i know its ok, 2. people use the 1.6 box on mi's and 3. i want to keep my driving licence ;)

Ill keep you posted to how i find it.

Mikey S
Beer the downfall of man :blink:

Its just a standard BE3 1.6 box, ive used it for several reasons. 1. i know its ok, 2. people use the 1.6 box on mi's and 3. i want to keep my driving licence :wacko:

Ill keep you posted to how i find it.

in all honesty the 1.9 or a td box is the one to go for. it suits the engines torque characteristics much better.

the 1.6 box is all about keeping the revs in their optimum (+4000 rpm) hence why so many people use them for the mi conversion.

the turbo is a different kettle of fish. it doesnt need to be revved hard. it produces a wedge of torque really low in the rev range so all its going to do with the 1.6 box is explode the front tyres into smoke.

cool if your into that sorta thing, but its soon going to start to grate when you cant get off the line for wheelspin in the first 3 gears :blink:

Edited by pugger

max0
all its going to do with the 1.6 box is explode the front tyres into smoke.

cool if your into that sorta thing, but its soon going to start to grate when you cant get off the line for wheelspin in the first 3 gears :wacko:

Im willing to take the risk and see how it goes with the 1.6 box. Id rather fit a known good 1.6 box than shell out for a 1.9/td box to find its duff. It can be changed at a later date if needed.

According to Seans gear box excel file Seans Excel file there is only 1.3mph per 1000rpm between the first gear on a 1.6 box and a 1.9 box so i dont think the tyers are going to explode