• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

B1ack_Mi16

[project] Project 205 Xu13j4

Anthony

Just hope not it will be a problem with revving a diesel PAS pump to twice the revs of it orginal engine.

The pump itself is the same between a XUD7 and an 1.9 Mi16 (part number 4007 0F) so engine speed shouldn't be an issue given Peugeot clearly deemed it suitable for 7000rpm+

It's the bracket that differs between the two installations and makes the offset different.

welshpug

aren't the pulleys a different size? the belt is quite a lot longer on the diesel, 650mm over 530!

Anthony

aren't the pulleys a different size? the belt is quite a lot longer on the diesel, 650mm over 530!

Servicebox implies that the pulley comes as part of the pump, so that being the case, the pump end is the same.

Not sure on the drive (cam) pulley difference as I don't have both to hand to be able to compare, but it shouldn't matter assuming that an Mi16 pulley is being used. At least some of that belt length difference will be taken up by the pulley being offset rearwards relative to the pump owing to being on the exhaust cam of a DOHC engine, rather than directly above on the diesel SOHC.

Another option is to run a XU10 pump on the sump where the A/C compressor would have been using a relocation kit, or just going e-PAS and some custom pipework if you can do that with the Norweigan "MOT" rules.

welshpug

I was meaning the cam pulley, no size shown for the mi but the diesel is 127 mm iirc.

B1ack_Mi16

The pump itself is the same between a XUD7 and an 1.9 Mi16 (part number 4007 0F) so engine speed shouldn't be an issue given Peugeot clearly deemed it suitable for 7000rpm+

It's the bracket that differs between the two installations and makes the offset different.

Hm, then I think my pump is from some other car and not a XUD7, as it surely is not the same as an Mi16, however the bracket that bolts to the gearbox looks the same as the Mi16 one, and also seemed to be identical regarding offset.

This is how my pump looks like, quite nice as it has the filler/reservoir built-in.

IMAG0668_zps8d466c8c.jpg

I just did a bodge and ovalled the holes in the mounting bracket, so it will line up just fine now.

IMAG0673_zps48857dfb.jpg

I just need to figure out whether I need a smaller pulley on the camshaft end due to the extra revs.

Welsh.. I forgot measuring the pulley yesterday but will try today. Where did you measure? Inner or outer diameter?

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16

Would it not be easier to find somewhere for an electric PAS pump?

Don't think so in my case, as it will bolt straight on with the in-built reservoir, and I already have the matching high-pressure hose from the car it came from.

Hence it's very little work involved actually.

B1ack_Mi16

I have bought a 600mm belt now, but that was far too long so I guess I have to go the 530mm route then.

Hopefully the dealer can help me out. If I can get a belt that suits next I just need to bolt up the ram and connect the two pipes to the rack.

welshpug

Hi Kristian, just re-visiting the airbox as a solution for my zx, did you do it all freehand so to speak, or was there a drawing? ;):D

B1ack_Mi16

Hi Welsh

Well I just used the old one as a "template" for where to drill the holes for the bodies and bolts, but there's no drawing.

So you better just get to work :)

Car hasn't been started this season, really sad. Only needs a mot.

House and T16 takes time and I haven't been able to focus at all on the poor 205.

Hope to get it home in my own garage at least not later than spring 2015.

ftoomsh

Hi B1ack_Mi16,

in your pics of your engine (in members gallery) it looks like you have an alloy bracket for your ignition coil.... what vehicle is this from?

great work !!!

ps, can you also tell me where you got the camshaft end caps from too? nice finishing touch!

Edited by ftoomsh

S@m

Since this has been bumped, i would love to know what model that power pump/bracket came from?

Cheers.

B1ack_Mi16

Hi B1ack_Mi16,

in your pics of your engine (in members gallery) it looks like you have an alloy bracket for your ignition coil.... what vehicle is this from?

great work !!!

ps, can you also tell me where you got the camshaft end caps from too? nice finishing touch!

Yes. The ignition coil bracket is from a 405 2.0 8v engine, I believe it's the same on 306's and other cars with the same engine too.

So it's just not the bracket, but the whole termostat housing that's used.

The camshaft end caps were machined by crf450 (I believe that was the nick) really many years back, but you could possibly turn some yourself. If not the end cap from a S16 can be used I think.

• Like 1

B1ack_Mi16

Since this has been bumped, i would love to know what model that power pump/bracket came from?

Cheers.

I believe I already wrote it some posts back, but it was from a 205 diesel with PAS. Not sure about any more specific info, but guess you can find it on Servicebox.

cybernck

Photos in the topic restored, for the best part anyway :).

B1ack_Mi16

Very long time and no progress or use of this one.

At least now I have decided to try to sort out the stuff that is hindering it to pass the MOT.

Gearbox oil leak and also engine oil leak... 

So started  by taking it out and repositioning it in the back of the garage so it is possible to work on it :)

pofILPY.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

The engine oil leak is due to a small seep from the head-gasket which is a Cometic gasket that I once upon a time decided to re-use to be able to go to a trackday.

It actually did seal the combustion pressure perfect and also water ways. But somehow it seem to have been slightly seeping oil so it would drip on my garage floor.

Started dismantling

Ip6kXqd.jpg?1

iY9nGtv.jpg

Head off.. lots of carbon deposits on the valves. I think it runs far too rich at least on idle, which is what it has done mostly in the last years.

cSZkcAU.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Also as Cometic don't supply a gasket with bore of 88.5 or 89mm I decided to try to give it a go to get my own MLS head gasket produced.

So started designing it to fit both XU10J4R/RS blocks in addition to XU10J4 (they have a bit different water gallery openings through the deck.

It shall also work with at least Mi16/T16 and XU10J4R heads, and a 1,9 8v head from a Gentry 105bhp engine, which is the variety of heads and blocks I have availiable at the moment.

Some measurements, designing and printing later

3NeQnkD.jpg

71mwDPQ.jpg

In the end I bought some laser printer transparent foils.. .much easier to get it right then :)

JDTZOUz.jpg

• Like 1

B1ack_Mi16

Sadly the bores are a bit scored by the piston rings it seem... upper part of cylinder seem to have some vertical scoring.. So I have probably been too greedy on the piston ring gaps when first building it... too bad.

Nothing I will do anything about now, but at a later stage I might try to give it new pistons and a 88.5mm rebore, just to see if it is possible to open it up to those extents... or maybe 89mm.

5ZuZOKf.jpg

Edited by B1ack_Mi16
  • Like 1

B1ack_Mi16

Took the gearbox off and have opened it now, tlooked to be leaking from the guide tube in the clutch housing, not the oil seal but actually between the housing and the tube part itself. It was missing the paper gasket and only put togheter with sealant.

Gear oil looked nice and clean at least, so no problems with the box internals.

LTllV7r.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Also decided to remove the XU10J4RS sump that it had on, and put a regular one without the extra reinforcements for the additional gearbox mountings. It will look nicer and gain some space and additional clearance in the engine bay.

Today I made a piece of metal which I bolted to the new sump to use to make some top dead centre mark on the belt pulley to ease setting up the camshafts later on.

I will look over the head and especially the installed length of the catcam springs to see if they need to be shimmed or not. 

Headgasket is not ordered yet and has 4 weeks lead time anyway so I plan to get it back together sometime in the winter.

BCAprNv.jpg

gaGR7Ud.jpg

Will put a dummy-head onto the block figure out the TDC position.

• Like 2

Andy

Nice work and impressive HG design 

B1ack_Mi16

Thanks, I just hope the production of it will go smoothly :)

Was hoping to get the gearbox back together yesterday, but after figuring out I didn't have the right shim for it, and raiding around opening no more than 4 spare gearboxes I had without any luck I had to call it a day.

At least bolted the main casing down to the clutch housing.

This morning I was at the local stealer which charged me 130£ for a set of 25 shims... well at least I think it was first and last time I buy shims for a BE gearbox.

Ai05um0.jpg

B1ack_Mi16

Took one inlet valve out today to have a look at the valvesprings and do some thinking about the installed spring length/preload.

Anyway first thing first.

Pumaracing inlet valve 36.5mm vs. standard Mi16 inlet valve, weight saving off approx. 5 grammes on the valve.

82O5gIT.jpg v8Of1SC.jpg

The catcam valve springs I have seem to be the exact same free length as the Mi16 ones, but instead of beeing 5 full revolutions they are 4 revolutions.

The datasheet indicates they should be 46.2mm whereas mine are 48mm, also wire diameter really seem to be 3.9mm and not 4.1mm. So I'm a litte bit confused just now.

OX8KOwN.png

Andy

Odd this. I have used exactly the same springs. Can you check a load at , say 40mm length to see if the compressed load corresponds with the data table . In the end, it is the load vs height that is the critical factor  . On the valve front, I went to 6mm stems to get the valve weight down .

B1ack_Mi16

I indeed need to get the load checked, but first I need to find a suitable scale / weight / measuring device to have it done. Any ideas to what is convenient to use?